Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 12:54pm

Style: JJ/Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

RLSD - what can we trust here?

Is it just me.....Or the abundance of REAL LIFE SELF DEFENSE(tm) sytems that seem to be popping up on adverts all over the place on any MA forum anywhere give anyone else a real sense that maybe there's been a shift in BS MA - that is a shift for the RLSD systems to expand on the shear paranoia spread by the media (especially the tabloid press in England).

Nice to see see these folks getting a solidly built ready made gravy train to ride about in.
    I'm sure that there are some RLSD systems that are taught well and are effective.

These days though, because we live in a post 911 world - it seems like every one in three sites of that type want to cash in on this plague of fear that is happily perpetuated by the popular media...
    I'm not going to comment on some of what I've found, but here's a few snippets of vids and things I've just come across in a little five minute search:

http://www.closecombattraining.com/c...ng/combat1.php

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nezvfH80gIA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jx7fM7PZkxA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeAd5lWhxx8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nUlccnCi2OY

Now, I want to make this clear right now - I am not saying that all the above are bullshido merchants.
    What does grate on me thought, is the fact that they seem to use alot of compliancy on the demos (with sadly few exceptions)...

And this apparent cashing in on the fear factor.
    I'd like to take up some genuinely useful SD system, but with more BS than a manure factory going about....
    Well, ATM I'm more likey to just not bother and carry a 'nasty violence peice' about just in case.... which to be honest isn't something that I should feel the need for...

media bastards!

:wrestlerf:waoya:glasses6::waraya:dark1::qright5:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 5:58pm

Style: Sub Wrestling/boxing/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My initial reactions:

1st video: mostly bullshido, the guy in the white shirt and tan pants w/ running shoes seems to be the best and most realistically trained out of all of them.

2nd video: this video actually had some resistance to it. those two students who were doing the exercises and sparring seemed to actually be trying, so points for that. some of the material seemed useful and practical. I don't think I could ever bring myself to train something named DEFENDO though. I mean come on. but that may just be my own ignorance.

3rd video: I give this guy points just because he talks about the ambush... which few martial arts instructors or even some RBSD or RLSD as you like to call it address. He seems to understand the flinch response and how to work with attack shock.. but he isn't wearing combat or cammo pants, and that worries me.

4th video: wow, this reminds me of the capoeria ground fighting system... I wouldn't invest time training with this guy no matter how much he name drops Applegate or Fairbane's names.

the push for RBSD is larger now then it ever was. as a result there is more bullshido to watch for. so what is a guy to do? look for a teacher who has credentials and experience. Is this person ex-military? Did they see combat? Do they have any background working as a bouncer, police, corrections officer, bodyguard, etc etc? Do they have a fight record? These are all things that should be looked at in addition to the standard stuff.. ie; training with intensity, realism, resistance, etc etc.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 6:26pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    heh the only self defence course i've been to is a woman's self defence day course.

it involved confidence training, an awareness workshop and some basic moves like, 'get out of a double wrist hold, kick their balls, run away'.
    if you can't get away scream "no!" while you break their nose with a palm thrust.

it was quite funny.

those guys all seem a bit weird.
    this whole thing reminds me of the whole british 'buy your children stab-proof jackets' craze
    and the american 'how to spot and detain a terrorist' training things.

paranoia sells.

as for RLSD i can't say as a lot of it is fleshed out to get more of a 'woohoo i'm hardcore' reaction from people.
    i mean in 'real life' you're unlikely to get mugged by a martial artist so it'd either be a straight punch or a bear hug grab or something simple and there are simple ways to get out of it. RLSD would be most realistic having a small repertoire of simple moves practised to hell on fully resisting people.
    weapons SD i have no idea about.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 6:31pm

Style: Boxing.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well Boxing is pretty common in England and I'd assume America aswell, along side Wreastling? I'd always that the probably of being attacked by a trained person is much higher then people think.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 6:39pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    heh of all of the street fights i've ever seen they've been most like the fight scene from brigitte jones' diary. you know the one? :)

true its not that unlikely but if you were trained in MA and you wanted to mug someone you'd have a massive advantage in being able to plan and make the most of a suprise attack. i'd personally make the sure the sucker didn't have a chance.
    anyone with good MA experience that wanted to take someone on in the street would make damn sure they'd win by one means or another.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 6:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I vividly recall the one, yes :P and take your point. I don't really have the aggression in me to plan an attack purely for self gain though and I'm an idiot for not spending enough time on thinking how to counter those that would.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 6:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, boxing and wrestling are popular over here... especially since wrestling is picked up in highschool. There are also tons of people who do the whole "I know karate, you don't wanna mess with me" thing. Although now a days with the UFC and MMA craze... it's shifted over to "I am a cage fighter, don't mess with me". By cage fighter they usually mean "watch UFC".

I believe that most of the time when you are given a problem.. it's by someone with either: very little real training, no training at all, or a lot of experience from being a bad fucker. With the first two, it seems when your not already confident in being a good fighter, you need to reasure yourself by starting **** with people to prove yourself. If you have a lot of real training and know you can dish it out, you usually don't need to BE the problem. This doesn't mean you won't square off and shut someone up, but you won't be that guy going "hey! you bumped into me! gimme your watch!". And the last one, the lots of experience from being a bad muthafucka. That's pretty self explanatory... but the guys who grew up in violence and can fight.. but weren't raised properly so they are pissed at the world. They're the most dangerous.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 6:50pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The ones that feel the world owes them and that they're free to take their price, I know what you mean.

I guess training becomes a problem when there are people who train specifically to **** people up.

I like the idea of Wrestling in school. We did some Judo though that was it. I like how in many senses America has quite a martial culture.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 6:57pm

Style: JJ/Freestyle

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Just come across this - as I'm actively researching some of these concerns today...
    This is one of the most sobering videos about knife attacks I have come across.

Not sure if it will embed, but here goes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRygILt5NlY

WARNING: some of this video shows real wounds from knife attacks, which are not pretty.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 7:47pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yup.. seen that video before, it's absolutely true.

a lot of knife defense training relies heavily on wrist control. but this can be a very dangerous place to grab someone armed with a knife. a quick exercise you can do so you can see for yourself is to take a butter knife in one hand and take wrist control with the other hand. now exercising whatever freedom of movement you have left with your knife hand, try to cut the arm/wrist of the controlling hand. it is very easy to do. if you are lucky enough to be in a position to control any part of the knife wielders body, you want shoulder and elbow control, as this reduces the range of motion best. have a friend hold a butter knife and pin the elbow of that arm to his chest while standing to the side of that pinned arm. just like you would if you were boxing and you ducked a hook and stepped to their side. now notice their range of motion. this is of course if you are lucky enough and are in a situation where you can take control of someone with a knife.

the idea that someone is going to dash in at you with a single stab or slash is a fantasy. it is much more likely they will come in slashing and stabbing frantically and relentlessly. since power and proper technique are not required to injure someone with a knife, a knife attacker can opperate off of "primitive motor function". martial arts techniques, even simple ones like punching and kicking, function off of "gross motor function", or "complex motor skill". primitive > complex. this is the reason why most knife defense does not work.
Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast