Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 12:45am

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by airman kai
    How am I supposed to expose BS when the BSers run scared? Is it to the point where I have to go stealth? I mean, seriously, is dishonesty the ony way to get into their school?
    It is not a lie to keep the whole truth to oneself.

There is a reason why, when someone testifies under oath, they are not just sworn to tell the truth. They have to swear to tell the whole truth, and nothing but the truth, too. But in these situations, you are not even close to being under oath. The only things guiding you are the information you are after, your morals, and your personal word as a man.

While you don't "represent" Bullshido in the first place, you could have just as easily said you are a budding freelance internet journalist trying to write a story on the Martial Art schools in the area. This is still essentially the truth. But regardless of what you say, you don't have to be in anyway dishonest in pursuit of a "story". It's just you don't also have to necessarily show your "hole cards" from the get go, either. To extend the analogy a little further, it stands to reason you could also bluff on occasion without being dishonest about it.
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 1:29am

Style: Inept BJJer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I was surprised to see you told them you were going to review them; I'm not surprised they refused. Why did you feel the need to tell them?

AK: Giving new meaning to the word "Unfair."

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 8:09am

Style: Out-Of-Shape MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by aaaargh
    I was surprised to see you told them you were going to review them; I'm not surprised they refused. Why did you feel the need to tell them?
    Well, I thought it might be best, seeing as THIS review went terribly awry after it was posted.

I'll just keep it to myself from here on in. I was a little gunshy since last time, I guess. Oh well, now I know what I need to do in the future.

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 8:42am

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by airman kai
    Well, I thought it might be best, seeing as THIS review went terribly awry after it was posted.

I'll just keep it to myself from here on in. I was a little gunshy since last time, I guess. Oh well, now I know what I need to do in the future.
    I figured it was because of that interview.

It had all to do with your writing style and zero to do with you informing the instructor.

You got caught up in the remarks and some of them made you feel guilty. Maybe you should have toned the review down but, you never let them know why you are going in. I actually disagree with Tom on that point. I wouldn't tell them anything except, you want to try a class. Anything you say may change how they actually teach. I mean the only way to get a 100% honest review is to attend classes for a month IMO. Unless you review a school that has a pay as you go style, the introductory class is fluff in many TMA schools.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 9:01am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    First off settle down we'll GIVE you your black belt in XMA. You want that with a metallic silver gi or black pleather?

The suggestion of "just showing up" is probably the best. Lots of people just drop by to check out classes when they finally get the nerve up to try it: You can't schedule an appointment for courage.

It's not a "lie" or "deceitful" if you answer honestly in short answers. Nobody is expecting a full exposition just simple answers. Why are you here or What are you doing?
    "Checking it out"
    "Seeing what's up"
    "Seeing what you do/got/train."
    "I've driven by and always wanted to stop."

When asked if you're thinking of joining or what do you think so far?
    "I dunno"
    "Not sure yet."
    "Wow. It's all so different."

Not one answer dishonest, just not fully revealing your inner turmoil. Every answer is open to the interpretation of the recipient, they can make what they wish out of it.

Treat the school owner like the father of your date. You don't tell him your planning on trying to **** his daughter that night but if the possibility presents itself...

You don't tell the school owner your planning on writing a review, you merely want to see what is offered but if the possibility presents itself......

oh, and wear a rubber for both.

AK: Giving new meaning to the word "Unfair."

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 9:14am

Style: Out-Of-Shape MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yah, I pretty much blew this one. :dontknow: Just got to move on to the next McDojo.

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 10:30am

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    My vote is that you still go to the school.

But you should wear one of those hidden cams in your gi so we can watch the hilarity of the class. And I wouldn't worry about it being damaged, it's not like they're going to spar.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 12:15pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I don't think you'll be able to review these folks right now, but luckily you have a plethora of options according to your previous thread. After going through one or more of them, you may be able to revisit this one.

Quote Originally Posted by aardvarks
    Treat the school owner like the father of your date. You don't tell him your planning on trying to **** his daughter that night but if the possibility presents itself...
    Rofl.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Dark Overlord of the Bullshido Underworld

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 1:57pm

supporting member
     Style: Taai Si Ji Kung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by It is Fake
    I actually disagree with Tom on that point. I wouldn't tell them anything except, you want to try a class.
    We are not in disagreement. Saying he wishes to try a class is also the truth.

:smile:
    Calm down, it's only ones and zeros.

"Your calm and professional manner of response is really draining all the fun out of this. Can you reply more like Dr. Fagbot or something? Call me some names, mention some sand in my vagina or something of the sort. You can't expect me to come up with reasonable arguments man!" -- MaverickZ

"Tom Kagan spins in his grave and the fucking guy isn't even dead yet." -- Snake Plissken

My Bullshido fan club threads:
    Tom Kagan's a big hairy...
    Tom Kagan can lick my BALLS
    Tom Kagan teaches _ing __un and bigotry?
    Tom Kagan: Serious discussion here
    Lamokio asks the burning question is Tom Kagan a ***** or just cruising for some
    I'm Dave the gay Kickboxer from Manchester and I have the hots for Tom Kagan
    TOM KAGAN, OPEN ME, THE MKT ARE COMING FOR YOU ! ARE YOU MAN ENOUGH TO MEET ?
    ATTN TOM KAGAN
    World Dominator 'Kagan' in plot to lie about real Kung Fu and Martial Arts
    Tom Kagan just gave me my third negative rep in a day
    I am infatuated with Tom Kagan
    Tom Kagan is a fat balding white guy.

When I Get Back

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 2:16pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by partyboy
    My vote is that you still go to the school.

But you should wear one of those hidden cams in your gi so we can watch the hilarity of the class. And I wouldn't worry about it being damaged, it's not like they're going to spar.
    yeah, because there is no shortage of 7ft tall cats wandering around.

Kai, you still had three other schools on that last, buck up, put on your XMA blackbelt and get to it!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 123 45 LastLast