• Register
Our Sponsors:

Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 11:55am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Anyone have info on American Top Team Level 1 MMA Certified Academies?

My Instructor at my Karate school just notified me that as of the new year we will be a Americant Top Team affiliated school. I beleive, after looking at ATT's web site that this will mean that we are a "Level 1 MMA Certified Academie"? Anyone train at a location that is affiliated with ATT? How much more are the dues? Anyone in FL ATT have any info on what this means for my training if my school becomes affiliated?

I know ATT's history, and I know in FL they are a world class school. Im just wondering what I can expect them to bring to my school and what I will be getting out of paying ATT dues. My instructor leaves in a month with his assistant to go through ATT's Instructor program. Any comments from anyone who attends a ATT affiliated school, or anyone who trains at ATT that has any knowledge of this program would be greatly appreciated.

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 3:51pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not sure if I posted this in the proper forumn either.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 6:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Either Newbietown or YMAS would suffice.

This was mentioned in a previous thread on the ATT:MAIA programs here:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/showthread.php?t=62333

I believe Anthony and GoldenJonas are with ATT, and they posted briefly on this topic.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 10:52am

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Van
    My Instructor at my Karate school just notified me that as of the new year we will be a Americant Top Team affiliated school. I beleive, after looking at ATT's web site that this will mean that we are a "Level 1 MMA Certified Academie"? Anyone train at a location that is affiliated with ATT? How much more are the dues? Anyone in FL ATT have any info on what this means for my training if my school becomes affiliated?

I know ATT's history, and I know in FL they are a world class school. Im just wondering what I can expect them to bring to my school and what I will be getting out of paying ATT dues. My instructor leaves in a month with his assistant to go through ATT's Instructor program. Any comments from anyone who attends a ATT affiliated school, or anyone who trains at ATT that has any knowledge of this program would be greatly appreciated.
    This just in-

I was checking my email at work this morning, and it turns out that my school is having a Gracie JJ seminar and that my head instructor is going to try and teach crappling off of it. We're ITA (Alliance- A split off of the ATA, I believe), and our school has always been pretty above average as far as a McDojang goes, but we'll see after this how far down the money making rabit hole can go.

If this is the case, it seems the trend is to seminar your guys and get them to teach crappling until you get a certified teacher....

hmmm....

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 11:24am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyril
    This just in-

I was checking my email at work this morning, and it turns out that my school is having a Gracie JJ seminar and that my head instructor is going to try and teach crappling off of it. We're ITA (Alliance- A split off of the ATA, I believe), and our school has always been pretty above average as far as a McDojang goes, but we'll see after this how far down the money making rabit hole can go.

If this is the case, it seems the trend is to seminar your guys and get them to teach crappling until you get a certified teacher....

hmmm....

Do you realize that ITA is the only TKD school I found that was crappier than ATA?

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 11:34am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I trained in both ITC and ATA years ago. No matte what you have to say about one or the other, they are still both TKD.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 11:36am

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Omega Scrooged Me
    Do you realize that ITA is the only TKD school I found that was crappier than ATA?
    Look. I know what you mean. But the ATA school has gone further downhill than you can imagine.

EDIT: I'm not going to try and promote my school. Ever. They are good for a community of friendly people, and that's about it. Their Martial Arts are okay, and only because the conditioning is good for the suits that come in later at night. It is not ever going to produce a title fighter, or going to make any decent job in an ameture venue.

What they are good at-
    The teacher was heavy into weightlifting (says he) before he injured himself and instead moved to TKD (says something about the strength level of our classes, huh....)
    The instructor is very informative and not extremely high on the traditional aspect of the martial art, more on the effective fighting part. He teaches shoddy boxing for our handwork and we spar for a third of each class. (Whoo hoo... 20 minutes)

What they are bad at-
    A lot of line drills. Followed by focus pads, followed by forms (read: kata) does not make for a good training regimen.
    Too many forms and gradings.
    Too expensive.
    Too many testings, but they do make sense in a non-money making way.

I am not going to try and pass off the crappling that he starts teaching as the real gracie jiu-jutsu just because he attends the seminar, but I will say that at least he's trying. Now if he gots some brains and hired a real grappler, it'd be a step in the right direction.
    Last edited by cyril; 12/04/2007 12:01pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 12:01pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyril
    Look. I know what you mean. But the ATA school has gone further downhill than you can imagine.
    I don't need to imagine, we have both group of schools in the next county. I visit them every once in awhile just to amuse myself. The ITA school is completely disillusioned and the ATA, well we could go all year with that peace of (insert colorful metaphor here).

I've got the information on the ATT by the way. Just the advertisement though.