Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    11/29/2007 10:58am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Boxing guards are very often lower then what you see in muay thai and it's easier to move in on someone trying to kick you then it is on someone trying to punch you.

Though that second part is mostly my opinion and experience more then anything. Your mileage may vary (especially if you're a horrible boxer with bad footwork)

Posted On:

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Native Thai boxers are also generally better at elbows than hooks and uppercuts, compared to their western counterparts.

Registered Member

Posted On:

Style: boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't know much about MT except the basics, can anyone tell me, in their training at least, what percentage of time or sparring is dedicated to hands? Also, I had read once (long ago, no source) that style differed greatly between fighters from Thailand and MT fighters from Europe or America.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/29/2007 11:01am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by kekekeke
    blah blah about old news on boxing and MT and more blah blah

Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    11/29/2007 11:04am

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theword
    Also, I had read once (long ago, no source) that style differed greatly between fighters from Thailand and MT fighters from Europe or America.
    This is pretty accurate. Stylistically, western fighters are much more punchy.

Someone already mentioned the point system, in America it's not unheard for punches to be worth as much as kicks, or not that much less. IMO that makes them much less attractive then they might otherwise be.

Posted On:
    11/29/2007 11:10am

Style: bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    Boxing guards are very often lower then what you see in muay thai and it's easier to move in on someone trying to kick you then it is on someone trying to punch you.

Though that second part is mostly my opinion and experience more then anything. Your mileage may vary (especially if you're a horrible boxer with bad footwork)
    Hit that on the head Anna. It is far easier to move in on somone and take a angle after countering a kick then a punch. In fact, this is something you can actualy take out of point sparring and apply to actual ring fighting.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2007 11:20am

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity

bwah you're right about the guards. i'm having a brain-wrong. i meant about the torso gap left without the knee guard.

i generally agree with the kick countering but it depends heavily on the kicking style and the persons guard.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/29/2007 11:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Judoka are great at everything. They gave us our own Olympic sport to keep us from winning all of the others!

Also if I leave a duck egg in my gi overnight it turns into solid gold.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2007 5:38pm

Style: diet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MT fighters sucks at summoning their chi force...

Submitting 1d6 Investigators per round

Posted On:
    11/29/2007 6:14pm

supporting member
     Style: ZHOO ZHITSU

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seanyseanybean
    Well MT should have some decent boxing skills, it is allowed in the rules. Unlike most of the examples most people have stated.
    Boxers are good at boxing.

Thai fighters suck at boxing.

MMA fighters /really/ suck at boxing.

Shockingly, when someone has to train boxing, kicks, grappling, clinchwork, and takedowns in the same amount of time someone else has to train boxing, kicks, and clinchwork, they're not going to be as good at boxing, kicks, and clinchwork. Further shockingly, when someone has to train boxing, kicks, and clinchwork in the same amount of time someone else has to train just boxing, they're not going to be as good at boxing.

This ain't rocket surgery, folks.
    Undisputed KING OF ASSHOLES.
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast