Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/20/2007 2:26pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kali Silat

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with Neildo the helmet is badass. I agree on the fact that protection should sometimes be worn. But fighting without protection is very important, simply because you won't have protection everywhere, you become much more cautious without protection. I actually get less hurt when I fight without protection.

Posted On:
    11/20/2007 2:28pm

Join us... or die
     Style: FBSD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    it's all about tape.

when your hands are broken, you just tape the stick into your fist. The lump at the end of your arm will be numb eventually.
    :new_all_c

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2007 2:33pm

Style: FMA BJJ Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Neildo
    it's all about tape.

when your hands are broken, you just tape the stick into your fist. The lump at the end of your arm will be numb eventually.
    You get the Conan trophy for that one!

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    11/20/2007 2:34pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by The Wanderer Ev
    Now seriosly, why are americans so afraid of getting hurt in martial arts training?
    Um, we have to work?

or maybe the point is to not get injuried?

do you hard spar with blades too? :5bouncy:

edit:ya, what Ryno said.

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/20/2007 2:43pm

Style: FMA BJJ Blue

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr._Tzun_Tzu
    Um, we have to work?

or maybe the point is to not get injuried?

do you hard spar with blades too? :5bouncy:

edit:ya, what Ryno said.
    The black belts do, in their belt exams.

Posted On:
    11/20/2007 3:57pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Someone spars me with a blade, one of us is going to lose an arm, and it will probably be the other guy. Blade to blade contact is a poor form of defense. Blade to arm is how it should always be done.

I agree that you need to avoid getting reliant on armor, as it'll instill sloppy habits. But going completely all-out with no armor will get you hurt in a hurry. By armoring up, you can go all out, which is good. By going unarmored, you can't go all out but you can become much more aware of the threat posed by the weapons in front of you. You should do both. If you don't, some aspect of your game will be lacking.

Posted On:
    11/20/2007 4:28pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The only intelligent choices are armor up the weapon, or armor up yourself.

By blade to blade contact do you mean edge to edge, or weapon to weapon entirely?

It's pretty beat up, but it is a complete copy....

Posted On:
    11/20/2007 4:30pm

supporting member
     Style: EBMAS WT/ Latosa Concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just so we are clear, I am all for SOME full contact stick work, in some kind of Armor.

I think it is stupid to do ALOT of full contact stick work and be all busted up and suffer permenent injury. (unless you do events which may bust you up like dog bros, then you have a REASON to do more aka Ryno)

The thing with the blade goes like this. (and as you said Ryno, cut the arm not the weapon).

Obviously I am not training to go into Stick Tournys or Dog Bro, I am training to do self defense with a pocket knife or a table leg I break off, clipboard and pencil, whatever is around. So Blade work is going to be to cut flesh, to finish it quick and minimize risk. Using stick on stick the training is that his stick represents the bad guys ARM or NECK/HEAD. I am not training to trade blows on the sticks.

Any real cut from a pro will most likely kill me, I do not need to "tuffen up" for real life senerios like this. If the weapons collide then I must move around it so we also train interferne striking.

If I do full power stick work it is generally with no armor 'cept maybe gloves, and it is controled so that the stick represents the flesh of the other guys body. Then we do suppressed work zoning and stopping early just as we would with a blade in practice.

The Latosa System has much more controled work on position, technique, timing, distance, reading body language and hitting focus mitts or heavy bags. Less full contact work.

Tuffing up contact work can be done with glovs, mouth guards and boxing, since everything synergizes using the same core technique set.

and that helmut is fucking sweet!

"If anything is gained from this, it should be you both wanting to get better so you can make up for how crappy you are now." KidSpatula about the Sirc vs DTT Gong Sau Event
    Until the Bulltube is fixed:
    DTT vs Sirc

Posted On:
    11/20/2007 5:29pm

Style: FMA, Jujutsu/Judo/SAMBO

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by selfcritical
    The only intelligent choices are armor up the weapon, or armor up yourself.

By blade to blade contact do you mean edge to edge, or weapon to weapon entirely?
    Definitely no edge to edge, ever. But even blocking/deflecting with the flat of the blade, and making any weapon to weapon contact should be a back-up option as opposed to slicing your opponent's arm as you angle out. Blade to blade blocks are a waisted cut. For controlled training, it makes sense to go blade to blade. But if you do it too much, it instils bad habits unless you are very conscious about exactly where you are cutting, and exactly how you would alter that in a real fight.

Now, when people say sparring I take this to mean a simulated fight. In this case, I'm always going to be trying to hit the proper targets. With live blade, this would obviously be messy. To avoid injury you have to end up holding back your tactics, pressure, and proper targeting to the point where it no longer simulates a real fight. Imo, better to go with an unsharp blade and some light armor.

Posted On:
    11/20/2007 6:04pm

Style: Pekiti, ARMA, other stuff

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It struck me, because my instructor was talking a little bit about teaching the phillipine Force Recon units, and apparently they skip the portions of the system dealing with deflection and weapon-on-weapon contact entirely- they only teach the troops striking, footwork, and the contradas( an evasion and counter-attack method that stresses avoiding weapon contact at all costs). Typically, the contradas are not taught as a first stage in pekiti, as the assumption is that your timing is not yet developed when you begin, so defense is primarily conversion of attacks to deflection or counter-attacks by tightening the arc of the attack.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast