Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 10:16am

Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hip Bump

I see this term all over the place in Gitmo and DHS when discussing closed guard work and I was just wondering what it meant? I'm wondering if it's something that I'm familiar with by a different name or a sweep I don't know or what? I tried searching but got nothing.

For an example of the context it's used in look here:

http://www.bullshido.net/forums/show...37&postcount=2

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 10:20am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The hip bump sweep that I was taught is from closed guard you sit up into your opponent, then open your guard and sort of stand up into them, pushing them with your hips. At the same time you latch onto one of their arms like you're trying to get a Kimura. You use that arm with the pushing from your hips to drag them over onto their back. If they drive into you you drop back to full guard with the Kimura and try to finish them that way.

My descriptions aren't the best, but you should get the idea.

http://www.lockflow.com/article_view.php?id=1986 <--- Lockflow has the awesome, as usual.

Pingo

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 10:28am

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's also called the sit-up sweep. What Kintanon said, except I don't think the page he linked to on Lockflow isn't as good as this one:
    http://lockflow.com/article_view.php?id=1299

Also check out this vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rY5eGjpGxAk

The important part that the first link missed was that you need to bring your arm over, like you're going for a kimura, so you can trap his arm on the side you're sitting up. If you don't trap his arm, he can post out and push you back down. Also, bringing your arm over leaves your other arm free to push off the ground so you can sit up easier.

The hip bump sweep is one of the truly basic sweeps you should know from closed guard. If you don't know it, learn it immediately. Like, next class.
    Last edited by ViciousFlamingo; 11/16/2007 10:32am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 11:47am

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Aww damnit, I knew it as the sit up sweep, there was me thinking it might be some new exciting exotic basic move and it's actually one of my three favourite sweeps already :( NO new exciting shininess for me today.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 6:27pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I prefer a figure four grip as mentioned by the tkd guy, as long as you take away the opponent's ability to post you'll have success with this. It is probably the first sweep people have success with and one of the first that people learn to defend (by having a decent base and posture). Despite the initial drop in efficacy, I've of late had a lot of success with the sweep on very solid blues. A lot of it is of course set up.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 7:22pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by UpaLumpa
    While I prefer a figure four grip as mentioned by the tkd guy, as long as you take away the opponent's ability to post you'll have success with this. It is probably the first sweep people have success with and one of the first that people learn to defend (by having a decent base and posture). Despite the initial drop in efficacy, I've of late had a lot of success with the sweep on very solid blues. A lot of it is of course set up.
    Of the three sweeps I like this is the one it's not that common for me to get it in Judo, usually when I have someone in my guard they tend to drive in and try to pass as quickly as possible (Judo rules) so the first thing that goes out of the window then is posturing up, it's silly but true, I tend to have more success with scissor and really messy butterfly/push-leg-out/elevate/pretend thats a real technique before they realise sweeps.

The chance I tend to find for it comes when I fake a collar choke and they try to posture out of it, then they open up for the sweep. Not sure if anyone else has any experience applying this in Judo?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 7:34pm

Style: Crappling (BJJ Hiatus)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That is my fav sweep... I call it the Kimura sweep just to remember it easily. And you dont need to drop both feet, just the one on the offside of the arm you are sweeping/locking. If he leans against your sweep, fine, sit back with your figure four grip, throw that leg over his back and kimura that ****.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 7:57pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Good point. In fact keeping one leg up is better for the sweep too.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 7:59pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I classify this with my shamu pass as too stupidly simple to work as well as it does.

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 8:42pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Shamu pass? Do tell.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast