Page 1 of 2 12 Last
    --
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Mountain Martial Arts - NJ Jundokan

Hello all,

I am a complete noob both to the forums and the martial arts. I am about *this* close to joining a Goju-Ryu dojo in Monroe, New Jersey called "Mountain Martial Arts", aka the New Jersey Jundokan. Sensei is Mark Kapel. I understand from his website

http://www.newjerseyjundokan.com/index.html

that he is a BB 5th dan and regularly travels to Okinawa to study at the Jundokan there. I read somewhere that he is or has been involved with training or teaching with Sensei Chuck Merriman. Does anyone have any pertinent information regarding this dojo and its legitimacy? I read some very impressive-sounding stuff on the site, and I seem to be able to piece together some sort of official connection with the "home base" in Okinawa, but before I commit and spend some serious coin, I want the best advice I can get.

Love the site and the dedication to MA as well as the great humor. Keep it up.

Arigato gozaimasu,

FatFists ("FF")

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this belongs in newbietown i think.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see anything on the website which seems overtly fraudulent. I'd say it certainly looks, from the outside at least, like it's on the up-and-up. It seems rather tame and professional, in my humblest of opinions.

Incidentally, this dojo is only about a half an hour from me. FatFists, whereabouts in Jersey are you?

--Joe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    There are no mountains in NJ, definately Bullshido. Of course Rather Large Hill Martial Arts has much less of a ring to it so I suppose some artistic license is in order.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal
    There are no mountains in NJ, definately Bullshido. Of course Rather Large Hill Martial Arts has much less of a ring to it so I suppose some artistic license is in order.
    *coughAppalachianscough*

Heheheh... That's one of the things I love about Jersey-- Mountains, Beaches, Forests, Farmlands, Suburbs, and Cities all in one little state.

--Joe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Joe don't ruin my pathetic jokes with trivial things like facts.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorpal
    Joe don't ruin my pathetic jokes with trivial things like facts.
    Hehehe, sorry. I'll try not to let it happen again!

--Joe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Incidentally, this dojo is only about a half an hour from me. FatFists, whereabouts in Jersey are you?

--Joe"

Joe, I'm in Middlesex County about 10 minutes from the Brunswick Square Mall.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by FatFists
    Joe, I'm in Middlesex County about 10 minutes from the Brunswick Square Mall.
    That's not more than a hop, skip, and jump from me. I'm in Monmouth County, just off of Route 18 (Exit 15A).

Good luck with your training, and be sure to let us know how things go!

--Joe

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Joe and everyone else in the Middlesex/Monmouth area, I am going to watch an adult class tonight at 7:45. This will be my 3rd visit to the dojo and my second observation of a class. Anyone feeling up to watching and assisting a newbie in what I should look for, feel free to drop by.

http://www.newjerseyjundokan.com/index.html

Should be directions there. Thanks again for your help so far. I'll post more with any observations I have when I return.

Page 1 of 2 12 Last