Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 9:31pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Deadly streets Vs the fighting stage

(Couldnt find a complete fit in any of the forums, self defence seem to fit best. Sorry if Im wrong)

We have all come across the arguements of how deadly the street is and on forming techniques to cope with said deadlyness. But if a fighter training full heartidly only to beat the str33ts will they be as an effective fighter as someone who fights to compete professionaly?.

My reasoning is no, it is not suffecient. And probaly not even suffecient for the dangerous roads, probaly not even an aggresive cul de sac.

Because the are training against an undefined opponent, one that for some reason is assumed to be a martial lay person. Some with no training who can only throw the most telegraphed of haymakers, and only stab in "psycho" fashion. Their motivation is stunted as well, they cannot measure their abilities. When you have a fight coming up you train your ass off because you know how and what to improve. Without competition or atleast hard and frequent sparring using their deadly techniques they cannot test their deadly skills accurately.

A pro fighter fights for their livelyhood everyfight, and will train more than virtually any other fighter only aimed at self defense. The most respected MA's are heavily based on competing, because if you can compete then the deadly street skills are part and parcel AND tested. If you train only for those occasional encounters then you are ice skating uphill. The obvious exception is people who need self defense as part of their livelyhood, police, miltary, etc. But I think they fall under the same category as "pro fighter" just in a very different sense.

However it all seems moot because some random guy with no training whatsoever can still stab a world champion up in the exact same fashion as the most deluded of larpers. The larper though might have the sense of running away, where as the champs ego might stop him. That and "tough guys" seem to attract more trouble.

So training to be champion of the world > training purely for self defence.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 9:41pm

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well unless your a larper or deluded if yuour training for the streets then your sparing, just like a sport MMAist

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 9:47pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes but what are you training for?, a random attack from a random opponent(s). Even with alive training and hard sparring, they will lack the commitment of the pro fighter.

Edit:

Dammit its to late, cung le is keeping me up. My brain is frazzled my arguement doesnt make much sense.
    Last edited by Jadonblade; 11/16/2007 9:52pm at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/17/2007 2:24am

Style: Krav Maga/ Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    No it doesn't. It's not realy that hard to figure out objective reality from precived reality. training for the streets is just like training for MMA except you also do practice with"Fake gun and knifes" and take some precautions so as not to injure your partner. ANd also except some of your weapon training can not be acuritly simulated in most cases because no one i know knowes how to simulate and judge acurtly the effects of a knife cut.

If this isn't coherent forgive me time stamp says i need bed.