Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    12/06/2007 12:56am

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    .17 HMR. Semi-automatic. Pistol Grip. That tiny little bullet will **** up any varmint up to coyote size.

Oh, we're talking about people.
    "No. Listen to me because I know what I'm talking about here." -- Hannibal

Infidel

Posted On:
    12/07/2007 11:32am

Style: Yoshinkan Aikido, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Muscle Toe
    Guilty Spark, aren't you in Canada? Carrying would be illegal
    Ya I supose it would but I download music illegally so carrying a .45 is the next logical step in my downworld slide into the criminal world.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 5:54pm

Style: Western Boxing mostly

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark
    Ya I supose it would but I download music illegally so carrying a .45 is the next logical step in my downworld slide into the criminal world.
    where do you live (state)? If I may ask

Infidel

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 6:45pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ontario Canada.

There is white lettering on the 45. As cool as 45's are I don't think I'd like that (vain much?) so I'm going to pick up the glock on their web site instead.

Posted On:
    12/19/2007 1:06pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd just get both. In fact, i want both.

Re: Bears. just stick one of these in your pocket :P
    http://www.gunblast.com/images/Ruger...0/Mvc-102f.jpg
    :new_all_c

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 4:06pm

Style: Shotokan

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    We can talk all day long about 9 mm vs .40 vs 10 mm vs 357 Sig vs .45 ACP, but in the end, as long as you pick any of the above (or other respectable calibers, such as the .357 magnum, etc), then you're in pretty good shape.

Today's premium hollowpoint designs have put things on a fairly level playing field, in that almost any premium design is going to have fairly reliable expansion, while being able to cycle the gun properly, as long as your gun is reliable.

I would feel equally confident carrying around .45 ACP Remington Golden Saber 230 grain hollowpoints, as I would carrying 9 mm Federal HST Tactical 124 grain +P or 147 grain standard pressure.

Now, as for choosing which pistol, you can't go wrong either way. I would prefer the Sig P226, though, since you get more capacity, and it's reliable with any 9 mm factory handgun ammo that you want to feed it, whether it's the mildly loaded 147 grain subsonic plinking load, or the hot loaded 127 grain Winchester Ranger +P+ JHP load.

1911's from Colt are a bit of a mixed bag. Most work fine with any premium hollowpoint load, but some are going to need a bit of fluff and buff. My Colt Defender needed a bit of throating to work reliably with the more aggressive hollowpoints (such as Speer's classic JHP, aka 'the flying ashtray').

I've never had a problem with Springfield 1911's, though.

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 10:10pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by GuiltySpark
    Ontario Canada.

There is white lettering on the 45. As cool as 45's are I don't think I'd like that (vain much?) so I'm going to pick up the glock on their web site instead.
    That's about as dumb as picking an MA school by which one has the coolest t-shirt.

Infidel

Posted On:
    12/20/2007 11:29pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal
    That's about as dumb as picking an MA school by which one has the coolest t-shirt.
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal
    wrong

Anytime you pick the pistol up you're gonna say ahh **** I like .45's but I really hate that stupid writing....

Oh, that writing bugs me....

Then you'll pick it up more and more and say **** man, that writing is fucking ugly! Other shooters are probably looking at me saying **** look at that dudes ugly piece, what a romo.
    Then you'll sell it for much cheaper than you bought it because you wanna get rid of it asap and buy a new one.

LFC dude.
    LOOK COOL FACTOR. Know it. Use it.

Chemestry, awesome post!

By choosing the ever cool glock right now I can get a .45 later that I have no dislikes with.

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 12:00am

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have both (although my 1911 does not have any white lettering on the side). If you plan on putting your work in and getting good with a pistol I would steer you towards a 1911 (preferably Kimber). There are so many decent 1911's out there I can't imagine you won't be able to find one with "cool factor". Safe shooting.

Sigs are also great. I have a Sig 245 (.45 ACP). One of my favorite carry guns.

And it looks cool.
    Last edited by Vorpal; 12/21/2007 12:03am at .

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    12/21/2007 2:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you bought something that wouldn't work because you thought it looked cool, I'd snort in derision, too.

But if you pass on something that would work because you don't like the aesthetics, moving on to another quality firearm that will also work, that's not such a big deal.

Now, that said, have you fired the GLOCK model that you're now getting? Do you know how it fits your hand? Do you know that the trigger will be OK for you? These things matter. I love my 30, but it doesn't quite fit my hand. It's a brick. I should trade it, I keep thinking I'll trade it, but I never quite do it because it's reliable and powerful and all the things a small handgun should be except ergonomically correct.

Again and again, over and over I tell you three times: hand fit, hand fit, hand fit!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123 456 LastLast