Our Sponsors:

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/20/2007 7:04pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, that's kind of what I was trying to ramble about, and is my approach both to weapons and empty hand. If I'm boxing someone, I rarely try to block a punch, I'd rather move to evade and counter attack as this movement occurs. Trying to block stuff just has you playing catch-up when it comes to blade or empty hand.

Imagine that someone swings a sword at you who is very fast. If you block his blade, he will instantly be re-directing and pressing a second attack, in which case you need to block that one too. This could go on forever until he finally cuts you. But if you were to simply evade the initial attack, and counter with a cut to his arms or body if possible, you may have immediately disabled your opponent, heading off his secondary attack or interrupting his combo.

Ditto for empty hand. If my opponent throws a straight right, and I block it, I'd better be ready for that second punch from his left. But if instead, I can angle off his shoulder as he throws the cross, and catch him in the jaw with a hook, or to the body with a bolo punch, I am much better off, as not only have I headed off damage to myself, but I have also hurt my opponent in the process.

Always go for your opponent rather than his weapons. If you can knock him out or cut him in a vital location, then you've probably won the fight. If you can damage his hands or less vital locations, you will slow him down and gain a psychological edge. If you just whack his weapon, all that you are doing is maybe saving yourself for the moment, but he absolutely will be attacking you again, most likely immediately after the block. If he's faster than you, you will eventually fall behind when blocking weapon to weapon. It's a losing game eventually.

Competition Team Tag...yes?

Posted On:
    11/23/2007 12:35am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, DBMA, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wanderer Ev
    Yes... Yes... I remember the times of battle in the beggining of my training here with the Kali group in Brazil. They where days of glory! Days of endless pain and suffering... Now, they are less violent but equally gratifying. In the beggining the sticks where hard and light, there was no protection whatsoever and we would punish each other till one of us would desist or the time was up. Now this has changed, the Age of Conan has ended...

Now seriosly, why are americans so afraid of getting hurt in martial arts training?
    Wasn't this thread started by a fellow brazilian?!
    Kuha'o - Kela - Koa

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2007 12:59am

Style: FMA BJJ Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PoiDog
    Wasn't this thread started by a fellow brazilian?!
    He didn't mean me, he was reffering to the law suit industry in the USA.
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123