Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 12:43am

forum leader
     Style: BJJ/ MMA/ MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Infected fingernail bed?

Not sure how pathetic this is, but it certainly is fucking with my day to day activities. On Friday I went back to judo and sustained what can only be described as a non-injurious injury. By that I mean my thumbnail's bed on my left hand indicated it had been damaged by showing a little blood around the outline of the nail. As I said, a non-injurious injury and thus I did nothing about it. The next day it had begun to swell and sting, I told my instructor/friend and he had the advice any man would give another man complaining about a "stinging thumbnail", which was, "are you fucking kidding, *****, suck it up". I tended to agree.

Two days later I can't move my arm without it irritating this now bulbous growth on my thumbnail bed (and in some cases sending this seemingly disproportionate amount of pain throughout my body when knocked even slightly by cotton) and being left handed meant simple activities, tying shoelaces, buttoning shirts, fucking putting a jacket on (?!?), typing (oh god, no, I hit space bar again!) were either carefully labourious tasks, or fast and painful ones.

I went to the docs and he has given me antibiotics, told me to soak my thumb in salt water for an hour daily and to use betadine regularly. I cannot believe how excessive the symptoms and their treatment seem for what was essentially and from all accounts less than a scratch.

Anyone else had an infected fingernail bed? Anyone else think it was disproportionately debilitating? Did your treatment include what I described above? I'm just thinking, ****, that's a shitload to do for a little piece of infected skin.

What were some of your injuries that were tiny but resulted in more hassle than they seemed they ought?

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 1:02am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MRSA is no joke.

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 1:14am

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Elaborate? MRSA?

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 1:14am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Actually, I've been out of BJJ and MT for almost two months from pretty much exactly the same thing. Swept a guy and posted my right hand to stop the motion and somehow manage to pop the fingernail of my middle finger off the bed just a little bit. I then continued to practice for about 4 weeks with no apparent ill effects, just a little blood under the fingernail. No big deal, it'll grow out, I figure. Then it went numb. I figured I'd slept on my shoulder weird and pinched a nerve. Then it turned purple and was cold to the touch. Then I went to see the doc.
    So far I've been through two courses of 1000mg augmenten (Amoxicillin/Clavalunate Potassium 875/125) and am now on Doxycycline 100mg twice a day. I've got some small bits of necrosis in my finger the doc says will be pushed out over time. Most of that is gone now, thankfully, but it's still intensely painful. I've just gotten back to the point where I can do regular pullups without tears coming to my eyes but the towel pull ups are still a massive no-go.

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 1:16am

Style: BJJ/MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    Elaborate? MRSA?
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Methici...ococcus_aureus

Drug resistant staph. That wonderful microbe responsible for everything from pimples to pneumonia. It's everywhere and it loves you.

Oh, and it can do this, too.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Necrotizing_fasciitis

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 1:25am

forum leader

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh. Is there any way to undo that whole part where I just learnt that stuff?

Posted On:
    5/11/2011 6:43am

Join us... or die
     Style: Hung Gar, Choy Lay Fut

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Lol, what can start out as a little blemish can turn into a very serious condition.
    Take care of that finger.
    (Where has that thing been anyhow? Hmmmm?)

I use that Defense soap after every training and sometimes "spot treat" places with a 20% tea tree oil solution.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    5/12/2011 5:16am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: CMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by battlefields View Post
    What were some of your injuries that were tiny but resulted in more hassle than they seemed they ought?
    Not really a training injury but when I was 10 I cut my thigh on a tree, a couple of stitches but nothing too serious. 3 days later it didn't look too good so got hauled off to the doctor.

2 hours later I was in surgery having 6inx3inx3in wedge of my leg removed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gas_gangrene.

Doc said 2 more days and they would have amputated at the hip.

So keep a close eye on that finger ...:itsnotokay:

Posted On:
    5/13/2011 1:13pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Stupid

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From actually where did you learn that stuff is the question ?

insight combined with intel, fuse, and dynamite

Posted On:
    5/13/2011 2:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChenPengFi View Post
    Lol, what can start out as a little blemish can turn into a very serious condition.
    Take care of that finger.
    (Where has that thing been anyhow? Hmmmm?)

I use that Defense soap after every training and sometimes "spot treat" places with a 20% tea tree oil solution.
    Seconded on the Defense Soap nomination (Fight Soap never sent me my free samples...).

If you consider the fact that the area underneath the nail tip is one of the dirtiest, most germ/fungus prone areas on the body, a brief separation of the nail from the nail bed (which also breaks the protective layer of skin between them) is probably a very easy way to get an infected finger. All that junk is right there waiting to move into that nice soft tissue underneath (especially toenails).

I am pretty sure I got this once or twice and my solution was to band-aid the nail tightly. It hurts like hell for days but I never got an infection, probably just had clean nails around the time it happens and wasn't exposed to anything.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast