Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2007 7:28am

Style: BJJ, MMA,

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have had this **** before. I been doing mma for years and I know no item of clothing that would indicate I am even interested in martial arts. All that team shirts and **** is cool in the gym but gay on the street

You have loads of these people in Brazil where all the noobs there go about thinking they can beat on people in their rich parties.
    If you can imagine a country where people like this are in the tens of millions you can see how bad a rep bjj has in Brazil- the art rich spoilt trust fund kids use to get 'tough' and beat on defenceless people.
    They call em 'pit boys' in Brazil.

Posted On:
    11/25/2007 8:35am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So i'm a nutrider because I sometimes wear a Gracie Barra t-shirt? That seems harsh.

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    11/25/2007 8:41am

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by madhorsebjj
    you can see how bad a rep bjj has in Brazil-
    Is this true? plz expand.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2007 8:42am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well it probably is harsh. I just think it is stupid wearing martial arts stuff on the street as it attracts negative attention. I was once in a very dodgy bar and the buy there had a Muay Thai t-shirt on. I think he thought it would make people scared of him but it meant drunk people were more likely to be saying 'so you do that karate ey! I bet I could have you!'

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2007 8:52am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningDog
    Is this true? plz expand.
    No problem mate.
    I get this opinion from speaking to a lot of brazilians both who do BJJ and who do not. Well basically in Brazil there have been a lot of well publicised cases where rich kids go into clubs or roam the streets in packs and them jump people and bash them up using bjj. The media nicknames them 'pit boys'. I thought this was bullshit, but my instructor said this is true as most people that do BJJ in Brazil are middle or upper class. It is kind of like a upper class rebellion on their part, and a lot of vale tudo fighters actually come from upper class homes and have their lifestyles funded by trust funds. Mario Sperry is from a priviliged background for example. And in the UFC Jorge Gurgel.
    And the thing that pisses people off is because their families are all very well off, if they beat up some poor guy, because their parents are all top judges and lawyers, business men, politicans etc they get off.
    Also you have Ryan Gracie, who as well as stabbing someone was involved in a hate crime on a gay man.
    So you can see in Brazil BJJ has developed a very negative rep. Brazilians I meet always seem to reflect this as it has a big reputation of being what all the steriod monkeys, bullies and generall arseholes do.

There's a bit of info here on a discussion about the beef between Wallid Ismail and Ryan Gracie about stuff jiu jitsu is associated with in Brazil

http://www.whaledog.com/2003/12/wall...racie-feud.php

nail conditioning

Posted On:
    11/25/2007 9:04am

Style: Rehab

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Interesting stuff MadHorse. I may think twice next time I meet a random Brazilian and retardedly say "omg great! I do BRAZILLION jew-zzzheeetshoo!!!" which I have done on a number of occasions, and now feel like a twat.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2007 9:56am

Style: Boxing.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't wear Boxing/MMA shirts for the same reason I don't wear band shirts, I find them distastefull...plus I don't really do MMA despite the 3/4 schools now within 4050 minutes of my home.

Actually I haven't trained for ages, this forum always guilt trips me into going to the gym.

Next time that happens, get someone to play the Street Fighter 2 music, scream Throwdown and attack him.

Posted On:
    11/25/2007 10:22am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah I've had the "BJJ as thug martial art" thing repeated to me by quite a few training partners who have been to brazil to train, which really surprised me as while it does have the relationship with MMA pretty much all the BJJ clubs i know of are filled with laid back friendly people.

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/25/2007 10:44am

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandinha aka Anthony
    ****, was I this bad when I started?
    Well, you haven't mentioned that you met Helio, nor posted the picture of you and him, in at least a week. So that probably counts as progress.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2007 10:56am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningDog
    Interesting stuff MadHorse. I may think twice next time I meet a random Brazilian and retardedly say "omg great! I do BRAZILLION jew-zzzheeetshoo!!!" which I have done on a number of occasions, and now feel like a twat.
    haha I thought brazilians would think it was cool as well, but most of the non-bjj people look horrified when I say that. I had to explain to some brazilian guy that I don't go around beating people up or starting fights in nightclubs which came as a shock to him. He said 'I know you are not asshole, but most in Brazil are'
    I tried to tell him about how they misunderstood the point of jiu jitsu and I ended up sounding like those Muslims trying to explain to americans how islam is a religion of peace. I.e. the other person is highly sceptical and thinking 'yeah right'
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast