Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 6:54pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Hanmudo

I am starting this thread because I'm curious as to how the Korean style Hanmudo is viewed on this board. Part of the reason I'm curious is because I actually have a yellow belt in said style (haven't trained it in about 9 months, I do BJJ now). Anybody wanting more information can check out the world Hanmudo Associations website at www.hanmudo.com or my old school's website at www.deltamartialarts.com

霍氏八极拳徒弟

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 10:48pm

Style: CMA,Muay Thai ,Yudo,TKD

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Did you search on this? I thought there was a Hanmudo thread floating around a while
    back?

Edit: Did a quick search and found nothing but a few different threads where the name Hanmudo pops up at random, no real information.
    Last edited by Ronin.74; 11/15/2007 10:52pm at .

Here, hold these for me.

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 7:30am

Join us... or die
     Style: jkd concepts

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Depends on who you ask. all the kuksool guys I knew talked a lot of smack about him. That he was one of Suk Tool's highest ranking folks, then betrayed the Suh In-Hyuk.
    Hanmudo to me looks just like all the other hapkido/DRAJ derivatives.
    SEANBABY:
    "The seventh law of thermodynamics is that every time a fat person gets near a trapdoor, they fall in. Itís the closest thing we have to scientific proof of God."

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 10:42am

Style: TKD ITF, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 12:56pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Where did you find that video? Just watching it makes me want to tie my yellow belt around the waist and act all bad ass.
    When I was in Hanmudo, it was kind of strange, there were the regular classes, which were...let's just say sort of traditional, and leave it at that, but there were also the once a week sparring and grappling classes, which were pretty cool. I'm fairly certain it wouldn't stack up to training BJJ and kickboxing, but I learned a few things nontheless (Hands go up so don't get hit in face, how do armbar from guard, etc) but I was never sure if this was a part of the actual Hanmudo curriculum or I just lucked out with my instructor.
    (He owned every VHS tape Pride ever put out, and the last I heard was trying to join Carlos Machado's network and get instructor certification).
    Last edited by Vince Tortelli; 11/16/2007 12:58pm at . Reason: claritity

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 1:37pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hm, one of the better TKD knockoffs that I've seen.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 2:48pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I dunno..while the school in that video and my old school were okay (I know, I know, my school is t3h r34l, blah blah blah) I saw some pretty serious bullshido from some of the other places at tournaments, particularly in the self defense demonstration category. One thing that sticks in my mind was a brown belt guy with a long poney tail showing how, if someone grabbed him by the hair, he could use their momentum to throw them on their heads. And there was one school whose students claimed to be able to paralyze people with ki (I arm wrestled one of them. No paralysis occurred) Then there was a sparring referee (thankfully not in my division) that interrupted matches on every landed strike to throw a hissy fit about excessive contact. Seriously, every time contact was made he would jump in and start lecturing.
    But the cream of the cop has to be a gun defense demo I saw at a tournament, just grab the gun out of the other guys hand. That's it. Just grab it. (To be fair, one of the Hanmudo instructors judging that event was a Vietnam vet and former Ranger. He walked onto the mat, told the demonstrator he had just shown a remarkable way to get himself killed, and disqualified him from the event)

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2007 10:28pm

Style: Hapkido, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's my understanding that Hanmudo was founded by He Young Kimm to be a combination of TKD, Hapkido, and Yudo (Judo). From what I've seen of it, it looks pretty cool. However, it probably has some more "traditional" aspects that I wouldn't care for, such as learning forms.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/25/2007 10:30pm

Style: Hapkido, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince Tortelli
    To be fair, one of the Hanmudo instructors judging that event was a Vietnam vet and former Ranger. He walked onto the mat, told the demonstrator he had just shown a remarkable way to get himself killed, and disqualified him from the event)
    Did that person happen to be JR West? He's actually a Hapkido Grandmaster and close friend of Hanmudo founder, Dr. Kimm.

That sounds like something Master West would do. :)

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/26/2007 4:46pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I didn't catch the guys name...I was stretching to get ready for the sparring when I noticed my instructor (Bobby Moore) laughing and shaking his head. I then walked over and witnessed the gun grab. This all happened at the big Hanmudo tournament they had at Co Linn College, with Dr. Kimm in attendance, so it is very likely that it was Mr. West.
Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast