Sponsored Links Spacer Image

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    11/22/2007 4:43pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gabe, please just quit now before you get blasted really frickin' hard

Your views on martial arts are limited, inaccurate and at times laughable. The questions that you are asking a strongly indicative of the fact that the style you train in either sucks as a whole or the dojo you are at sucks

Off the top of my head the folowing arts hit the face regualrly

Muay Thai
    MMA
    Boxing
    Savate
    TKD
    Kyukoshinkai
    JKD

and so forth

The fact you have to ask "do they work" means you have no experience to draw upon. The fact that you display quite a high level of ignorance relating to actual attacks and street confrontations means that the lack of figting experience is probably a good thing

As a guess and not a diss, are you in your teens by any chance?

BJJ might make you a better ground fighter, but Judo will make you a better dancer.

Posted On:
    11/22/2007 4:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I can think of loads of MAs that allow punching to the face, whachoo talkin' 'bout Willis? Boxing, muay thai, sanda, savate, kickboxing, MMA, daido juku (allows nutshots! By they are a little bit crazy), kyokushin...

Edit: And JKD of course, raar!

Posted On:
    11/22/2007 4:48pm

Style: chinese boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where do you get that MA doesnt allow facial contact? This is not true. You practice getting hit in the face by sparring. This takes away the shock to an extent. Also, as much as it sucks, you should be aware of attackers.

The main reason I train is excercise, you are more likely to have health problems than be attacked. Martial Arts kills two birds with one stone, excercise and self defense, as well as being fun.

Some arts train for sport, some for fighting, some for performance, whatever. I personally feel if you aint getting hit, you aint doing martial arts.

McCainosaurus Rex

Posted On:
    11/22/2007 8:10pm

Style: Very Thai Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I don't see any possible way that knowing Muay Thai would NOT help you in a fight.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    11/22/2007 9:47pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrael
    what my question is; does any martial art really train a person to fight in real life in modern times?
    I train to hit people that dont want to be hit by me while avoiding being hit by them. I'd suggest this has applicability to real life.

a person would have to train fighting a drunk guy who's saying you are looking at him in a particular way whilst possibly quite intoxicated yourself.
    Why do i have to train specifically to fight someone with impaired reaction times and motor skills? Slow people are easier to fight.

also in all likelihood for MA training to work in real life a person would have to be facing another MArtist one on one while circling each other, guards up.
    This seems silly to me. one can go from not standing around prepared to hit someone, to prepared to hit someone in about a split second. I dont need to circle anyone and put up my dukes and have a korotty battle. Just hit them.

training cannot quite get the hang of training to fight gangs. it has been known for people to 'line-up' to attack and then not resist.
    Regardless of whether or not one can fool proof themselves in a fight, training will certainly help ones chances. Not training isn't going to be an advantage. (Unless your martial art of choice sucks, then you might very well be better off not training)

also most people find doubt in their abilities when faced with a child.
    I've no doubt about my ability to take my right hand and lay it with full force into someones face with intention to do damage while they try to do the same to me. Sounds like you're training is lacking. I know I can knock people out because i've done it. The idea of doubting myself when faced with practically anyone of relatively similar size is pretty funny, let alone a child.

surely a fight experienced in real life would most likely be when a person least expected it?
    so where's the constant vigilance training?
    That really should be instinct. I find myself walking around in shitty neighborhoods relatively regularly and I always keep tabs on what's going on around me, I've got scraggly homeless dudes walking up to me with their hand in their pockets and gangsta wannabe's going to the hip hop club next door screaming about how they want me to suck their dick. Fuckin A-right I watch my surroundings.

who here expects to have to fight in real life?
    I don't really expect it, I still remain aware of the possibility.

who believes that they have the skill to fight properly and why?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2007 10:22pm

Style: No-Gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by AnnaTrocity
    INSERT SHAMELESS I FUCKING RULE POST HERE
    I'd say that the best post in this thread was just made.

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    11/22/2007 10:39pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gabrael
    also in all likelihood for MA training to work in real life a person would have to be facing another MArtist one on one while circling each other, guards up.
    WTF? Read this aloud to yourself and tell me why I shouldn't rip you a new asshole.

So my martial training won't work unless the other guy is also trained in MA?

"I'm sorry sir. I can't beat your ass because you don't know MA. Besides, you don't even have your hands up. Pfft. I bet you don't even know how to circle!"

I used the training I received in wrestling, boxing and BJJ in fights on numerous occasions. Does that mean I've never lost a fight? Hell no! My ass has been kicked several times in the past, but I promise you, it would have been kicked a hell of a lot harder without the MA training.

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    11/22/2007 10:53pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you are essentially an idiot martial arts training won't help

If you are essentially a ***** - someone who is afraid to get hit to give a hit and waits for an attacker to seize the initiative martial arts won't help.

If you are an out of shape pigeon toed pasty bag of nothing martial arts training won't help

good martial arts training isn't a guarantee but it should address all the issues and statistically give you a better chance of winning a street encounter.

Spear Sister

Posted On:
    11/22/2007 10:53pm

supporting membersupporting member
     Style: Dancing the Spears

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I will say that if someone trains in stiff ass korotty and gets in a real fight expecting it to look like their korotty battles in the dojo where two guys stand back and trade techniques playing tag of various contact levels, then they'll probably be in for a surprise.

if you train in a realistic martial art then this is not somuch an issue

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    11/22/2007 10:54pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think the universal consensus is that Gabe's parents should have used contraception about 15 years ago....
Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast