Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    12/07/2007 6:25pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Out of curiosity, I've weighed my backpack a few times in the last 2 weeks. It seems I strap on around an extra 11 to 26 pounds nearly every day.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/12/2007 5:18am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MCMAP

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Having worn both a fully loaded USMC pack and a 40 lb weight vest from Sports Authority, I have to vote against the weight vest. My pack put most of the weight on my hips, whereas even with the vest cinched all the way down it hung from my shoulders. I am not a particularly svelt individual (6'2" 195lbs 32in waist) either. My pack, loaded down with parts and tools in addition to the "normal" USMC pack (and I've never met a Marine that gets away with just his own stuff in his pack) was probably about twice as heavy as my 40 lb vest, and yet it was far more comfortable. The vest felt like it was really hurting my back on a 5 mi run, whereas the pack only really made itself known if I changed direction quickly. It got to the point where I just loaded sandbags and extra drinking water in my pack instead of using the weight vest I paid good money for.

A 20 lb vest might not be so bad, but if you're planning on doing plyometrics with it I'd get the most secure one I could find. The GoFit one looks like it has an abdominal strap that might actually be worth a damn, it goes to 20 lbs and should be at any major online retailer. I'd only shell out for an XVest if I was going to do the full firefighter load and go find some stadium stairs.

Posted On:
    12/14/2007 9:09pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Inspired by Mr Kagan, I weighed the technical day pack I use during parkour with the normal load of stuff I carry (keys, money, ID, water, phone). It was around 8.5 pounds.

There was a guy at the gym tonight who was using a 32 lb Smart Vest. He let me try it on and encouraged me to attempt a pull-up while wearing it. I only managed five, but I really liked the feel of it relative to a dip belt. He raved about it for things like stadium runs and one-legged deep knee bends.

Two more data points. My research continues...
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Featherweight

Posted On:
    12/18/2007 3:50am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dropped way too much money on a weight vest from http://www.weightvest.com/ a couple of years ago (back when the bar I was working at was actually busy).

I bought the narrow, 50lb. one. As far as the actual vest goes, it was made really well, the 2.5 lbs weight bars were easy to configure, it didn't move around at all, it was easy to wash, and for a while I really dug working out with it. I looked at some of the cheaper ones at Target and other places, but they all seemed pretty hokey.

I ended up preferring a dip belt for weighted pullups and dips. I also like dumbells better for any squat, lunge, or thruster type of work.

The best usage I got out of the vest was for rope climbs, box jumps, and hill sprints.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/13/2009 4:49pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: muay thai/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Poop Loops View Post
    If you try to do Parkour with 40lbs extra on you, I forsee EPIC FAIL in your future.
    it can be done.....he just have to start really slow until he adjusts. i own an 80lbs vest so i'm sure he'll adapt to the 40lbs one if he's into parkour
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123