Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 2:58pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Obviously it's encountered frequently that people who have legitimately studied under a well known martial artist can have less than stellar skills (or just be a bad teacher). Likewise, someone with no lineage at all could be a highly skilled fighter and instructor. I don't see any of the BJJers using lineage as an acid test for whether or not someone is a good instructor but the lay of the land right now (newness of the art, rarity of blackbelts) makes it availible as an acid test for credibility. If I hung a sign out that said "NJ Style Grappling" and a BJJer asked me where I learned and I said "In my backyard wrassling my buddies" I don't think they would have any heartburn with it. If I hung a sign out that said "BJJ Dojo, Black Belt Instruction, Gracie Approved" they certainly should ask me about lineage. I could have the exact same skill set in either scenario, the issue is less about my skills and more about my character. I think BJJers see that with it's popularity BJJ is being watered down, McDojoed and used to defraud people. The fact that they are going through great pains to arrest this process is a testament to their dedication to their art. I do believe however that in a few short years it will become increasingly more difficult to combat this trend. TMA schools have to pay the rent like everyone else and if they have to reinvent themselves as BJJ/MMA gyms they are going to do it.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 3:13pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sempaiman
    I'm sick and tired of the Wing Chung lineage crap and who is a student of who, and now it appears that BJJ is becoming imbedded with this leanage ****. Who cares about lineage but is the guy skillfull and can he fight and can you learn form him..... I know I will be flamed but I feel better now.....
    Last I checked there was no lineage wars in BJJ.

You don't have BJJers running around saying they have "teh real BJJ."

You don't have BJJers ambushing other BJJers at seminars and getting into girly slap fights on the ground like you do in WC.

You don't have terabytes of wasted bandwidth on dumbfuck threads about who's got the better BJJ and why.

You don't have a handful of BJJers who can't fight laying claim to Helio's legacy like you do with Yippers and WC.

You don't have copyrighting or trademark bullshit in BJJ, there are no "_" spaces in "brazilian jiujitsu." ****, even techniques are spelled and referred to the same way no matter where you go - "kimura" is spelled "kimura", no one trademarked that **** like they do in WC, where everything is solved by intellectual property suits because most of them are pussies. Bil Jee, Biu Tze, Biu Gee, I mean come the **** on. The only exception I can think of in BJJ is d'arce choke vs brabo, and most people would know/accept either term.

Lineage problems my ass. Don't even compare with the chun.

/nutriding.

Senior Administrator

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 3:19pm

staff
     Style: JKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The "within living memory" thing is the only reason we can still make a point of asking lineage.

Watch what happens when Helio stops drinking the blood of virgins and finally dies (or whatever he's doing to keep alive) and the older brothers start dropping out of the art.

It's gonna be like 5 minutes after someone on the Titanic 3rd class deck says "Say, did that sound like we hit an iceberg or what?".
    Monkey Ninjas! Attack!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 3:29pm

supporting member
     Style: fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    some stuff about BJJ not being similar to _ _

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 3:32pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    To the OP, representing yourself in a truthful manner and a specific individual's aptitude for martial arts are not related. Nor is one dependant on the other.

Ergo, as others stated, the fact that someone falsely claiming to be a BJJ blackbelt has no bearing on his martial skill. Look at it as false advertising. The faker is cashing in on BJJ's reputation. The fact that he could be a legitimate badass does not change this.

I've put over six years of sweat, blood and hard work on the mat to get my purple belt. So when I hear of someone claiming to have rank in BJJ who is unwilling to cite their lineage, I take that pretty seriously.

Just like any other martial artist who trains and spars hard and takes pride in his art.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 3:45pm

Style: n/a

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by EternalRage
    Last I checked there was no lineage wars in BJJ.
    http://www.bullshido.org/martialarts/Lineage_wars

:)
    Last edited by Tomas Drgon; 11/30/2007 3:48pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 3:45pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by sempaiman
    I like to collect them, and here is one your way....but who cares who taught you but are you any good.
    Since you brought it up did you get one from me you whiny bitch?

Nope.

Just so you know your dots are white. Bwahahahahaha they affect nothing.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 11/30/2007 3:47pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 3:48pm

Style: n/a

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also, lineage wars != false claims.

What BJJ people are sensitive to are false claims of association.

Tomas

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 4:49pm

Style: Baihequan, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by JKDChick
    The "within living memory" thing is the only reason we can still make a point of asking lineage.

Watch what happens when Helio stops drinking the blood of virgins and finally dies (or whatever he's doing to keep alive) and the older brothers start dropping out of the art.

It's gonna be like 5 minutes after someone on the Titanic 3rd class deck says "Say, did that sound like we hit an iceberg or what?".
    Sad but true. Even some of the best martial arts are not above petty lineage wars. Case in point: Kyokushin

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 6:51pm

Style: Inept BJJer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can't believe there isn't SOMEBODY out there, some legit (but unethical) BJJ blackbelt, cranking out blue and purple belts for cash.

But this observation has nothing to do with the original post, which is just silly.

As long as there are competitions, we will know who is good at BJJ. "I was a three time state champion" > "I have a black belt," anyway, whatever the art.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast