Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 10:47pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Obviously, any actual combat situation that a person might get into will involve a group of unarmed aggressors against a single unarmed combatant. The ROK's went into battle with just their hands and fists. No other weapons. No guns or knives or grenades or what-have-you. Just one ROK versus entire divisions of the enemy. Their very presence unleashed an aura that caused all other soldiers in the surrounding area to also forego their guns for the weapons crafted by God.

My wife's brother's cousin's girlfriend's uncle's former roommate is a World Champion judoka who also told me that an escaped Yakuza gang member brought judo to Brazil, but the esteemed Dr. Wong forgot to mention how Helio Gracie single handledly took control of the entirety of Rio de Janeiro's drug trade by way of an armbar, and is now the Most Wanted man in the world for his untouchable cartels of doom.

--Joe

I Ducked Out on a Gong Sau

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 10:49pm

Style: Gentleman Adventurer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Duh, he doesn't need to, dummy. He's from the Martial Arts Hall of Shame... err... Fame. Citing sources are for pussies and brawlers without honor, discipline, tradition and all that cool **** written in Kanji or Hanzi that real martial artist like to hang in walls to show their connection with Master Po.
    Don't get sassy with me Officer Macho! You may be the department's rising star, but you're still a rookie in my books!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 10:51pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, Wing Chun

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by KempoFist
    60% of their "kills" were barehanded!? I smell bullshit. Even if this were true, then why did they not have weapons? This isn't some Chuck Norris fantasy, these guys were supposed to be armed soldiers.
    Yeah I can't imagine that being even remotely true.

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 10:58pm

supporting member
     Style: Taijiquan/Shuai-Chiao/BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wait, what I'm supposed to politically correctly neutralize the Gooks and then buy anti-aging and pro-sexual natural health products from a Chinese man because I'm a peaceful hippie and believe in naturopathy?

I don't think guy understands his audience very well.

Also, his PhD is in martial arts, so he's obviously a moron.

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 11:05pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ooh, he's an Old Rite Catholic priest too, and an author!

This is the cover to his PDF-published "book":

That's not a joke! Well, it is, but I didn't make it up, I just found it.

Enforcer of Northeast Anti-Silliness Department Inc.

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 11:12pm

supporting member
     Style: Kaju, BJJ, Judo, Kempo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    BREAKDOWN OF STUPIDITY TIME!

This one is surely going to get me in trouble. But, as Iíve never been one to go with fads and current thinking on most anything and Iíve never been one to hold my tongue when I believe something is dead wrong - here goes!
    You also seem to be one who doesn't go along with critical thinking and knowing what the hell you are talking about before opening your mouth.

The ground fighting and mixed martial arts fad of the last 15 or so years is great for sport, TV watching and for some folks wagering on but I really have to say when it comes to the street or battleground it is near useless for actual combat against folks who are really trying to kill you and not just score points on you!

In real combat the object of the game is to kill or incapacitate the enemy, then turn round and do it again, then turn round and do it once more for as many bad guys as you may be facing.
    Where do you live? What are the local laws regarding murder in self defense?

In a street situation or battlefield there will likely be more than one opponent to neutralize (i.e. pc jargon for kill). So what happens if you take an opponent to the ground and proceed to put locks on him, choke him, punch, knee and other wise abuse him? Iíll tell you what happens: that particular guy you are working on may be in trouble but his fellow gang members, troopers or terrorists will knife, bayonet, rifle-butt, club or otherwise put a serious hurting on you because while you are playing ďHulk HoganĒ you can only deal with one opponent. All of the bad guys friends are free to to do what ever they please to you. Have you ever thought about that? Real fighting is a multi-person melee and free for all - when you have Gooks coming through the wire and itís hand-to-hand time, there are bad guys who are seemingly everywhere.
    No what happens, is you don't know how to ground fight, thus when you end up on the ground in this multi-man assault, you end up getting stabbed and killed because you do not possess the capability to control the situation and get back to your feet.

The only folks who need to use take downs and ground fighting to subdue folks are cops; thatís their job. Citizens facing deadly force are under no compulsion to subdue and hold a criminal for the police! (That goes only for the US. For you folks in Europe, where there is no right to self defense and youíll get arrested for furthering violence if you resist an attack, just lie there and get beaten-up as little as possible). Your only job is to make sure you and yoursí survive the encounter as best as you can manage.
    And where does MMA and even pure ground-grappling profess "subduing" or "holding" someone? MMA possesses all of the most effective ways to strike and knock out an opponent, and the ground grappling arts imply choking or breaking; to death if necessary. Poking the eyes, groin kicking, and other such things shmucks like you profess however do NOT kill or stop an assailant.

But youíve been told by the Brazilian Ju Jitsu folks that their ground fighting arts were actually combat tested and based. Well yes but... All the stories about Brazilian Ju Jitsu doing so well in actual combat in the mob wars and so forth of Rio, need to be looked at in the context of the situations they found themselves in. A former cop and Olympic Judoka friend of mine told me that the Brazilians developed their form of Ju Jitsu when a Japanese Yakuza escaped prosecution in Japan, went to Brazil and taught a particular mob family there how to best sneak up on Rio cops and kill them. I guess that presents combat experience of sorts.
    Wait....Maeda was a member of the Yakuza and taught ninja assassination techniques? Silly me, I always thought he taught them Judo.

Letís look at real martial arts applied to actual combat situations to see what actually works. The best example and statistics we have to date on martial arts use in combat are those concerning the South Korean troops that served in the Vietnam war. The NVA and VC totally feared the Koreans. God bless them, the ROKís were ruthless! The ROKís are among the hardest hearted and toughest troops on the planet, ask anyone whoís served or fought with them.
    Yay for evidence-less anecdotes and tall tales!

They are legends with almost entire divisions among the ROK Marines and Paras being made up of black belts. In Vietnam the only troops to consistently use their martial arts were the ROKís. They used Korean style karate, and while Yodo (Korean Judo) is commonly taught, the military CQB techniques are entirely punch - kick in nature.
    More feel-good anecdotes! And where does MMA not advocate punching or kicking? I'd say it's at the least 50% of the gameplan.

In their 11 years of involvement in the war, with all their major operations and areas of responsibility their losses were only 5,000 killed and 11,000 wounded! Their kill ratio (how many of the enemy died for every one of their killed) was in the triple digits to one! With almost 60% of their kills involving only the use of hands or feet (punch, chop and kick) and no other weapons!!!
    60% were barehanded kills!? Where were their weapons??? Sources please.

That is real combat experience. This is also very telling of what actually works on the battlefield.
    ANECDOTES!

Yes we all need to know how to do some wrestling. Getting out and up from a take down, a lock, some other technique are needed knowledge. But the thought that engagements can be won by taking an opponent down and working on him while on the ground ignores the realities of the street and battleground.
    Better suggestion for how to deal with an opponent who grabs you and takes the fight to the ground please.

All in all, this guy should not be teaching martial arts based on what he's said here. He displays a stunning lack of knowledge of both history and actual fighting application.
    Knowing is not enough, you must apply...
    ...Willing is not enough you must do
    ~Bruce Lee

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 11:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Octopussy!

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 11:20pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Striking/Grappling/Poking

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Oh come on, the whole article is obviously bullshit. Why waste time with it?

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 11:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: former Kempo(Villari's)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [sarcasm] Makes sense to me. MMA is really a sport. Go ahead, try shooting in on a guy with a gun, you know what'll happen? He'll shoot you, him or one of his buddies. So you need something that works on the battlefield, will stop a foe in his tracks, and isnt as sporty or trendy as MMA... the author is looking to Korea for such a style. Oh, of course! I know! TKD![/sarcasm]

When I started reading that article I had to check my calendar, make sure it wasn't April 1st already.

WARNING: BJJ may cause airway obstruction.

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 11:24pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Bajillion Joo Jizzu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Real fighting is a multi-person melee and free for all - when you have Gooks coming through the wire and itís hand-to-hand time, there are bad guys who are seemingly everywhere.
    The ROKís are among the hardest hearted and toughest troops on the planet, ask anyone whoís served or fought with them.
    Bipolar much?
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 12 3456 ... LastLast