11/23/2007 8:09pm

Style: VU TAH

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

TRX, heard of it?

This is not an ad.

Check this out

www.fitnessanywhere.com

Does not look too bad. Sure is expensive.

I'd pay 40-50 bucks for it, not 150.

Anyone here would pay 150? Anyone here has 150?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    11/23/2007 8:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Trainforstrength.com is free and even more portable.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2007 8:39pm

Style: VU TAH

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    So is rosstraining.com and bodyweightculture.com

but I am currious about the normal price for this thing. Am I crazy to think that this is over priced?

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    11/23/2007 8:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Everything in the fitness world is overpriced, so comparatively, no, it's the right price for any sort of fitness gimic.

If your question is "is this a rip off", then yes, it is, but simply because it's a retarded idea surrounded by marketing jive and a bunch of fitness buzz words, but in terms of price, it's what has become average in the fitness world.
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 12:16am

Join us... or die
     Style: sambo/crossfit

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've tried TRX, admittedly because the instructor was a really hot-leggy lass, but it's still good stuff: bodyweight, posture, range of motion and all that. I really ended up liking it for awhile.

Like Emevas points out, anything "fitness" is overpriced. Just take a hint from his avatar and train yourself to deadlift parked vans and you'll have a complete fitness program at any parking garage, your own driveway, etc etc.

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 12:36am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by theotherserge
    I've tried TRX, admittedly because the instructor was a really hot-leggy lass, but it's still good stuff: bodyweight, posture, range of motion and all that. I really ended up liking it for awhile.

Like Emevas points out, anything "fitness" is overpriced. Just take a hint from his avatar and train yourself to deadlift parked vans and you'll have a complete fitness program at any parking garage, your own driveway, etc etc.
    It's also a great way to fix bad parking jobs and squeeze your SUV into a compact spot on Black Friday!
    "Emevas,

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 1:19pm

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Also noteworthy, if you're stuck in traffic, you can hop out and do a couple'quick lifts and get back in once its moving again. Drive a Scion to work and you can work on fast reps and isometrics. drive yer SUV and you can do one slow rep at max effort. Either way your a winner an you don't have to bring extra fitness gear to work!

Posted On:
    4/15/2008 1:36am

Join us... or die

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought I'd resurrect this thread, rather than start a new one...

I picked up a TRX system a couple of weeks ago. As I mentioned earlier ^^I have worked with it in classes, thanks to me being a tired ol'perv-but that's another matter.

I'm not a rep for TRX, or Bowflex or some such crap, nor do I play one on televison. To prove it I'll post this:

[IMG]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-LwRGCxgbJA

anyhow, you really don't need to be dosed on methadone/special K to use this rig.

It's a nicely made system and like most fitnessery, is pricey for what it is. I paid $149+tax. However, it is comparable to the cost of safety harnesses for construction/rigging etc. and the build quality of the product is totally pro. You wouldn't want something that would pop apart at the seams while you were hanging ass over tea kettle.

The principle is simple, the same tensegrity (horrid term!) that comes out of using gym rings is what applies here. If you wish to increase your leverage, just move away from the anchor point and you increase the leverage. The majior difference from gym rings is that you can easily adjust the length for differing routines and there are straps that can capture your feet so you can do crunches, hip abbductions, pommel/pike-type movements and so forth.

For a Sambidiot like me, this works very well because there's so much emphasis on balance and posture for it to work well. For instance:

[IMG]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXkw2f4vObc

and this:

[IMG]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BVPax4N9Vtk

(Teh el M gets $3 if he can guess why I picked these vids)

These exercises can be tweaked some and resemble the mechanics breakdown for an Uchi-mata type throw. I can't think of a safe/responsible way to do this with Olympic weights. I've done similar work with cable flys and elastic bands, but I've found that doing work vs. bodyweight, at full tension and slowly can imprint the movements very effectively. There's a proper term for this kind of muscle training but I can't recall it presently. Not a single exercise is totally isolated, which is great, yeah "core-core-core"...yawn/but true.

See, even an exercise that I wouldn't really do cause it seems too isolated, isn't really isolated:

[IMG]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31LBAgwXGe0

Oh, don't bother to buy the DVD, I'll be goddamned! There's one workout and it's scattered. I spent too much time adjusting the straps when they could have streamlined the workout and arranged it better-easily. There's a glossary and it shows all of 12 exercises, which is a pretty lame glossary. Hell, they just filmed the f*ker out on the pitch and charged $39.95 for it? I have to say that Kathleen Finnerty (the TRX instructor in SF) has terrific routines worked out where the progressions makes much more sense (maybe because she works with conditioning fighters and not "core body acolytes"). I might have to look her up again if I can't sort out a good routine on my own.

I've really liked this kit since I can run through arm and leg exercises, lunges, my own improvisations for judo/sambo footwork and what-have-you and then just roll the kit up and stuff it in the closet. I think that an Olympic lifting setup and a good variety of KB would pwnn as far as strength conditioning goes, but that also takes up alot of space and $$. You have to take the wife into account and if you're like me-you can't even have your big ol'KEF speakers in the living room anymore. Same with the lp collection, she just doesn't get how important it is to spin some vinyl now and again!

Oh well, there's always booze!:drunken_s
    Many things we do naturally become difficult only when we try to make them intellectual subjects. It is possible to know so much about a subject that you become totally ignorant.
    -Mentat Text Two (dicto)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    12/08/2010 4:43pm

Style: Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    bwculture is selling similar Protege for 40 bucks. TRX is like 190 now. With all that marketing, it needs to cost that much. They have professional athletes on payroll doing commercials for them. You can also get rings for abour 50 bucks. a bunch of straps and hook for "suspension training" are over priced to cost 190- difinitely. If you have the money and like the idea go for it.
    Bisides the price the only other thing I don't like about TRX is the number of exercises. They have come up with billion of suspension training exercises, just to show that there are many of them. Most of them are even foolish to look at.