Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2003 11:53am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Muay Thai defense versus bob and weave

After watching David Loiseau fight in the UFC he didn't seem to eat a whole lot of punishment when he wasn't tired. Is his Muay Thai style better for punch defense? I am a bigger guy and I am not that agile would this be better for me? It seems that a lot of bobbing and weaving would open you up for knees and whatnot. What do you guys think?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    10/27/2003 1:07pm

Style: ehhh

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i dont know what kind of defense he used, as i didnt watch the fight, nor know who he is. but from my experience bobbing and weaving should be used sparringly and in conjunction with other defense. regardless of size!

b&w works best in pure boxing where you are only using your hands as arsenal!:D

Marasmos

Posted On:
    10/27/2003 1:59pm

supporting member
     Style: 10th Planet JJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Bobbing and weaving properly is probably the hardest part of boxing. I have, over the time i've been involved with martial arts and boxing, seen a lot of people who ***thought*** they were bobbing and weathing well, and very few people, outside of competitive fighter who actualy ***did***.

I, for one, was never very good at it, despite the fact that I competed as an amateur for about a couple of years.

Now, boxing offers a great set of tools to defend against strikes. One thing you must remember, though, is that a lot of it is specialized to the punching-only sandbox, and will get you eating knees in a kickboxing match, or picked up and slammed in a MMA match.
    You say what about my rice?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2003 6:19am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you can box, and work the clinch, then you don't have much to worry about IMHO.
    10AC fighter: I'm not sure what is meant by MT style punch defence - could you elaborate?

Movement has got to be the best defence against striking, you don't have to compromise your guard, and by slipping a strike you are in an excellent position to counter.
    When you bob/weave/duck/slip, you have to remember never to bend at the waist as this makes you vulnerable to knees/clinching/etc. - use your legs to change height. Other than this, boxing is excellent for striking defence IMHO.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/06/2003 5:44pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey Phil if you get the chance watch the David Loiseau Vs. Jorge Rivera fight at UFC 44. Loiseau just used his arms and body more for deflecting and absorbing blows. Watch that fight and let me know what you think.

Posted On:
    11/29/2003 10:19am

Style: MIXED

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    On the outside I use the Thai defense and on the inside I B&W.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/29/2003 11:38am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    10ACFIGHTER:

Generally speaking, I don't think that 'absorbing blows' is a good defense...especially against a well trained MT fighter.

I know it is done, but my opinion is that it just isn't a good idea...I'd much prefer deflection or avoidance.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2003 11:53am

Style: Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I haven't seen that fight either, but I guess the best way to describe what 10acfighter is talking about is by watching one of the Ernesto Hoost vs. Bob Sapp fights. When Sapp starts with his wild haymakers, Hoost just covers up and absorbs the shots with his forearms. Hoost doesn't even bother slipping or bobbing and weaving, probably because of his training. I guess MT boxers don't bob and weave because as other posters have said, it opens you up to knees.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2003 6:23pm

Style: stand up,clinch,ground

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i use what has been termed crazy monkey, a variation of the peek a boo boxing stance with alot of modifications, it works great for boxing, kickboxing and vale tudo

looks similar to what randy did vs liddell and rampage vs lidell

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/29/2003 6:27pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks for the help and info guys
    James
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast