C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    11/27/2007 2:06pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by seriousmantid
    Good luck on the bio chem test wish you the best of luck also like the pic.
    Is the mantis in your style field "preying" instead of "praying" by mistake or on purpose?

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/27/2007 3:12pm

supporting member
     Style: 8 step preying mantis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonuzaba
    Is the mantis in your style field "preying" instead of "praying" by mistake or on purpose?
    It is spelled that way on purpose I like it better. It is spelled like that on the main web sight for the 8-step Preying Mantis system. I don't know which spelling is correct I just like "Preying" More than "Praying" but have seen both spellings used.

C.E. B.S.net Ambassador

Posted On:
    11/27/2007 5:35pm

supporting member
     Style: (Beautiful) Spring Roll

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It is spelled that way on purpose I like it better. It is spelled like that on the main web sight for the 8-step Preying Mantis system. I don't know which spelling is correct I just like "Preying" More than "Praying" but have seen both spellings used.
    Care to post a link to the webSITE? Thanx.

You know, it is not about what you like better, that's your thing of choice, but this is about the name of the insect species.
    And it's praying mantis.

Praying mantids get their name from the appearance of their front legs, which they hold in a "prayerlike" manner. "Mantid" derives from a Greek word meaning "prophet" or "seer."
    They indeed are preying, and quite succesfully, but your school shouldn't use the "e" word either, if it's teaching tong long...

CLICK & WATCH
    :
    I got BULLSHIDO ON TV!!!

"Bruce Lee sucks because I slammed my nuts with nunchucks trying to do that stupid **** back in the day. I still managed to have two kids. I forgive you Bruce.
    " - by Vorpal

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/27/2007 6:37pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

You know, it is not about what you like better, that's your thing of choice, but this is about the name of the insect species.
    And it's praying mantis.

They indeed are preying, and quite succesfully, but your school shouldn't use the "e" word either, if it's teaching tong long...
    I believe the web site is www.8step.com could be wrong.

and I am learning Ba Bu Tang Lang Quan not tong long. I probavly am wrong but the "e" is used on the web sight when talking about the system not the insect.
    Last edited by seriousmantid; 11/28/2007 1:30pm at .

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/27/2007 6:51pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I probavly am wrong but the "e" is used on the web sight when talking about the system not the insect
    But the traditional name of the system takes on the name of the insect species. Everytime I've seen people referring to "preying mantis", be it the MA or the insect, it's because they are doing an spelling/translation error (someone correct me if I'm wrong.)

From wiki (science stubs are quite reliable references as opposed to all other wiki stubs):

A praying mantis, or praying mantid, is the common name for an insect of the order Mantodea. Often mistakenly spelled preying mantis (an eggcorn, since they are notoriously predatory), they are in fact named for the typical "prayer-like" stance.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/27/2007 8:36pm

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You guys need to learn when to start new threads.

Welterweight

Posted On:
    11/27/2007 9:18pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

And it's praying mantis.

1:www. 8stepschools.com spells it "preying mantis" when refering to the system

2: I am learning Ba Bu Tang Lang Quan, not" tong long."

3: "preying mantis "(which refers to the system) not the "praying mantis"(which refers to the insect)
    Last edited by seriousmantid; 11/28/2007 1:31pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/28/2007 11:37am

staff
     Style: Chinese Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    1:www. 8stepschools.com spells it "preying mantis" when refering to the system

2: I am learning Ba Bu Tang Lang Chuan, not" tong long."

3: "preying mantis "(which refers to the system) not the "praying mantis"(which refers to the insect)
    I think the creators of the system didn't really think that one out or you're not representing them correctly.

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    11/28/2007 12:00pm

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    _ing _un

ke_po

pr_ying mantis
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    11/28/2007 12:03pm

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jkdbuck76
    _ing _un

ke_po

pr_ying mantis

_ai_i_uan

_ang S_ Do