Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 2:15pm

Style: Bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Of course I am thirty six does that mean I am excluded?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 2:51pm

Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok granted this is from Wiki ("Soft Drinks") so I wouldn't put too much stock in it. The real culprit may not be the soft drink per se but rather the lack of calcium in the diet. For many North Americans our largest source of calcium, certainly as childen is milk. The real problem is probably children/teenagers drinking sodas with their meals and not milk.

There has been a hypothesis that the phosphoric acid contained in some soft drinks (colas) displaces calcium from the bones, lowering bone density of the skeleton and leading to conditions such as osteoporosis and very weak bones. However, calcium metabolism studies by leading calcium and bone expert Dr. Robert Heaney determined that the net effect of carbonated soft drinks, (including colas, which use phosphoric acid as the acidulant) on calcium retention was negligible. He concluded that it is likely that colas prominence in observational studies is due to their prominence in the marketplace, and that the real issue is that people who drink a lot of soft drinks also tend to have an overall diet that is low in calcium. (Source: Heaney RP, Rafferty K. Carbonated beverages and urinary calcium excretion. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition 2001,74:;343-347.)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 5:59pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewa
    Apprently some kids/teens in North America have the bone density of elderly people due to excessive soda drinking. They're not drinking milk which would normally be their main source of calcium and the ?? (something in many soda drinks) leeches the calcium from the body.
    well i take calcium pills for calcium and i drink mostly sprite or ginger ale hope it doesnt hurt me too much...

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 9:09pm

Style: Boxing, Solar Ray Attack

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    well, id cut sugar intake. high sugar stuff is empty calories anyway.

learn to cook. this is a life skill. In the old days when we were cavemen, fighting and cooking went hand in hard---think about it :)

someone mentioned chicken breasts. you can also make marinades,soups and sladas with little cooking skill. there are plenty of recipes online or invest in Betty Crocker. as long as you can measure and read they shouldnt b too hard.
    also we have some tutorials on sociocide for basic cooking (with pics) here:
    http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48672
    http://www.sociocide.com/forums/show....php?p=1266647
    http://www.sociocide.com/forums/show....php?p=1267884
    http://www.sociocide.com/forums/showthread.php?t=40349
    olorin has a bunch of threads making bread too. do a search

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2007 12:05am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If your thinking about learning to cook its hard to find better information than

http://youtube.com/user/LikeTheHat

International Man of Pancakes

Posted On:
    11/25/2007 8:15pm

Style: Wu style tcc+bjj

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What does junk food really do?

for one thing, try looking up diabetes.
    Anyone who has the power to make you believe absurdities has the power to make you commit injustices.
    - Voltaire

Weak

Posted On:
    11/25/2007 8:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: No longer training

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm guessing your guardians left you with money?

Eat Subway.

Or go to the supermarket and get a healthy frozen dinner (try those diet brands like Weightwatchers/Lean Cuisine/Jenny Craigs). Get some fresh fruits/veg to snack on.

Easy.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/25/2007 8:42pm

supporting member
     Style: judo hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by meataxe
    What does junk food really do?

for one thing, try looking up diabetes.
    Read the book Fat Land by Greg Critser.

We Americans are the fattest with the exception of a few South Seas Islands.

I see many fat people in China and Taiwan in the past few years with the rise of KFC, McD's, etc.

Junk food and especially all of the corn fructose and processed food crap are playing hell on a generation of future diabetics.

Then again - I attribute my own slim build to a good case of worms AND a fairly healthy diet.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/26/2007 7:49pm

Style: in hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well. basically constant consumption of soda and junk food can lead to several health problems, such as diabetes, high blood pressure, cancer, etc.

I recommend Don't Eat This Book by Morgan Spurlock and his movie Supersize Me if you haven't seen it. Fast Food Nation is good too.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/26/2007 8:43pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Subway is a better alternative if you insist on eating out.
    Pop is shitty for you, I personally don't drink more than a few cans a month.Too much sugar, plus it dehydrates you which you don't want when you are training.
    Chicken and rice, pasta with chicken thrown in ..there are all kinds of easy ways to make yourself a half decent meal on the cheap. Try whole wheat pasta instead of regular pasta, it's much healthier and it is more filling. I don't even eat regular pasta anymore.
    You might as well learn to make a few dishes on your own now, while you are young. Cold macaroni salad with tuna and chopped veggies ( celery, carrots, corn) is good too. It's easy to make and you can prepare lots at once so you have left overs. Spice it up with cumin - it tastes great.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast