Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2008 7:36pm

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You should be able to pick up a variety of grips for the pistol. Hogue is a good company to start with:

http://www.hogueinc.com/getgrip/merc...ml?id=2&step=2

I think penetration is an issue in home defense. You don't want to shoot through walls or through a person and into another person. After you select pistol you're going to want to pick a good round, something frangible (it's just a good article) and appropriate for your weapon.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    3/17/2008 10:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shito Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sold several STI handguns when I was working for a shop. Accurate, but front sight is held on by a roll pin and did not stand up to much holstering (for concealed carry or competition, either one). Replace that roll pin with a solid pin and you have a very good gun. A pin costs maybe two bucks so hopefully STI sends them out that way now, but I haven't handled one in a couple years.

As for ammo, not a big fan of frangibles as they tend to be cost prohibitive (I won't carry a round until my gun goes through 50 rounds or so of the ammo in question without a malfuntion. Expensive enough with standard hollowpoints). The most common frangibles, MagSafe and Glaser, also often shoot to different points of aim than standard ammo, making the mixed magazines many people carry even more questionable. Also, the first thing they strike inititiates the breakup of a frangible round, turning leather jackets into difficulties and windshields and car doors into impossibilities. The incredibly fast energy transfer makes them awesome performers in ideal situations, but the reason I carry a gun at all is for a "worst case scenario."

Favorite home defense load if concerned about overpenetration: #4 buckshot out of a Remington 870.

Infidel

Posted On:
    3/17/2008 11:18pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks for the grip website, already found the one I want.
    Forcecon thanks, thats exactly what I was lookign for-hands on experience. Ya the front sight looked weak, i'd look at changing it. In the pictures the sti spartan looks huge but it's the same size as other 1911 clones right?
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 10:20am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hope this isn't too late, but I know where a Colt Mark IV 70 series Gold Cup is available for $1000. US. The guy also has a Colt National Match for $2000.00. The Gold cup is about a 1974 vintage and the National Match is from around 1956. Both are about %90 to %95 condition because of the faded color(no rust or pitting). I have shot both and they are great.

The owner is not a dealer so I'm not sure how the transfer would work. If I had the extra cash right now, I would own both of those pistols. Glocks are selling down here for about $475. That would be for 9mm model 17 and 19. The .40s are a little more.

The Colt's were used in competition for years. The grip safety had been disabled for competition but has since been restored. The triggers on the National Match and Gold Cup pistols are very smooth and have about a 2.5 to 3lb pull. The actions are hand fitted and hardened for long life and more accuracy. I'm a little bit of a Colt nut and if these pistols are available in the fall, I'm going to own one.

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 11:32am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Defensive Tactics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just my .02, but if you are planning to use a pistol for self-defense in a potentially harsh environment, the Gold Cup and National Match should not be your first choices. Both are built with much tighter tolerances for accuracy in a competition. This unfortunately also makes them more prone to malfunction when dirty, and more finicky with ammo.

Infidel

Posted On:
    3/20/2008 11:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm gonna have to wait a while before I can drop 2 grand on a pistol.

Tom do you have any dealership websites where I can pick up a glock17 for $475?
    Their usually $850 new up here, though I've seen some as low as $650

This is a nice one too, NO clue how much it is. Ican't find the price anywhere.
    Paraordence Coyote brown night tac.
    http://paraord.com/product/product.html?id=109
    (Can anyone find me a price on one of these??)

You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Posted On:
    3/21/2008 6:56am

Join us... or die
     Style: Aikido,Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will PM you some info. I need to see if this place has a web site.

Infidel

Posted On:
    4/05/2009 11:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I ended up picking up an STI Spartan in .45, just waiting for it to come in. I picked up some 10 round extended magazines and skateboard grip tape to put on the hand grips. I might take i to a gun smith and get a rail attached or milled into the frame. (pics to follow)

I have pistols left on my lost. A doublestacked .45 cal zombie gun (STI Edge), 9mm and .22. The STI Edge will have to wait a while though.

For the .22 I'm going to be picking up a Walther PPK.

Here 's my question though. Initially I intended on picking up a Glock 17 (having picked that over a Sig 226) but when I was looking for .22's (finding the Walther) I found this.

Walther P99. It looks pretty neat. My only reservation is that the PPK is a "james bond gun" so if I were to pick this up it might be a bit cheesy, I don't know.
    Anyhow do any handgun fans have any pros/cons over the P99 (or feel like comparing it to the Glock 17)?

Posted On:
    4/06/2009 10:11am

Style: 9mm/Judo/BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd say go with whatever you shoot more comfortably. I like them both, 2 of my favorite pistols of all time in fact. Get a Glock in the mix and you've got my top 3 of all time. But the 1911 is my personal choice. Always will be.

I don't know why everybody is so caught up on Kimber, though. They're pretty, but they're pricey, and there are far more people shooting world champion worthy groups in the IPSC with Springers and Paras than Kimbers. Kimbers are jewelry.

Somebody from the 1911forum actually made this vid, which I find amazing:

http://www.xtranormal.com/watch?e=20090309024422933
    "Intelligence is nothing more than discussing things with others. Limitless wisdom comes of this." - 山本 常朝

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/06/2009 11:48am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Greetings.

Guiltyspark, I don't suppose you live in Louisiana?
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 6 LastLast