Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 12:10am

Style: Moo Thai & Crappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Delete
    Last edited by Mayhem; 11/30/2007 12:21am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 12:10am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by namaste
    If your looking for more experienced grapplers then I'm probably not your man!

As per your PM, I've been training at fitness and fight for about 8 months now under Brian Ebersole who runs the MMA classes, and before that under Marc Oakes who is a local MMA fighter.

I also trained at Gracie Barra Cannington before that, for around 4 months, but left the school because I moved NOR, and wanted to train some wrestling and boxing aswell.

Do you know a ryan from the Mt Lawley Capoeira/BJJ school? he trains at fitness and fight sometimes, and is a cool guy.

Mondays is usually just wrestling/no-gi grappling, wednesdays is more standup orientated, and fridays is just a mix up depending on who turns up, and saturday mornings is a free rolling/sparring class.

Like I said I'm not very experienced, only a total of 12 months grappling/wrestling all up, and I actually train MMA but i'm focusing more on wrestling right now, hence my style field :)

So if you just want some guys to wrestle with I'm down for that, but I doubt I'd really be able to show you anything, as the only thing I might be qualified to teach is how to put a rashguard on, or maybe how to let someone armbar you :)
    The main idea is to come along and have fun.
    Please, by all means, come along and join in.
    I don't know Ryan but I'll check with the other guys.
    After taking 12 months off training I was looking for something to get me back in the swing of things. I'd be happy to join a gym if someone offered something suitable. Your place looks like the most suitable and I might join up next year, just have a number of other commitments at the moment. What do they charge a month?
    At 12 months, you would have the most grappling experience amongst all of us so maybe you could teach us a thing or two. Anyway as I said the idea is to get a bunch of guys down to grapple and have fun and maybe learn something.

Hope to see you on 13th December. Let me know if you are planning on coming so I can fill you in on more details if you need.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 9:20am

Style: sadness and tears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by NSLightsOut

How many Black belts have you got out there now?

Personally, I think you'd gain far more by getting some proper training, (even with one day a week of no gi) and using your no-gi group as a supplement.
    Perth is starting to spring a little nugget of BJJ goodness with some good comp results locally and from a bunch of clubs competing over east.

There's 5 black belts in Perth at the moment, with one being a home grown and the others 'imports' :dd:

A few browns lurking about and a few purples.

Not bad for Perth "Where the hell is that again"

With regards to the no-gi stuff, different clubs have different scheduals, check them all out, you pay what you pay, I'm at a small club headed by a purple belt, we will be doing no gi over the summer next 3 or 4 months, also if you join a club, you could always do no gi during an open mat, no where is it written that just because a club only has 1 no gi a week can you not take advantage of open mat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 7:05pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Blue Negation
    Marcelo Garcia trains no-gi only once per week.
    I have no idea who he is.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 8:03pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    I have no idea who he is.

Hmmm. Not a good answer!

You fucking sneaky perth bastards! where you all be hiding all this time? :)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/30/2007 8:20pm

Style: Judo, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by snowman
    With regards to the no-gi stuff, different clubs have different scheduals, check them all out, you pay what you pay, I'm at a small club headed by a purple belt, we will be doing no gi over the summer next 3 or 4 months, also if you join a club, you could always do no gi during an open mat, no where is it written that just because a club only has 1 no gi a week can you not take advantage of open mat.
    If you have found a good gym, that allows you to practice what you like during an open mat session, then definately stick to it.

I have been to 4 gyms, 2 didn't want to know about anything else other than what they teach, 1 did allow a kind of free for all at the end of each lesson but the head instructor didn't really approve. And the bjj gym I went to, open mat meant 15 people lying around the mat having open discussion getting in the way of anyone wanting to actually spar.

Most people at sessions like this are already members of another gym, and in all fairness if you enroll at a BJJ gym, you shouldn't expect MMA or even No Gi (unless stated when you join). So instead of trying to change an established gym, you pay a small amount of money and you can train however you like at sessions like this, without the hassle.

BTW if you are a member of what you consider a good open mat gym in Perth, drop the name.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/01/2007 2:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcelo...28wrestling%29

OK so I searched and found out a bit about this Marcelo guy. Does this made me a better grappler than I was yesterday? I think not.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    12/01/2007 10:43pm

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Marcelo Garcia is widely considered to be the best pound-for-pound grappler in the world and is never found below #3 in overall.

He's a BJJ guy who trains no-gi once per week.

Roger Gracie, considered #1 overall by most, trains no-gi about the same amount of time IIRC.

Doing the gi training WILL significantly help you in the gi-less mode with a large crossover, though the exact amount is debated. Many insist that training with it will give you benefits for your no-gi that pure no-gi wouldn't, just as some freestyle wrestlers sometimes train Greco for certain benefits etc etc.

Posted On:
    12/02/2007 1:17am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayhem
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcelo...28wrestling%29

OK so I searched and found out a bit about this Marcelo guy. Does this made me a better grappler than I was yesterday? I think not.
    Yes, yes it does.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/12/2007 7:31am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So there is only one other grappler from Perth on these forums?
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast