Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 8:06am

Style: taido

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    if a MA has it in their ideology to change with the evidence as to what is effective then they could add techniques as it became apparent that they work, whilst still upholding a general mentality as how to fight. the problem comes when you consider that each fighter will have their own style. so, when you have grappling and striking in an art, some practitioners will favor grappling. if this art were karate, then a practitioner specializing in a ground game would not be seen as the prototypical karateka from an outsider. in fact, the whole art by now would look essentially like mma. case in point: Daido Juku, now known as Kudo.
    link:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HHK1TwCgG-g

:)

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 8:47am

supporting member
     Style: Ex-Tiger KF, ex-SanDa

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gustard
    If I was to take up mma - and I may do - I would rather train Judo at a Judo club, BJJ at a BJJ club and Muay Thai at a Muay Thai club etc etc and then frequent an mma club to practise the combinations.
    That should depend on the club. WaiKru in Allston (boston) where we're doing the throwdown today, is an mma club. All of the different instructors are heavy, muay thai, BJJ, mma, etc....no quality lost...just assembled. They also have a cage...unlike most judo/MT etc schools...think crocop...if you fight in a cage, train in a cage.

and who can afford three, four schools? not me. I can't afford one these days.

The quality of instruction, and equipment/space count for a lot in any school. Plus, at some point you'd have to put it all together, and that would be at an mma school.

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 9:16am

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by hpr
    Lyoto Machida is a Shotokan Karate representative with 11-0 record so far.
    Wikipedia also has him as a sumo wrestler (at 115kg). Clearly Shotokan + Sumo > MT + BJJ.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 9:37am

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't forget Bas Reutten also has a Kyukushin background

Also so do a lot of Japanese fighters. So saying you don't see it represented in MMA is false

Re MMA schools - If the school has qualified instructors in different MA's then it's stupid to train at lots of different places.

The problem with Karate and MMA is that Karate mostly is gi orientated with no clinch game to really speak of.

Therefore Muay Thai fits into the total MMA goal, (strike, clinch, takedown submit) better than does most karate (or Tae kwon do)

But you will still see guys with karate and tae kwon do backgrounds who also cross train in Muay thai, Like GSP and the crow still throw out the TKD or Karate technique.

If I wasn't so lazy I would look up the YouTube vid of the guy knocking out someone in a cage with karate hook kick.

Regarding str

AK: Giving new meaning to the word "Unfair."

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 11:11am

Style: Out-Of-Shape MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think that the visibility of "karate" may be lower these days, seeing as nobody really bothers to throw on the ol' gi in the cage these days. As has been stated by previous posters, though, this means little in actuality... karateka still get in the octagon, they're just not doing karate.:karated:

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 12:34pm

Style: BJJ, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    George St Pierre!

Well Karate is in UFC in the form of punches and kicks, but you don't see the "Now you do this, while I do that" Karate. Nor do you see the 6 point blocking system. But its there..

I'm not witty enough for this custom title.

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 7:27pm

Style: In Hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgar42Ox
    George St Pierre!

Well Karate is in UFC in the form of punches and kicks, but you don't see the "Now you do this, while I do that" Karate. Nor do you see the 6 point blocking system. But its there..
    Huh?

BTW, I find it kind of misguiding to call GSP a karateka... isn't his game primarily ground game anyways?

Oh, and only because someone had practiced karate before doesn't automatically make them a 'karateka' unless they call themselves a karate practitioner (like GSP always showing of his Kyokushin black belt or Chuck Liddell openly practicing kempo).

Anyways, the reason you don't see many karatekas in MMA is because most styles of karate (with the exception of Kyokushin and some other styles) don't practice effective techniques in an alive manner at all. Most karatekas learn katas and then their nonpractical 'applications' (bunkai), which is the reason most karatekas get their asses beat when they enter MMA competition, which is why we don't see many karatekas in MMA.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 8:39pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Anyone who enters MMA without a well rounded game is going to get their asses beat.

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 11:52pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you guys know it's almost 2008?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

Knock-off Cthulhu

Posted On:
    11/25/2007 12:19am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hm. We forgot Andy Hug. :/
    Curiosity killed the cat. But damn it had a blast.
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast