Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2007 1:26pm

Style: Proudly Shaolin Do.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, You'd get tai chi sword at the second rank in the internal system, so about 3 or 4 months tops,

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 7:28am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ex-tai chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by eyebeams

Lots of sets have the "gim hand": a two finger hand position that you place near your wrist. This was explained to me as a way to keep your hand from waving around where somebody can cut it.
    the talisman hand yeh? Everyone seems to have a different reason for it, but I find in the sword form i've been taught, it's more of a balance thing?

But yeah, variance, if you pick up the tai chi yang style jian form, your best bet would be to go to the grtc forums (great river taoist center) website. You'll be able to find it if you just punch it into Google. It's a tai chi group in Australia that actively practice the yang sword form as well as open hand. The forums there should be able to help you out

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 7:39am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: ex-tai chi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    btw, i've actually got the same jian as you, except i went 4 the tightass version of the monosteel. Good jian for forms, altho i find the p.o.b a little too much to the blade

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 7:39am

Style: Boxing, Wushu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If Jet Li is your inspiration then go with wushu. Why? Because what Jei Li does is wushu.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-ZRJg025Yuw

note: that is not Jet Li.
    Last edited by nezha; 12/04/2007 7:43am at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 8:18am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 1:24pm

Style: Baihequan, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Very nice video of weapons training. You can tell the teacher understands his weapon.

The movement look weird and flowery in the air, but once you see them being applied on someone, it starts to look much more like fencing.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 6:13pm

Style: EF UM A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tatsu84
    btw, i've actually got the same jian as you, except i went 4 the tightass version of the monosteel. Good jian for forms, altho i find the p.o.b a little too much to the blade

really? how long did it take to get yours made?
    it seemed to take forever for mine. I should have opted for the cheaper monosteel
    the folded steel blade pretty nice though. not sure if it was worth the cost difference yet.

To me it seems a little heavy as I'm used to shorter length swords and heavy escrima sticks so I haven't formed too much of a opinion on the POB yet. I just know that I can't
    do any backhands with it very well. but I might just be unaccustomed to the weight and need to build up my wrists and forearms more to properly handle the sword. also the style (point/cut) as opposed to slashing might have something to do with my unfamiliarity with it.

and do you mean you find the POB too biased towards the blade (too blade heavy)

how do you compare it to other jians you own/have tried?
    I seem to like the weight/POB of the Adam Hsu Paul Chen Jian as I can wield that much easier than the eastwind one but its not a legit one as its strictly wushu/forms.

I bought it with the understanding that it had the most research done into it as far as being a reproduction of a real jian. and they took polls from various CMAers on swordforums about it.

thank you for the forum. Ill be registering on there and lurking/asking about it there.

also that video was awesome. I wish there were more videos like that and teachers who taught application like that instead of just form.

Its damn near impossible to find applied jian videos on youtube.
    can anyone recommend any good dvds?

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 6:28pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Post pics please. I think mine may be different.

Also it may be the weight and your wrists. As you do more with the sword, the flexibility and strength in your wrists increase.

I'll look for DVDs. I found that video by accident. The wushu clip hurt my eyes. :)

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 6:40pm

Style: Kickboxing/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I wonder what those practice swords in the app clip are made of. I have a couple of one-piece wooden ones, but I want to make padded weapons to practice with my son.

I think the hardest thing for me to get is getting the mechanics of the cut down. My instinct is to whip and retract instead of really getting the shot to sink after contacting with that quick stroke. Then again, since this is one of my problems with empty handed application it's no surprise.

Administrator

Posted On:
    12/04/2007 6:44pm

staff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast