Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 5:39pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: karate,jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

does no head striking In kyokushin kai make sloppy fighting?

I just want peoples opinion on this with out it getting to competetive and personal.

watch a few clips on Google and youtube and than make judgement.

thanks, Jordan

The gift that keeps on giving

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 5:59pm

supporting member
     Style: On hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How does not striking to the head = sloppy?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 6:01pm

Style: BJJ - SBGi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wouldn't say it makes you sloppy? but if you dont train something, and we play like we practice... then it leaves something to be desired for sure.

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 6:03pm

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If by sloppy you mean tame, then yes!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 6:26pm

Style: Hillbilly Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are no submissions in greco-roman wrestling. Is this sloppy grappling?

I never understood the idea that in order for one style to "prove itself" it has to be able to go up against any other style and win. If a football player goes one-on-one against a basketball player in a game of half-court and loses does this invalidate football as a "real" sport? Nope. Different sports have different rules and skill sets. It's up to the individual to decide what is most interesting and why.

So, in short, I guess I'll answer the question with a question: Sloppy compared to what?

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 6:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bits and pieces

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If he means compared to WKF point sparring I'll kill him. As in brutally beat him to death. With Kyokushin.

McCainosaurus Rex

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 6:35pm

Style: Very Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can see where it would cause problems in a real fight, yes, if that's what you mean.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 8:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: karate,jiu-jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hold up Guys, I love to watch and study Kyokushin kai, I just mean Isn't it a little un realistic? In a real fight you can hit the head, which leaves out a lot of techniques and defence work. I just see them leaning on each other and punching in a circuler almost haymaker style to the gut. BUT listen to me I have done kyokushin kai Like practices and loved and have respect for it, but doesn't it seem very unwise to leave out the head.

My teachers ,teachers ,teacher Shegiru nakamura,( did I spell that right?) talked to mas oyama about using bogu gear to keep it like a real fight with head shots. I mean oyama was a great martial artist who used to hit his opponents in the head. I've seen him do it in a clip on someone . IT was very impressive to say the least. SO please do not take offence to this Odacon, I meant nothing by my obserevation, I just wanted to see if I'm the only one out there that feels this way.

sorry for any qurals I may have caused. I really mean it, sorry!

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 8:28pm

Style: kenpo, Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think it may actually be useful to be in real fights/matches with restricted rule sets. I had to learn take downs in high school wrestling (taking the defense and pinning your opponent after words was very risky with this rule set.) I have just started bjj and submissions are a must since ground and pound is not an option. It definitely forces me out of my comfort zone. Of course wide open rule sets (mma) are the final test of abilities, (I have yet to take that test) but I think the different live competitions with various rules can develop some great skills.

A variation on this theme: Is practicing mma from day 1 of your martial arts life the best way to develop a complete skill set?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 9:03pm

Style: kyokushin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    kyokushin fighters who do not train outside the knockdown rules (where punches and elbows to the head are banned), get a weakness when it comes to headpunches.
    But I would not call that sloppy.
    Boxers develop a real weakness against lowkicks. That does not mean that they are sloppy either.

But kyokushin is not only about the knockdown rules. There are kyokushin guys that trains with headpunches. Some even compete with headpunches nowdays. And Kyokushin guys often trains with boxing gloves and kickboxing rules.
    Some kyokushin offshots like seidokaikan and shidokan has solved the problem in other ways. (seidokaikan adds kickboxning rules in extension rounds. Shidokan has its triathlon rules with separate trad knockdown/kickboxing/MMA rounds in the same fight)

But if you only train with a rule set, you will get bad habits from adapting too much to the rules. Still, that is not "sloppy". its more like "overly specialized".
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast