Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/18/2007 11:12am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Kenpo, BJJ Noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Uhmmm, that's a chicken-and-an-egg kind a of situation. Actually, no, it isn't. The demand for taebo and cardio kickboxing was created after the dilution and pussyfication of martial arts.

Also, there is nothing wrong with tae bo and cardio kickboxing. If a tae bo instructor sells and teaches tae bo for what it is (a group aerobics class as most tae bo instructors do) and not as a real martial arts, there is nothing wrong with it.

Martial arts inspired fitness programs are not the problem. The problem is that people have been selling useless, impractical **** as martial arts, a craptacular practice that preceeded martial arts inspired fitness programs.

It wasn't a niche market. They expanded their markets by replacing the martial content with stuff that is nice to have (spirituality, discipline, mystic ****, etc), and that has greater appeal to the masses who do not know any better.

If MMA didn't exist, if MMA weren't on TV reminding them that they can't fight for ****, they wouldn't be complaining about their current situation. They would still be happy milking the financial cow of their fallacies without ever having to put their fists (and face) where their mouths (and untested claims) were.

They created the market. They dilluted their material to attract a wider customer base, a customer based that was completely uninformed to the stuff sold to them.
    I see your point.

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    11/18/2007 12:51pm

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    for the most part that is true, but not every tma has 'sold out'. but, the percentage is probably running like ninety percent. and by tma, i mean 'pre judo' arts. judo and the like are the epitome of mma (modernized martial arts).

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    11/18/2007 1:25pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The problem is with the public. What they want is to think they're hardcore, not to be hardcore. This demand creates a vacuum which the market naturally fills. There are at least three dozen MA schools within two miles of my home. Krav Maga, Oom Young Do, Five Karate Schools, Four TKD schools, etc. Every last one of them Mcdojos. Every last one of them completely worthless glorified babysitting services or hidden dens for weirdos.

Slipping coal into stockings with a little sumptin for mom.

Posted On:
    11/18/2007 2:21pm

Style: Rehab Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by SFGOON
    The problem is with the public. What they want is to think they're hardcore, not to be hardcore. This demand creates a vacuum which the market naturally fills. There are at least three dozen MA schools within two miles of my home. Krav Maga, Oom Young Do, Five Karate Schools, Four TKD schools, etc. Every last one of them Mcdojos. Every last one of them completely worthless glorified babysitting services or hidden dens for weirdos.
    Yay wierdo's. But SFGOON has the key vital point. "Too deadly to spar" sounds alot better than "your mommy will pull you out of my school if you get a bloody nose."

and humble, too!

Posted On:
    11/18/2007 3:36pm

Style: Systema, BJJ, Arrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Or worse yet, t3h ug1y BL$CK 3Y3!

My wife continually asks me to quit MA because I come home looking like a zombie corpse from CSI, covered in bruises and mud.

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    11/18/2007 3:56pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find the entire tone of the article - that a bunch of shaven headed "elevated masters" get together for dim sung and deciding the fate of martial arts - so corny and irritating that I can't really make myself care about any point the author may be making.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234