Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/20/2007 8:51pm

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Xvest? Other weighted vests?

[ Searched, no hits on 'xvest' here. ]

I've been thinking of picking up a weighted vest. Anyone here have any recommendations? The Xvest is quite expensive, but online reviews rave about it. I'm hoping for something adjustable up to around 40 lbs that's as comfortable as possible, and I'm willing pay a little extra for that comfort.

Thanks in advance.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Dysfunctionally Strong

Posted On:
    11/20/2007 11:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Boxing/Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Why exactly are you looking for a weighted vest? You could get a dip belt for cheap to add weight to bodyweight exercises, and the weight limit is much higher than 40lbs, and adding weight to things like running and stuff tends to be pretty damaging to the joints/ligaments, especially of the knee and back.

I usually can't find myself justifying the expense of one.
    "Emevas,
    You're a scrapper, I like that."-Ronin69

Posted On:
    11/20/2007 11:37pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Emevas
    Why exactly are you looking for a weighted vest?
    I've been thinking of using one for parkour exercises that would preclude dumbbells in the hands and make a dip belt very inconvenient. Think: bear crawls, parallel bars, gymnastics rings, rope climbs, monkey bars, handstand pushups, and so on, all done in a circuit. This kind of thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X15VRzQHq2U

... basically bodyweight crossfit turned into a game to keep me form getting bored.
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/20/2007 11:37pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^ What Emevas said. With some caveats (cus Ross Enamait, may his nuts provide us everlasting shelter, uses them for some exercises.)

That xvest thing is atrociously expensive. I got a 10lbs for my g/f for like $30 at Target (maybe even less), and I've seen vests that go up to 40lbs IIRC for about $60 or $70. Neither will be as orthopedic and as high quality as an xvest, but man, compare those prices for the xvest 12-pounder ($129.99).

A vest is very convenient for burpees and other b/w exercises (Ross Enamait has a whole bunch of neat ideas on how to use them). But a vest is appropriate when you have reached a point where you need to. And an extra 10lbs is no joke at all. I cannot imagine what kind of goliath can use a 40-pounder.

Then you have to consider the following. Unless you have strong, conditioned bones and tendons, that extra weight can mess you up (search for the effects of obesity in tendons and bones.) Maybe I'm overreacting and talking out of my ass, but I wouldn't want to do a 4-mile run with one of those on a regular basis.

For chin ups and pull ups, a dip belt is best (as Emevas suggested). In fact, a dip belt is great for many things that don't have anything to do with pull ups/chin ups. Try wearing a dip belt with 30lbs while doing bicep curls, cable tricep extensions, pleas and gobblet squats every now and then. Looks weird, but your hips, abs and lower back will be getting quite a workout.

I wouldn't consider a vest for push ups either. A cheap set of resistance bands (the flat ones without handles) are more versatile and they take no space in your gym bag.

I think the only time I've had use of my cheapo 10-pounder vest is for abdominals, back extensions and supermans. I experimented once with it for walking lunges, but I found it better to use straps to grab heavier dumbbells.

In other words, if you really want/need a vest, get a 10-pounder vest at Target or Sports Authority instead of forking $129 for a 12-pounder xvest, or get an Altus or GoFit 20-pounder for like $70. I would never fork a cent for anything heavier.

A dip belt seems like a better investment, though.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

OOOOOOOOOOAAARRGGHH RLY?

Posted On:
    11/20/2007 11:57pm

supporting member
     Style: In Transition

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by jackrusher
    I've been thinking of using one for parkour exercises that would preclude dumbbells in the hands and make a dip belt very inconvenient. Think: bear crawls, parallel bars, gymnastics rings, rope climbs, monkey bars, handstand pushups, and so on, all done in a circuit. This kind of thing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X15VRzQHq2U

... basically bodyweight crossfit turned into a game to keep me form getting bored.
    If you try to do Parkour with 40lbs extra on you, I forsee EPIC FAIL in your future.

and good morning to you too

Posted On:
    11/21/2007 9:12am

supporting member
     Style: MT/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Kein Haar had it right:

Q: when should I wear a weighted vest?

A: when you throw yourself overboard.
    You can't make people smarter. You can expose them to information, but your responsibility stops there.

Posted On:
    11/21/2007 10:00am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Poop Loops: the vests are variable weight in 1 lb increments. My plan was to work my way up, not toss on a 40 lb vest and start doing cat leaps. :smile:

Pirate: tell it to David Belle, man.

Emevas & Macho: thanks, as always, for your insight. By way of thanks, Macho, here's a video of Ana Forrest being awesome:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FTcLhOlIk5I

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    11/21/2007 1:29pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    I cannot imagine what kind of goliath can use a 40-pounder.

Maybe I'm overreacting and talking out of my ass, but I wouldn't want to do a 4-mile run with one of those on a regular basis.
    I do not mean to minimize the risk involved, especially when doing exercises with a high ballistic quotient. However,

- Military "Full Battle Rattle" is 90+ pounds.

- A firefighter suited up is carrying roughly an additional 84 pounds (please notice the xVest maximum weight).
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/21/2007 2:03pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Funny that you mentioned it because when I was driving to work I realized exactly the same. Moreover, I just remembered as I'm typing this that climbers train loaded backpacks!!!

I'm trying to understand how they cope with the stress in bones and ligaments with all that load on top of them. Of course, they train and get conditioning, but still.

Is this a case where the potential of injury is an acceptable risk for military personnel and firefighters (that is, they suck it up in order to fullfill their duties), or is this a case where the assumption (my assumption) of the risks involved with weight vests are grossly exagerated????
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2007 2:45pm

Style: PLUR

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Is this a case where the potential of injury is an acceptable risk for military personnel and firefighters (that is, they suck it up in order to fullfill their duties), or is this a case where the assumption (my assumption) of the risks involved with weight vests are grossly exagerated????
    I don't know, man. When I was in the Marines, I had a seargant who was a sponsored runner. He always told us that weights mangle your knee joints and can give you water on the knee. HOWEVER, that didn't stop my DI's from strapping 80 pounds of gear to my ass so they could march us around for 12 miles.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast