Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    7/09/2007 3:09pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Mixed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Checking Bona Fides for SDS Intl

I am looking a several grappling schools in my area and one of the providers is Self Defense Systems International (SDS), which is headed by Prof. Gary Dill. The local SDS instructor is a Henry Blankenship, who teaches a Taijitsu course via our local parks & recreation department. Taijitsu is described as a hybrid of jujitsu and kenpo. The particular flavor of jujitsu involved is SDS's "Bushido Jujitsu"; anyone heard of the organization (SDS), the instructor, or the system? Trying to do a BS check before going any further with this provider. Thanks! :icon_colo

Posted On:
    7/09/2007 3:29pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Several schools in my area (No. VA), to include BJJ, Judo, Aikido, etc. I am seeking something that will do the following (a) provide street sensible self defense techniques, (b) allow for reasonable level of fitness, and (c) not cripple me so I can't go to work (I am 51).

Posted On:
    7/09/2007 4:16pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks---much appreciate the insights vis-a-vis BBJ, Aikido, and Judo. Yeah... I have been wondering about the physical impact of the arts that stress throwing techniques---Judo & Aikido---my background is mainly in Karate (Shodan in '96) with a year spent in BJJ. I left the BJJ due to an old chronic injury to the left shoulder/upper arm that made the repeated application of arm bars very painful (restricted range of motion in that arm). However, I REALLY liked the techniques of BJJ, which were very straight-forward and sensible. I have thought about checking out traditional Japanese Jujitsu, as well, to see if it might be a good fit.

By the Hoary Hand of Hoggoth.....

Posted On:
    7/09/2007 4:55pm

Style: JKD & Mok'bara

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Do you actually realise how annoying it is to make a duplicate thread??

READ THE FORUM GUIDELINES!!!!

Oh, and I replied in your other thread BTW

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 1:59pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Not a grappling system

If you want to study grappling, that class is not what you're looking for. It's a combination of kempo karate (i.e., rapid, flowing strikes) and jujitsu (in the sense of throws, joint locks, etc.) To be clear, it is not groundfighting.

Posted On:
    7/10/2007 7:23pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks----appreciate the info regarding the SDS Taijitsu makeup. Regards.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/25/2007 9:39am

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I studied under Dill for about 3 years straight and maybe 3 more off and on and in my opinion I would not respect ANY certification from his association. Many of his and his underlings' "certifacations" or "awards" are not authentic. There many shady things that occur with in the SDS/JKD "family"! YOU ARE FOREWARNED :)