Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    11/21/2007 8:32pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Writers Strike May Put MMA on Network TV

NBC HAS BECOME THE LATEST network to hold talks about airing mixed martial arts programming early next year, if the "Hollywood" writers' strike continues. A source said the network may link with one of the many operators of MMA events to air either prime-time specials or slot the few-holds-barred programming in late-night.

The reality programming, of course, would not require any members of the writers' union for production. NBC did not immediately return calls seeking comment.

The interest in MMA programming is coming from NBC's entertainment division and would seem to fit with Ben Silverman's (the network's new entertainment head) penchant for high-concept reality series. MMA --where contestants can use a range of techniques from kicking to punching and beyond, which some consider a sport, others entertainment--is booming amid a young male audience.

MMA, however, contradict NBC's carefully cultivated image as the network with high-quality programming targeted at upscale urban audiences. A previous effort in the pugilistic area, "The Contender," proved to be a flop.

Then again, throughout the 1980s, NBC aired "Saturday Night's Main Event," a late-night wrestling series produced by what's now known as the WWE. In 2006, the network resuscitated the franchise for two prime-time specials. This summer, NBC ran two more in the series' old "Saturday Night Live" spot. "SNL" has been in repeats since the strike began, so an MMA special could offer an alternative.

It's not clear which MMA operator NBC would ultimately cut a deal with. Possibilities run the gamut from brands such as newly formed M-1 Global to K-1 to the International Fight League (which airs on FSN and MyNetworkTV). On Nov. 3, MyNetworkTV aired a live IFL event; its deal is not believed to be exclusive to MNTV.

One thing appears clear: NBC won't be airing the most popular MMA events, which come from the Ultimate Fighting Championship. The UFC is in advanced negotiations to air specials on CBS in the first quarter if the strike continues, the source said--adding that a deal could close as soon as this week, facilitated by Viacom network Spike, which holds UFC cable rights.

UFC President Dana White seems eager to take advantage of the writers' strike to offer his programming on a broadcast network. "We're talking to a lot of different networks right now," he says. UFC did not provide further comment.

UFC on CBS would be a curious fit, since MMA appeals to a younger and male audience; CBS tends to skew more to the 25-to-54 demo. Word of the negotiations between CBS and UFC was first reported by the Los Angeles Times. CBS declined comment.

Besides FSN, a slew of cable networks from Versus to Showtime to HD Net offer MMA programming.

(From: Media Daily News)
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/21/2007 10:24pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    This could be good.

Also, where the **** was Pizdoff on this one? He posts 20 **** articles a day, but misses one that is ACTUAL NEWS?

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    11/21/2007 10:34pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know..... I don't see any other legit combat sports on "free" TV. who give a damn if it attract more CrapouT type fans. The more they pay the better the promoters pay, Sponor's pay and the rest just rolls down hill. Honestly I think we've hit a talent ceiling in MMA. It's been mainstream long enough to have fished out the hidden talent. But you know, you can always swell the lower ranks with OK fighters and in the end it will develop and season the better fighters.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/21/2007 10:53pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No, there is more talent out there, but it's often in the form of guys who want some job security and don't give a **** about fame.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 12:50pm

Style: BJJ, JKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'd like to see it on NBC, I'd like to see it hit the status of Monday Night Football. I dont know how it would ever happen, but I think the IFL is on to something, and I think the UFC should adopt Teams. If not just as an experiment for one *Season*. I dont know how it'd work logistically but I'm sure a bunch of smart guys could figure out how to make it work.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 2:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Somewhere John McCain is softly weeping and drying his tears with his father-in-laws Budweiser boxing contracts.....

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 2:34pm

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    No, there is more talent out there, but it's often in the form of guys who want some job security and don't give a **** about fame.
    No doubt!!!

But this could possibly give those fighters the incentive to persue fighting full time vs holding down a job and fighting at once. There isn't a question in my mind that the ability for guys to train and fight full time is the reason we are seeing more and more talented well rounded fighters.

What doesn't need to happen is a prime time TUF knock off. Maybe a more conservative aproach is called for with a national TV type forum. Edited to focus more on the rigours of training, individual fighter back grounds and avoiding the TUF type emphasis on the childish horseshit that goes on non-stop.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 2:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by tabwyo
    What doesn't need to happen is a prime time TUF knock off. Maybe a more conservative aproach is called for with a national TV type forum. Edited to focus more on the rigours of training, individual fighter back grounds and avoiding the TUF type emphasis on the childish horseshit that goes on non-stop.
    you did read that this is going to be on NBC, right?

any hopes you have of fucking NBC being serious about this flew out on the very peacock that symbolizes this network.

get ready for as much TUF and TapouT as you can handle because that is exactly what most people associate with MMA.

If anything it'll be a mix of Survivor and TUF where a different MMA coach takes their team to the desert, the mountains, the rainforest and the Artic Tundra to train Rocky-style.

Sorry tab.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    11/25/2007 11:49am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You're mean.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    11/25/2007 12:03pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don "Jive Turkey" Gwinn
    You're mean.
    I'm not trying to be mean but am I necessarily wrong?
    It has the stink all over it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast