Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/25/2007 7:56pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Combatives

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pertempuran Silat?

I ran across this site awhile back during my search for a "style/art" to train in. So does anybody know if this guy Sean Starks is for real? He is the "founder" of "Pertempuran Silat" or as his web address is named "combat silat". He sells instructional materials including books and DVD's. The above link is his "all about me" section of his site. In his video clips on the site he seems a bit chunky. I also don't go for all of the "I had an epiphany and created my own system" stuff. Does this guy smell of Bullshido to anyone else besides me?

-DTM

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/28/2007 8:00am

Style: DBMA, FMA, BJJ noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This is from the site ( http://www.silat.us/history.asp ):

I remember walking home from a class or something and having the beginnings of an epihpany that would last around 2 weeks in length. Within that two week time, the majority of PSP was laid out and born.

I attribute it to God.
    Sounds little kooky to me, but then again I don't subscribe to this kind of devinely inspired bullshit.

Posted On:
    1/15/2008 4:58pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Pencak Silat PSHT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well what can i say. When is something a real 'style' and when is something just a combination of different types of Martial Art. I can't realy say, and i believe it's also not possible to tell acording to a website.
    I've trained a while in indonesia and talked with some people with knowledge. There is a bit difference in traditional style and other styles. Some traditional styles in Sumatra are trained within a small group. This is because only the oldest son will learn the style, and he wil get a real hard training, not for the regular guy...

Kind regards, Luuk

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    2/16/2008 3:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by DTM
    I ran across this site awhile back during my search for a "style/art" to train in. So does anybody know if this guy Sean Starks is for real? He is the "founder" of "Pertempuran Silat" or as his web address is named "combat silat". He sells instructional materials including books and DVD's. The above link is his "all about me" section of his site. In his video clips on the site he seems a bit chunky. I also don't go for all of the "I had an epiphany and created my own system" stuff. Does this guy smell of Bullshido to anyone else besides me?

-DTM
    I've talked to him in other forums and Silat forums. He most definitely sounds like Bullshido to me & others that I know in the community. Plus, he charges ridiculous prices for his crap books. I'd steer clear if I were you.
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney

Posted On:
    7/27/2008 8:57am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Masakityan Kali-Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Pertempuran

Was looking over my friend's shoulder when he found PSP stuff on cafepress. I saw one of his shirts and made a note to myself to buy it; he bought the book....

The book is CRAP. The guy claims to teach "combat silat", but there's a lot of reference to mysticism, indonesian mythology, and such. Poor photography, poor... ahh god, it just sucks... there are far better sources to learn about silat than this schmuck.

Shime Waza Test Dummy

Posted On:
    7/28/2008 1:24am

Join us... or die
     Style: StrikeyGrappling & WW2-fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by stoplossed
    Was looking over my friend's shoulder when he found PSP stuff on cafepress. I saw one of his shirts and made a note to myself to buy it; he bought the book....

The book is CRAP. The guy claims to teach "combat silat", but there's a lot of reference to mysticism, indonesian mythology, and such. Poor photography, poor... ahh god, it just sucks... there are far better sources to learn about silat than this schmuck.
    I've had interactions with Stark on other forums, & fyi, very little in my small corner of the universe is what I consider mystical, besides the accuracy of my gut. My gut told me to steer clear and wide of this joker after just a few minutes interaction with him. I'm always gratified when others corroborate the accuracy of my lil' ol' guts.... :hiding:
    "Judo is a study of techniques with which you may kill if you wish to kill, injure if you wish to injure, subdue if you wish to subdue, and, when attacked, defend yourself" - Jigoro Kano (1889)
    ***Was this quote "taken out of context"?***

"The judoist has no time to allow himself a margin for error, especially in a situation upon which his or another person's very life depends...."
    ~ The Secret of Judo (Jiichi Watanabe & Lindy Avakian), p.19

"Hope is not a method... nor is enthusiasm."
    ~ Brigadier General Gordon Toney