Our Sponsors:

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/21/2007 5:50pm

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, the pull is so weak they used to poison the bolts.

I've wanted to make one of these for awhile. I recently read that there were versions made that had two grooves and two hoppers so they could fire two bolts at once. I should make one of those.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    11/21/2007 7:24pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGA JESUS-SAMA
    No, even by the Napoleonic Wars guns had become entirely better than bows. And that's assuming a chu ko nu is comparable in range, power, and accuracy to a longbow, which it is not.
    Oh dear ****.

Because I'm not much of a dork, I'm not much of a rifle historian. I got that fun fact regarding Napoleon's muskets from the book On Killing by Col David Grossman where the author used it to illustrate a point about "posturing"- the use of a weapon to terrify rather than kill a battlefield adversary.

I'll look for some independent verification....

http://www.napoleonguide.com/weapinf.htm

It would appear that the rate of fire for a longbow vs. a musket would have made up the difference....

I cannot believe you fucking made me look this **** up. For all your trolling, this is the first time you have genuinely gotten under my skin. I'm going to go take a LONG shower to wash the stench of dorkdom off. Thanks for nothing.

**** you math class

Posted On:
    11/21/2007 8:53pm

supporting member
     Style: TKD, Ballet, Archery

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shooting faster isn't important. The bullet is a more lethal projectile over a longer distance, a gun requires less training to use, which is important because Napoleon's army was largely conscript, and with a bayonet allows the musketeers to serve as their own pikeman, whereas archers would necessitate a whole force entirely for their protection.

And come on, Napoleon lived in the 1800s. Bows had been obsolete for 250 years.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/21/2007 9:02pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    LOL, you need to brush up on your history and also actually FIRE and WITNESS the process involved in using a musket, you fucking twink.

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    11/21/2007 9:31pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by MEGA JESUS-SAMA
    Shooting faster isn't important. The bullet is a more lethal projectile over a longer distance, a gun requires less training to use, which is important because Napoleon's army was largely conscript, and with a bayonet allows the musketeers to serve as their own pikeman, whereas archers would necessitate a whole force entirely for their protection.

And come on, Napoleon lived in the 1800s. Bows had been obsolete for 250 years.

The only thing more important than accuracy in a battle is rate of fire, the longbow pwns on both counts.

Battlefield use of a musket or any muzzle loader is massively complicated and requires substantially more training, logistics, and national resources.

The introduction of field artillery made protecting these hypothetical archers much less of a priority.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2007 11:20pm

Style: MACP Level 1 +1 Mana

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Again, thank you.

Now, anyone know how to make enchanted bolts so I can go hunt the undead?

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/21/2007 11:52pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've heard silver does the trick.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2007 12:46am

Style: 유도 (Judo)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    The only thing more important than accuracy in a battle is rate of fire, the longbow pwns on both counts.

Battlefield use of a musket or any muzzle loader is massively complicated and requires substantially more training, logistics, and national resources.

The introduction of field artillery made protecting these hypothetical archers much less of a priority.
    Also, for most European powers, accuracy was not a concern. ROF certainly was. The whole point of loading drill, volley fire, and fire by platoon was to increase the ROF. Massed infantry formations in open battle were not hard targets to hit. In fact all advances to battlefield firearms up until the mid 1800's were devoted entirely to increasin the ROF, not accuracy. Ammunition and barrels stayed relatively the same. However trigger mechanisms, actions, and tactics were all developed along the lines of increasing the ROF.

Actually I am going to disagree here. Muzzle loading rifles are something that can be taught to conscript armies. The loading process for collective volley fire was easier to achieve on a grander scale with muskets than with bows.

To shoot a bow well requires not only a great deal of skill but a great deal of strength. While the manufacture of muskets would have been more complicated, I would still think it was easier to outfit men with muskets than bows. During the Sengoku period of Japan (a state of virtual anarchy), Lord Nobunaga was noted for outpitting his peasnt conscripts with muskets and defeating numerous Samurai (professional) armies, most notably the Takeda heavy cavalry at the battle of Nagashino.

And yes battlefield artillery changed alot of things.

Edit: The Cho Ku Nu sucked in Age of Empires II. One of the worst missile units along with the Frankish axemen. Mongol Mungudai pwnd everything in that game.
    Last edited by rsobrien; 11/22/2007 12:48am at .

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/22/2007 12:54am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The loading process for collective volley fire was easier to achieve on a grander scale with muskets than with bows.
    Have you ever loaded a musket...?

To shoot a bow well requires not only a great deal of skill but a great deal of strength. While the manufacture of muskets would have been more complicated, I would still think it was easier to outfit men with muskets than bows.
    You would think wrong.

During the Sengoku period of Japan (a state of virtual anarchy), Lord Nobunaga was noted for outpitting his peasnt conscripts with muskets and defeating numerous Samurai (professional) armies, most notably the Takeda heavy cavalry at the battle of Nagashino.
    Wait, charging ranged firearms with cavalry doesn't work!? There goes my "Using Equus to Defend the Gun" instructional video...

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    11/22/2007 1:06am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    Wait, charging ranged firearms with cavalry doesn't work!? There goes my "Using Equus to Defend the Gun" instructional video...
    Systema has a video on that you know...
Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast