Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Sexiest Punching Bag Alive

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 4:24pm

Style: BJJ/Judo/Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Personally, I think telling someone you are doing a review can sometimes cause them to act out of the normal. I'm not too sure it is a good idea to tell them there is a review. For example, I am a teacher at a community college. I know that when you have someone sitting in your class to review you that you change the way you do things. You prepare more, you give your students warning before hand, you dress nicer, and you go out of your way to look good. Some colleges are actually recording every class because of this issue.

Maybe you should just act interested, go visit and train, then ask permission to post a review?
    "a martial art that has no rules is nothing but violence" - Kenji Tomiki

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 4:26pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I hate what queer eye for the stright guy has done to our country
    1. Black uniforms are required for adult class.
    2. White uniforms are required for kids classes.
    3. Advanced youth may wear black gi pants.
    4. Uniforms must be clean and pressed.
    5. T-shirt or sports bra may be worn under the uniform. T-shirt or sports bra must match uniform or color of current belt.
    6. Black belt students may wear black, white or a combination of black, red and white.
    Out side of comps, my judo instructor doesn't care what kind of gi you wear. We all wear plain, non-pimped white gis becasue no one wants to look like an ass. On the other hand in bjj we have all sorts of chaos going on. But in both sides, none of it is done because of rules.

These are the kinds of issues that having a fair review can bring to the forefront. An owner can come on and at least comment on why these things are done. Now when people google his page...guess what is going tocome up?..We see this more and more

In order to increase the ranking. Florida,Florida,Florida,Florida.Wado Ryu. Judo.Martial Arts.
    Last edited by cyrijl; 11/15/2007 4:29pm at .

Administrator

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 4:40pm

staff
     Style: xingyi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dsimon3387
    You raise a very important issue. Make no mistake about it either, it will come to this issue time and time again if allowed to do so, under an assumption that somoene who desires to post information about a school, must be transparent about it.

I can only tell you that as somoene whom has taught Ethics and otherwise has an interest in these types of questions..... I don't see any reason why you as a prospective student has to be transparent. Before I continue, it is worth mentioning that that this similar issue was broached on another thread involving a teacher making claims.

1) What if this guy is a really good teacher? That is theoretically as much a possability as the other

2) You are a consumer, you have a right to share information. People go to restaurants and post bad reviews on the web all the time, is this immoral? So I can complain about the service at Chevy's but I can't at the MA school next door?

3) Your disclosure queers the deal!!! Its what you ran into in this situation. You are better served operating without giving your purpose away, thats what secret shoppers are for as well.

4) Ethically you serve a higher purpose. It is not about you it is about consumers who might sign a contract, or get injured, or learn something which gives him/her a false sense of security. This gives you certain privaleges.

5) as a form of media the internet is an open loop. Martial arts teachers can respond to critiscism rendered. They are just as strong a voice as anybody on a forum provided they provide information that supports a conclusion, and are not simply trying to find a way to peddle something that is not what it should be.

What right is given to Fakirs and other pretenders? Harry Houdini was allowed to expose these types with any means necessary for Scientific America.... why do they deserve any more consideration than any other market for goods and services?

Martial arts is one of those types of affairs where people are allowed to sneak under the radar and there is no ethical of logical reason for this allowance. You charge a price you deserve to be evaluated... period!! Otherwise don't teach commercially.
    As much as we disagree this sums up my feelings as well.
    Also FP, I don't feel you need permission to post a review.

I think you should provide a link to your review when you post. I agree with the rest of your post. I've seen it happened, been part of it, and did it when I taught.
    Last edited by It is Fake; 11/15/2007 4:43pm at .

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 4:41pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't tell a restaurant you are doing a review of their food.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 4:41pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I agree with the posters above in that you shouldn't let them know beforehand that you're planning on doing a review because it can affect how they act.

You don't have to lie, just don't advertise the fact. You also don't have to ask permission afterwards to post about it, you are a consumer giving his opinion on a service, and they are welcome to come here and attempt to refute any points you make.

PS. Florida,Chi,Wacko
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 4:46pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes I vote go in anyway. Think of it as being a secret shopper (which I do on occasion oddly enough), except you are doing it for free!. We get the review and they get some real feedback that they can use. Its up to them what they do with it. I think the word internet just threw them off, if you had been part of a magazine they wouldnt of thought twice.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 4:47pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I think he missed his window. If some guy walks in there now all interested, they will figure it out. If he had a little kid he could take with him....that might work.

www.dragondojo.com/

Hoo Ha!

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 4:54pm

supporting member
     Style: San Da, Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Find a child!, or pay a bum a tenner or something. Or failing that go in when you know some other new people are starting.

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 12:14am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm . . . does this master even know what you look like? You didn't mention anything about Jolly Green Giants, did you?

BJJ wins again!

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 12:19am

supporting member
     Style: Guns

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    At least you can still do the home study wellness program:

http://waycenter.com/homewellnesspro.htm
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12 345 LastLast