Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 6:33pm

supporting member
     Style: Bartitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    [QUOTE=zuarkong]

We can assure you that the African martial systems we practise are purely African with no addition from western or oriental sources, basically these are not reconstructed Muay Thai BJJ etc.As Musangwe has been practised in Africa for over a thousand years, it's recognised by the South African government and sports council and numerouse scholars as an indegenouse African martial art.
    I don't doubt that Musangwe and similar styles are genuine African traditions, but we have documentary evidence of one (Mukumbusu) that incorporates techniques from other styles. Personally I don't think that "purity" of technique matters very much; all MAs evolve and it's the characteristic body language, rules, rituals etc that make them unique to particular cultures.

Empty hand fighting systems, fist fighting systems, and kicking arts have existed in Africa for milleniums, long before western boxing and the oriental arts were systemised.Please see below for a list of pure African fist fighting systems, these are real and not made up you can even google them.
    Again, no doubt that African martial arts are very old, but lacking written records, how can anyone know which particular techniques were being practiced thousands of years ago?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/21/2007 4:06pm

Style: EF UM A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    great another comba tai guy on our hands.
    "African Martial arts Predate everyones. We ares the originals"

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2007 12:47pm

Style: Muai thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You know what would be awesome?
    Videos!!!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2007 2:58pm

Style: Escrima n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Angry_Spastic
    The Venda tribe of South Africa....

Hmm....

Time somebody gave an anthropologist a bell.
    I'll email Tom Green.
    I'm no anthropologist, and the Venda certainly aren't a tribe in the sense that they all live in the same area in one big village or some such thing, but the Venda people and their language, TshiVenda (hope I spelled that right!) certainly do exist.

Martial mediocrite

Posted On:
    11/22/2007 3:56pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Using bag as aggro outlet

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes,

Like my friends from the Sudan who share a common language but one look tells you that they are not genetically related (one group are short and muscular, the others average height and slim)

Incidentally, they mentioned a neighbouring tribe who settled disputes with their enemies by wrestling on the ground, taking their opponent's back and plucking their eyes out. They are an unpopular people (unsurprisingly) and are feared for their bastardlike use of eye rakes.
    What am I?:

I am ignorant, thieving, lying, hypocrital, violent and thoroughly self obssessed. I steal from others to make myself look better, only to make the item or information worse.

I go on and on and ON about how brave and strong and brilliant and wealthy I am, but in the end I'm all mouth and no trousers.

That's right children, I'm your average AMERICUNT! and I exemplify AMERICA!:911flag:

:occasion1

JohnnyCache's "retort" proving how much he knows about medicine and geography and First World countries:
    http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...=78188&page=22

Yes, through persistent lack of work and the cultivation of ignorance, he is a true American.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    11/22/2007 8:05pm

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The Dmitri Tribe is feared throughout the land. . . .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2007 9:41pm

Style: Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Don "Jive Turkey" Gwinn
    The Dmitri Tribe is feared throughout the land. . . .

Do they practice the long lost art of Afri Kaan?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2007 10:39pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here in the UK on BBC 3 (Freeview TV channel!) there was a fairly recent 8 programme series called 'Last Man Standing' featuring Western athletes learning tribal sports around the Globe. A few were Martial Arts based - Senegalese Wretling & Zulu Stick Fighting being 2 African based episodes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/lastmanstanding...de/index.shtml

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/22/2007 11:03pm

Style: Karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    zuarkong said:

Kwambo footboxing

Kwambo is a foot fighting system practiced by the Hausa tribe of Nigeria similar to Capoeira. Like Capoeira itís practiced in a circle with drumming and African music but itís more combative since itís full contact, and fighters have been known to suffer broken legs and ribs. The Hausa refer to this as drumming of the feet, since fighting is accompanied by drum beats and music. Kwambo is not the only Foot fighting system similar to Capoeira found in Africa.The following are similar foot fighting systems still found in Africa today, that have existed centuries before Capoeira.

1óNzango from the Congo

Ngolo from Angola direct ancestor of Capoeira

3óNtia from modern Ghana practiced by the Ga tribe kicks similar to kickboxing since
    the human body can only move differently in so many ways.Ntia is actually is subart
    of Asafo Atwele traditional fist fighting of the Ga tribe.

This is most interesting, it was my understanding that Capoeira was brought to Brazil by African slaves but they had to disguise their fighting abilities from the "Masters" by making it appear to be a Dance form to the untrained eye.
    I would like to see a video of Ngolo in particular to see if it is more/less or even the same as Capoeira in terms of acrobatic Dance looking or is more obviously a way of fighting.

I have also read/heard that the reason there is no real punching in Capoeira was because it was assumed that both combatants would most likely be armed with a knife or some weapon and the kicks were to give extra advantage and reach. (?)

I have also been informed the same "knife carrying" being a given was the basis of early French Savate being heavily foot orientated.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/23/2007 7:12pm

Style: EF UM A

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sushi-Boy
    zuarkong said:

This is most interesting, it was my understanding that Capoeira was brought to Brazil by African slaves but they had to disguise their fighting abilities from the "Masters" by making it appear to be a Dance form to the untrained eye.
    I would like to see a video of Ngolo in particular to see if it is more/less or even the same as Capoeira in terms of acrobatic Dance looking or is more obviously a way of fighting.

I have also read/heard that the reason there is no real punching in Capoeira was because it was assumed that both combatants would most likely be armed with a knife or some weapon and the kicks were to give extra advantage and reach. (?)

I have also been informed the same "knife carrying" being a given was the basis of early French Savate being heavily foot orientated.
    as a kali guy imma have to disagree.
    leg/foot strikes give you more range but its pretty easy to slice up your leg when you stick it out there.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast