Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 4:41pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

homemade micro weights / micro loads

I was searching for magnetic micro weights (I want to get a few 0.5 to 2.5 pounders), and I ran into this dude's thread where he made them with pennies. I thought it was cool and you may want to check his thread:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=3032501

Last edited by Teh El Macho; 11/19/2007 4:44pm at .
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 4:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For those of you new to micro-loading, you may ask why this is needed. In the original thread, there is a good response that clarifies things up.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave T
    Suppose the smallest plate you have is 2.5 lbs. Well, you have to keep the bar balanced so adding a 2.5 plate to both sides makes the minimum weight you can add 5lbs. If you are talking about dumbells, then you have to keep each dumbell balanced too, so you end up adding a 2.5 lb. plate to each side of each dumbell making the smallest increment that you can add 10lbs.

For lots of people who have been lifting for a while, just adding 10 lbs onto your dumbell bench press isn't a viable option today. Steps have to be a little smaller than 10 lbs. So people microload their weights so they can make progress.

If you add 2 lbs a week to your dumbell press, thats over a 100 lbs in a year. That is great progress once you are past your newbie gains.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 5:19pm

Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, this is pretty cool. I actually find that I need to micro-adjust my weight mostly with hammer curls and lateral flies (not sure about the name- the one where you're on the bench lying on your back, and you bring your arms from stretched out to the side to stretched out in front of you).

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 5:43pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uri, most literature call them "Fly" or "Lying Fly". For flies and hammer curls, you may want to try getting a bunch of resistance bands from Sports Authority (not the ones with handles, but ones that are flat (they are more versatile):

Then you can use them for curls and flies every once in a while, by themselves or with dumbbells. The beauty of these is that resistance gradually increases when you reach your strongest point (when you come to full flexion) and decreases when you are at your weakest point (when you are fully extended.)

They are a good way to get past a plateau, and for isolation exercises, those bands may look puny, but they are a bitch. I use them extensively since my elbows are pretty much fucked.

Micro-weights will make a fine addition to my toolbox. My g/f has these 1lbs ankle weights, and they are great for that, but they only work for barbells (too clunky for dumbbels). Further searching I found this other alternative, which is easier to implement (see the link for details):

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/ridgely4.htm

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 5:49pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Holy crap, that's amazing! Flies are among my weakest exercises, and I don't happen to have a bench lying around. The idea that I can do those without a bench...

Wait, but I want the resistance coming from behind me. Like this...

How would I go about that with resistance bands?

P.S. I vote that you sig this thread.
    Last edited by Uri Shatil; 11/19/2007 5:51pm at .

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 6:23pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uri Shatil
    Holy crap, that's amazing! Flies are among my weakest exercises, and I don't happen to have a bench lying around. The idea that I can do those without a bench...

Wait, but I want the resistance coming from behind me. Like this...

How would I go about that with resistance bands?

P.S. I vote that you sig this thread.
    There are some ideas on how to use resistance bands here:

http://exercise.about.com/cs/exercis...istanceban.htm

If you don't have a bench, the easiest thing is to wrap the band around something (a pole or a sturdy doorknob for example) and do one-hand standing or seated pec flies (like this lady in the link above):

A word of caution is that you don't want to rely on these isolation exercises for chest development. If you don't have a bench, nor access to a barbell, you'd be better off doing push ups with the resistance bands:

Or dumbell floor presses (two hands or one hand):

Or wide (pecs) and close grip (tricep) push ups

Or better yet, start working towards one hand push ups, which will work the living **** out of you from your neck down to your hips.

The fly is an isolation exercise that should be considered auxiliary or supplemental to other compound "push" exercises. Don't rely on it much ;)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 7:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    yeah, wide grip pushups are great for pecs, but they're killer on the wrists.

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 8:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Have you tried them on your knuckles (over an stable, padded surface of course), or while holding push up handles? I don't do push ups with my hands flat on the floor anymore (wrist problems), and I've found knuckle push ups to be waaaaaay more benign to my girly, osteoarthritic wrist.
    Last edited by Teh El Macho; 11/19/2007 9:03pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 9:17pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ah, that's much better. Thanks, teh el macho.

GIJoe6186 like boys, mainly his brother

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 10:20pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Uri: aren't you like 15? If so I don't think you need to be micro loading your weights. If you do wouldn't that point to flaws in your routine? I'm 21 and have been lifting a few years now and have no need to micro load.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast