Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2007 7:36pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The major difference is that the multiple Chun and Krotty empires do not have well known established avenues for practioners to prove themselves, so teachers can hide behind all kinds of outlandish claims.

Local MMA competitions where quite rare in the UK, but a few more are springing up now and the first thing I did when I found there was a local MMA class (to my surprise) was check out if any of it's fighters had taken part in the local MMA comps, and they have. That is that standard that I am judging them by, can't say the same for many other local TMA apart from the Kyokushin and Judo ones of course.

The popularity of MMA still has a long way to grow IMO, and there will eventually be two kinds which will be the McDojo's that exist now under a different style name, who can not prove themselves, and actual MMA groups who can prove themselves.

There will always be those people who do dig the kata, the pimped gi's and the pseudo-science/spirituality of some TMA. For that reasons TKD, Krotty, Aikido and 95% of the Chun will always have customers.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2007 10:36pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i giggled a little

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    12/02/2007 2:05am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    what I don't really understand is the idea that if you change what your school does to make your style complete, you've ruined it or you can't call it by the same name

I mean I have a shitload of admiration for say, Billy conn, but I don't think that modern fighters who fight in a very different manner aren't boxers.

Ty5 has some interesting points - the lack of a set venue to say "this person is the "martial arts champion" is part of what allows all the circle-talk in the martial arts.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    12/02/2007 4:06am

supporting member
     Style: Bjj/Machado/Pittman

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    because we've all seen how ineffective boxing and wrestling have become, its really more of a dance these days.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/02/2007 7:35am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    noooooo not the fate of judo

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2007 9:11am

Style: kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One of the big problems in MMA is that there are no real organizations or united set of rules. MMA has production companies holding tournaments to earn money. Because of that, there are no real unbiased international championships, and anyone with a bit of cash can throw a tournament, inviting the fighters they want, and crown a champion.
    What is to stop McDojo organization from arranging their own internal championships and crown champions? They already do with their current styles (karate/tkd/kungfu or whatever they want to call it at the moment) today.

People say it would still be easy to spot the real MMA from the McDojo MMA because the real mma will have successfully competed in tournaments. Well, the same could be said of them now. They have countless trophies from karate tournaments, but that does not mean that they would survive 3 seconds in a kyokushin karate tournament. But Joe Avarage cannot tell kyokushin karate from McDojo karate, and the same thing will be true of MMA and McDojo MMA in a few years.
    Those who do real karate hate and are as disgusted by McDojo junk just as much (if not more) as MMA fans, they are just outnumbered and cannot change that sad fact. I suspect that this will be true for MMA in a few years aswell.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/02/2007 12:59pm

Style: WHKD & Doce Pares

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess as the old saying goes "the future is now" I'm constantly seeing TKD and other TMA schools adding "MMA" to their menus. This has been going on for quite a while (I noticed it in the late '90s) but has become more and more prevalent in the last couple years.
    I've recently been looking for a place to train and while I'm not looking for MMA (that's another story and I don't want to sidetrack this thread) I just had to call some of the local schools that say they do MMA and most of them have just added some watered down grappling to their TMA. As for competition, I got everything from "we don't compete in tournaments because our rules are too dangerous" to "hell yeah, we have guys that compete every weekend".

I think that just as in any kind of learning situation it is up to the individual to do their homework and find a school that teaches what they are looking for. As for Joe Average, good luck and hopefully it won't take you 3 or 4 schools to find one that isn't complete BS.

Posted On:
    12/03/2007 12:00pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MMA isn't coming to an end.

It's popularity as a sport will vary, but I don't think the concept of MMA will ever die. It exited well before UFC and will long after.

There is a distinction that needs to be made though. Mixed Martial Arts is a concept of training in multiple styles, generally to better your overall knowledge of MA and balance weaknesses in one style with strengths in another.

The competition aspect, the alive training, the resistance vs compliance in training is commonly linked to MMA but really should be looked at on it's own.

Before MMA, there were Karate schools that trained in an alive manner. There were Judo clubs, Boxing clubs, etc that did the same.

What we are seeing with MMA now is it being added as a tag to schools. Instructors and marketers see the current popularity of the sport, and now every school just happens to be an MMA school. Maybe they will teach a couple of submissions, some crappy takedowns, but they will still train them in the dead manner they do with their current training.

That part of MMA, it being added to all these Karate/TKD/Kung-Fu schools is what will eventually fade.

The other aspect people associate with MMA, which is the competition and alive training will still be in the minority of training methods regardless of how popular MMA as a sport becomes.

For the average person the idea of getting a blackbelt without having to be punched in the face, or feeling helpless in a roll with an advanced belt, is quite appealing.

An honestly, most people really aren't capable of that sort of training and will always gravitate to Martial Arts that lean more towards Art then Martial ability.
    Last edited by JPC; 12/03/2007 12:14pm at .

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    12/03/2007 1:27pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So basically what is the point of this article? Is he saying MMA rocks now, but it will suck eventually, so why waste your time when you could just go train in something that sucks right now?
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Posted On:
    12/03/2007 2:59pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FictionPimp
    So basically what is the point of this article? Is he saying MMA rocks now, but it will suck eventually, so why waste your time when you could just go train in something that sucks right now?
    Don't think the author is trying to say stop training.

More like don't be surprised when you see guys wearing tapout gear from head to toe talking about the new sprawl & brawl kata Sifu taught them, and your girlfriend telling you how much her MMA-cardio-bo class kicked ass at 24hr fitness.

Then it will slowly fade away like the kickboxing craze of the 80's or the Kung-Fu craze of the 70's
    Last edited by JPC; 12/03/2007 3:02pm at .
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast