Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 3:06pm

Style: Brazillian Jiu Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Frostbite Vale Tudo

If you live in the Fairbanks/Fort Wainwright/North Pole area of Alaska, and you are interested in training BJJ or MMA, then Frostbite Vale Tudo is the place for you. We offer the best BJJ instruction in the Fairbanks area, which we proved in our domination of the Shoot Out at the OK Corral Submission Grappling Tournament in April of 2007, as we took home the titles in every weight class except one, easily capturing the Team Title. Our instructor Jeff Nielsen is an incredibly knowledgeable BJJ brown belt under Marcelo Alonso (Team Carlson Gracie). Jeff also holds a black belt (I forget if it is 2nd or 3rd degree) in Karate, and has taught boxing at the local boxing gym. There are also several assistant coaches (blue belts and a one stripe purple) who are happy to help out.

Our MMA fighters have also enjoyed success in several fight leagues, most notably the Alaska Fighting Championships (AFC) in Anchorage, Alaska.

Instruction in Gi, and no gi grappling, as well as MMA is available. There is currently a kids bjj class offered on Mon/Wed/Fri 4-6 pm.

Gi training is not required (unless you want to advance in BJJ belt rank), though it is recommended.

If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Jeff Nielsen via the Frostbite Myspace page, or PM me. Thanks, and we hope if you are ever in our neighborhood, you will stop by and see us.

Our information on SubFighter.com:
    http://www.subfighter.com/academy-427.html
    Last edited by AKRhino; 4/26/2010 4:51pm at . Reason: Things have changed

Registered Member

Posted On:
    4/26/2010 5:01pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I adjusted the ratings, raised a couple, lowered a couple. I lowered the grappling to 7, since our coach (now a brown belt under Marcelo Alonso) has not competed in any high level tournaments (mostly due to lack of high level tournaments in Alaska, though I do know he is planning on changing that. We now have a cage which has increased the size of our training area. We are also now offering a regular kids BJJ class, as well as a regular strength and conditioning class, and regular sparring on Sunday.

We've come a long way since I started in 2006. When I started there was only one blue belt, and that was Jeff. Now, Jeff is a brown belt, I am a blue belt (and there are at least 5 other blue belts who attend regularly, and 3 of us are assistant coaches, and there are 2 purple belts who attend regularly as well (though only one of them is under Marcelo currently (this is due to the fact that Fairbanks is attached to Fort Wainwright, so we get new people from the military fairly regularly, and one of the newer ones is a purple).

Our MMA record speaks for itself (not that I have the actual gym record or anything, but we win more than we lose by a wide margin), and we are well respected by gyms around the state. We are still the only place in town that has legitimate BJJ training. If you have questions or comments about this review, please ask and I'll do my best to explain why I rated things the way I did, and adjust things if they need further adjustment.

Finally, if you find yourself in Fairbanks, feel free to stop by and play along!!!!!!!!!!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/15/2013 7:27am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm... Was going to update this, as we're in a new larger, better location.. I don't see the rankings... Should I just scrap this and do a new one?

Posted On:
    3/15/2013 10:48am

Business Class Supporting Memberstaff
     Guy Who Pays the Bills and Gets the Death Threats Style: MMA (Retired)

Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, go ahead, and link this one in that.