Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Keeping you safe from Mongolians

Posted On:
    11/21/2007 10:02am

Style: Sanda/Taijiquan *Hiatus*

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Human Weapon; Cambodian Bakator

Couldn't find a thread to discuss this weeks episode so here it is.

Pretty dull I thought. I struggled to find what was differant in this episode to anything shown in the Thailand episode. Even the weapons training looked like Krabbi Krabong. Boring fight, like the Thai episode, looked more like a friendly sparring match.

I did like the tiger pounce thing and the duck takedown :-p purely for aethetic value though.

solves problems with violence

Posted On:
    11/21/2007 10:11am

supporting member
     Style: Judo, Hung Family Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    i also wondered about what differences there were compared to muay thai/krabi krabong.

one reason why they might not have asked that question might be that it would have offended the instructors.

it was kind of heavy to see the bones and clothes coming up through the ground in the killing fields, though.
    "Face punches are an essential character building part of a martial art. You don't truly love your children unless you allow them to get punched in the face." - chi-conspiricy
    "When I was a little boy, I had a sailor suit, but it didn't mean I was in the Navy." - Mtripp on the subject of a 5 year old karate black belt
    "Without actual qualifications to be a Zen teacher, your instructor is just another roundeye raping Asian culture for a buck." - Errant108
    "Seriously, who gives a **** what you or Errant think? You're Asian males, everyone just ignores you, unless you're in a krotty movie." - new2bjj

Posted On:
    11/21/2007 10:33am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ming Loyalist
    it was kind of heavy to see the bones and clothes coming up through the ground in the killing fields, though.
    Yes very sad. Seemed out of place on a light hearted show like HW though.

Also what was with the story of killing a lion by kicking it in the balls?!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/21/2007 11:30am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Cambodia is a tough place. Most of the history was destroyed or obscured during the Khmer rule. I think this was an attempt to bring an almost extinct MA to light. The killing fields **** needed to be in there. You really can't travel/go around cambodia without hearing about it or seeing/feeling its effects on just about everything. I mean, you can, but you'd have to be pretty fucking obtuse.

I only saw the last 1/2 of the show. I thought it basically was the same as all the others.

Posted On:
    11/21/2007 11:35am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by cyrijl
    Cambodia is a tough place. Most of the history was destroyed or obscured during the Khmer rule. I think this was an attempt to bring an almost extinct MA to light.
    That's my point though, it really isn't anywhere near extinct, it's one of the most popular combat sports in the world. All they had to do was look slightly east. It just has a differant name.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/21/2007 11:38am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree to a point, but I think the coutry is just as much part of the consideration as the art itself (for better or for worse)

Community Corrections Officer

Posted On:
    11/21/2007 1:20pm

supporting member
     Style: Judo, TKD BB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, I kind of think it's wierd that they condensed all karate styles and all kung fun styles into one episode a piece, but then devoted an entire episode to what is essentially a regional variant of MT. Having said that, I thought this episode was good. It actually had less LARPing than the MT episode. It featured some cool local wrestling ("Khmer Wrestling") including showing Bill having a wrestling match with a big heavy Cambodian. It also showed Jason having a sparring match in addition to the final fight. And the last guy was vicious looking. Bill Duff: "As if he wasn't intimidating enough WITHOUT the tattoos."

This was better than the MT episode, IMO, for basically being the same thing.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/21/2007 1:28pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Submissions

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't forget: Duck > Roundhouse

Posted On:
    11/21/2007 3:53pm

Style: Does exercise count?

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I thought this episode had some of the least BS of all. Not to say that there wasn't any in it, but there wasn't THAT much. It wasn't that exciting or interesting as a whole, but it was a pretty solid show. The fight at the end was pretty damn dull, but the wrestling match was quite nifty.

I too wonder why all of kung fu and karate got one episode each and something that looked like a slightly different muay thai got its own show.

Posted On:
    11/21/2007 5:31pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I loved the double elbow. I've been doing that for years on Thai pads and I thought I invented it. Guess not. Oh well, in a friendly wrestling match with a bud years ago I invented the armpit armbar, only to have my hopes and dreams of martial legendom crushed by finding out later it's Judo's waki-gatame.

Oh well, I've got my own variation on omoplata that might actually be unique, and I've been backing into every pin, I haven't seen anybody else do it yet.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast