Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/28/2007 3:36am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Defensive Tactics

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The SA 1911 and Sig 226 are both quality handguns. They are also relatively big. My #1 piece of advice is to try them at a range if you can, along with any other handguns that are available. The most important part of choosing a handgun is to find one that fits your hand well. It will make a difference in your shooting ability.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 4:27pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: IDPA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't think you can beat a 1911. Unless your going to by a 20 year old gun they are as reliable as anything short of a revolver. I've got thousands of rounds through mine without a single malfunction/stoppage.

Pro: The slender profile of a single stack makes concealing a full sized weapon simple even in an otwb holster in anything as light as an untucked golf shirt.

Pro: The combination of a grip and manual thumbsafety allow you to carry it in Condition 1 with almost no chance of ND. Not to mention should you find yourself in the unfortunate cirumstance of looking down the barrel of your own weapon for whatever reason, studies have shown that it takes a bad-guy an average of 17 seconds to figure out how to ready the weapon to fire. Plenty of time to ready your backup weapon or try to get your primary back. Vice the <1 sec. it takes to use a weapon without a manual safety against its rightful owner. Many police officers owe their lives to a manual safety.

Pro: It's a .45! If you can't get it done in nine rounds of .45....Well... I carry 16 more on my weak side just in case.

Con? It's a .45! Magazine capacity. A lot of talk goes into magazine capacity but I haven't found any source that makes a facts supported case for having the 10+ round in the weapon, instead of 1 second away, making statistically significant difference. (note to trolls: I didn't say it doesn't exist just that in my extensive reading I've yet to find it)

Pro: It's ergonomics make it a "natural shooter" for just about anyone regardless of handsize and if there is a trigger reach issue it can be solved by swapping out the trigger.

Pro/Con: It's heavy. Reduced muzzle flip/recoil let's you get back on target just that much faster. If your going to carry it on a regular basis you'll have to invest in some good gunleather and even then it can take some getting used to.

Con: Requires a tad more practice than a milder recoiling, no thumbsafety having, lighter
    9mm pistol. For me that's just a thinly veiled excuse to spend more time at the range.

Con: It's a .45! As others have suggested though it can get expensive these days. But if your not going to commit to training with either weapon I'd suggest saving your money and practice dialing 911 while running as fast as you can.

Oh Yeah... I'm sure a 9mm Sig whatever whatever whatever would stop a bad-guy too.
    Last edited by notafighter; 1/16/2008 4:39pm at .

Your RBSD Cannot Save You Now.

Posted On:
    1/16/2008 6:06pm

supporting member
     Style: Spanish Rapier/Epee/Foil

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cassius
    .17 HMR. Semi-automatic. Pistol Grip. That tiny little bullet will **** up any varmint up to coyote size.

Oh, we're talking about people.
    I resent that comment.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 5:04am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Shito Ryu Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Both are good guns and you really will be best served by what fits your hand best. Hold them both, preferably one right after the other. Dry fire them to feel the triggers (won't hurt either of these models, or most modern centerfires for that matter). Shoot them if you can but that's not always possible. Worked in a gun store for years, and people who bought based on the opinions of others without taking the time to develop their own opinion often ended up selling a used gun back to the store a couple months later after they figured out what was right for them. If neither of them really stands out as more comfortable than the other then possibly they are both equally suitable for you, but more likely it means that neither is so check out others. As for the caliber, I prefer the .45 (any decent 230 grain hollow point will do, as long as the gun is reliable with it), but 9mm is ok too (preferably with Speer 124 gr +p+ Gold Dot, but that's hard to find. 2nd choice for me is Cor Bon 115 JHP). Also could vary based on the specific variation of Colt. Most Sigs are good to go out of the box, but I've never had much luck with the standard safeties on Mil Spec 1911's (I prefer narrow extended thumb safeties). If it's available, my preference in 1911's is for one of the "loaded" model Springfields.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/17/2008 6:56am

Style: Brawling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Sawed Off Shotgun!

Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark
    Ya I supose it would but I download music illegally so carrying a .45 is the next logical step in my downworld slide into the criminal world.
    If you're going to break the law Fucktard, then go all the way and saw the barrells off of a dbl barrell 12 or 10 gauge and be a bad mo-fo all the way! Or get a rusty auto-5 and saw it down!

*****! BTW, my family is all in Ontario too! ;)

Stand and Deliver!

Posted On:
    1/18/2008 3:01am

supporting member
     Style: JKD Concepts, Kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ever thought of looking into the XD pistol by Springfield Arms? They come in both 9mm and 45Cal.
    "Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks." - Col. William O. Darby

Posted On:
    1/19/2008 8:57am

Style: Enshin Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Go with quality go with Colt and if have some really money try Kimber or Less Baer custom 45 calibers.

Infidel

Posted On:
    3/17/2008 1:44pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Any feedback on this puppy?
    I'm told it's match grade but at a cheap price because they only have ONE model with no options. You get the STI Spartan as is, around $600. I have some buddies who can get me match grade .45's but their comming in aroud $1500.

With this bad boy I'd replace the grips with ruberized ones.
    From STIguns.com
    $1500 on a handgun isn't THTA that bad but I'm also looking at picking up a glock 9mm so I'm justifying paying $600 for this one. Only thing I don't like about it, besides not having a rail under the barrel for a light is the big STI SPARTAN along the side of the barrel.
    It's single stack so only 7 or 8 rounds but in Canada we're only allowed 10 rounds max in the mag so the 15 round pistols stil get dropped to 10. 8x .45 rounds or 10x 9mm.

Anyone have feedback on this pistol?

Last edited by vigilus; 3/17/2008 1:50pm at .
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2008 3:23pm

Style: BJJ, Striking, TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That pistol got a fairly good review from http://ezine.m1911.org/STISpartan_frame.htm

I've not fired it, though. Sorry.

Can I ask how proficient of a shot you are? If you're already a dead eye and you want the .45 for the assumed stopping power, then I say go that direction. If you want practice and a weapon you can shoot on the cheap, go for the 9mm. It's all a matter of preference and a well placed round is what really matters. I've heard that FMJ 9mm rounds are too hot to provide lots of stopping power, but I believe that if you put the round where it matters the bear/person is going to stop.

300 rounds of 230 grain FMJ .45 cal ammo from Cabela's is $119.99
    500 rounds of 115 grain FMJ 9mm ammo from Cabela's is $95.99

I tend to shoot a lot so I buy in bulk. Maybe that would help you in your pistol selection process.

Infidel

Posted On:
    3/17/2008 4:18pm

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Man thats a big difference. I wonder what my shoulder would be like after firing 300 .45 rounds.
    I'm a good shot, not nearly as good as I am with a rifle though.
    The first pistol I want purely for close range stopping power Home defense and camping.
    I won't be able to practice much target practice for the next 12 months. If I can make it to the range 3 times in the next year I'll be surprised. I definately want a 9mm for target practice though.

On 1911's (like the STI Spartan) are the hand grips pretty much universal? Like will it be easy for me to put on ruberized grips? Or is each 1911 company make them slightly different?
    You are not free whose liberty is won by the rigour of other, more righteous souls. Your are merely protected. Your freedom is parasitic, you suck the honourable man dry and offer nothing in return. You who have enjoyed freedom, who have done nothing to earn it
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 56 LastLast