Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 2:57pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    PPS: Hmmm, me no think so. I don't think that's Greg Valentino, but still, what they did to their arms is fucking retarded.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 7:35pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Can we just take a step back and ask why the hell white belts are so hard for stupid Eddie Bravo gimmicks?
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

All Out of Bubblegum

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 8:51pm

supporting memberforum leader
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    See, the problem here is in the cognitive gap between a purple saying "maybe you should try 'turtling' dynamically like in the griffin-rua fight" and a white belt trying it and giving up his back 75 or 80 times.

IRT Boyd: Cooler names. They have cooler names.
    There's no choice but to confront you, to engage you, to erase you. I've gone to great lengths to expand my threshold of pain. I will use my mistakes against you. There's no other choice.

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 9:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Well, to be fair I'd like to state on the record that Vince Tortelli hereby has my full and total conset to print out this thread and shove it in the face of the purple belt, informing him that Boyd of Internet Fame says he's found the only possible way to out-retard a white belt trying Eddie Bravo moves.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

Gnarly King of Half-Guard

Posted On:
    11/17/2007 1:09pm

Join us... or die
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Boyd
    Well, to be fair I'd like to state on the record that Vince Tortelli hereby has my full and total conset to print out this thread and shove it in the face of the purple belt, informing him that Boyd of Internet Fame says he's found the only possible way to out-retard a white belt trying Eddie Bravo moves.
    What do you think the white belts at Eddie Bravo's gym do, exactly? I eventually earned my blue belt, as far as I can work out, by ruthlessly whoring his half-guard sweeps...

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    11/17/2007 1:34pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HA HA
    More and more (outside of movie theatre etiquette) I find myself appreciating Boyd and his Boydisims

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    11/17/2007 2:02pm

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli
    I was rolling with another white Belt at my BJJ gym, and he started to pass my guard, however, I was able to secure a half guard with a lockdown/grape vine. A purple belt who was watching the rolling then read me the riot act over using the half guard, telling me that it would get me crushed if there was striking allowed. His solution was to turn turtle whenever your guard is being passed, as you have more options from this position???

Also, he said that the lockdown was easy to beat, all the person on top needed to do was stand up (which he had the other guy do as a demo) and my legs would be locked in place and I would be helpless.

Now, I didn't argue with him because he's a purple and I'm a white, but....WTF? It seems to me that standing up in half guard just opens you up to a whole lot of leg locks and sweeps. Also, turtle is better than half guard as regards striking? Huh? Any advice/comments would be appreciated.
    The only time you should ever be in turtle, in a striking environment, is briefly during a transition. It's almost* a worse position than being mounted in my opinion. At least when you're mounted you can see your opponent and use your arms to defend. The best you can do in turtle is get out of it as fast as possible. Failing that, what are your options? Covering up the back of your head? Sounds marvelous.

In a sport environment, the turtle is marginally better, but this guy wasn't talking about the turtle in a sport grappling environment now, was he.

*sneaky edit
    Last edited by jnp; 11/17/2007 3:32pm at .

Antiquated

Posted On:
    11/17/2007 2:28pm

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate to admit this, but when I was taking BJJ, I turtled up if and when someone was going to mount, then waited for them to make a mistake.

Judo turtling ftw.

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 11:09am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PointyShinyBurn
    What do you think the white belts at Eddie Bravo's gym do, exactly?
    Work on basic hip movement, learn some guard passes, chokes, armlocks, a couple simple closed and open guard sweeps, earn a basic understanding of positional hierarchy? Maybe a greater emphasis on leglocks since Bravo's is a no-gi gym?

I eventually earned my blue belt, as far as I can work out, by ruthlessly whoring his half-guard sweeps...
    Far be it from me to play the Wisened BJJ Senior role here, but ruthlessly whoring half guard sweeps is one of the worst ways to learn BJJ, topped only by ruthlessly whoring Eddie Bravo Lockdown half guard sweeps. I'm not the sort of individual given to circuitously rubbing my Cock of Expertise against Helio's haggard Gaping Maw of Dogma, but even if you don't practice BJJ for MMA, repeatedly pulling half guard makes you as trite a cliche as the TKDer Afraid of Full Contact or Chinese Martial Artist That Swears A Lot.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/19/2007 12:20pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    >> I'm not the sort of individual given to circuitously rubbing my Cock of Expertise against Helio's haggard Gaping Maw of Dogma

I wish I could +rep you for this.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 12 345612 ... LastLast