Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Yes, I am smarter than you are.

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 12:14pm

supporting memberstaff
     Style: TKD, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    HIIT rowing is pretty easy to stick to, if you have access to a rowing machine give that a try. It also happens to tie in with your pullup desire as it works a lot of the same muscles.

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 1:28pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Ok.... so, review.

10 minutes warm up. Then one minute sprint, then none minute at a comfortable pace. Sprinting should be as fast as possible yes? Plan on 4-5 intervals initially so 20 minutes all told. Any idea the strokes-per-minute I should be aiming for?

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 1:48pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You probably have the muscle to do a pullup, so I wouldn't worry about building further muscle strength as much as I would losing more weight.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 2:16pm

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by ignatzami
    Sorry for the confusion, it's 2 sets of ten reps. I wait ~20 seconds between the sets.

I've looked into HIIT but I have a hard time gauging intensity. I tried doing a HIIT running workout before I was told not to. I'll keep digging, see if I can find something that works.
    A better protocol would be sets with the following number of reps... me think: 12, 10, 8, 6, 8. Later on, you can switch to this: 12, 10, 8, 6, 4, 6, 8. Give yourself a minute rest between sets (you'll need it when you reach the 4-rep set.)

Also, you should consider doing seated v-handle rows in addition to (or instead of) pull downs (using the same rep/set protocol mentioned above) as well as barbell rows and supine (incline) rows every once in a while.

One single exercise won't help because "pulling" is not just one single movement. Pulling involves the lats, but also the middle and lower traps. Depending on how you pull, you may end up recruiting the the scapula and/or the shoulder for scapular adduction, shoulder traverse extension, shoulder extension and/or shoulder adduction. A single exercise won't do (certainly not with just two 10-rep sets.)

However, if you are ever pressed with time, and you need to use one exercise only, then chose barbell rows (a compound exercise) over an machine isolation exercise such as pull downs.

Doing the same exercise (in this case, pull downs) using a minimal 2x10 set/rep won't do much for your lats, for any muscle. That could only count as a warm up, and you are not hitting the lats hard enough for them to adapt and become stronger.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

l Travel To Get Choked!

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 4:30pm

Style: Judo, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Thanks Macho, any sites/books/reading you would recommend? You seem knowledgeable and as I currently have no access to a trainer I'm more on my own. Currently I can't train due to money and time constraints but I have access to a really nice weight room. So where would you suggest I start looking to build a good routine?

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 4:40pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The www.exrx.net website is a good source of info, and there is a book called "Starting Strenght" that you should look into as well. You should also get Ross Enamait's books "Never Gymless" and "Infinite Intensity".

At least when it comes to pull ups, the exercises mentioned here and the sample rep/set above should provide a good start for upper body "pulling" strenght. Check the stickies when you get the chance.

Also, look for "Westside Barbell" methods of training. In particular, since you are starting you should look for a program called "Westside Barbell for Skinny Bastards".

http://www.defrancostraining.com/art...s_westside.htm

At the end of the day, this may not be the best routine, but what's important is to provide you with a start. From there, and after a while, you will be modifying it as your body adapts to it.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 9:50pm

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A another very good exercise for building pull up strength is band assisted pull ups. This is basically where you have a band attached to the pull up bar and then put over your knees to lessen the load you experience. This is also good because it matchs the strength curve by providing the most asistance at the bottom of the movement. I sometimes use them when going for higher reps on the pull up as i can only manage about 10-12.

If you are looking for training infomation www.elitefts.com is one of the best rescources around. Joe DeFrancos sight is also a wealth of infomation, El Macho has already provided a link.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 12:06am

Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    Also, you should consider doing seated v-handle rows in addition to (or instead of) pull downs (using the same rep/set protocol mentioned above) as well as barbell rows and supine (incline) rows every once in a while.
    This actually leads me to a question. As I mentioned earlier, I was taught (and prefer) to do bent-over barbell rows with one of those wavy barbells (I don't know what they're called). In the case of bent-over rows, does it actually make any difference?

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 1:38am

Style: Wrestling, MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Those bars are known as EZ bar. I have never heard of BORs done with an EZ bar nore have I ever seen one done. To answer your question it would have alot to do with how you place your hands on the bar. If you place them on the flat part at the ends I would imagine there would be almost no difference but if you placed your hands on the 'wavy' part then your hand positioning could be comprimising. This is just based on my own thoughts so could easily be wrong.

If you have access to a barbell why not just use that?

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 10:35am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    ^^^ what he said. EZ barbells are more for bicep curls and tricep extensions and only when your wrists or forearms are giving you problems. The wavy things are for you to accomodate for a better, more comfortable grip.

I don't see how an EZ bar can make a difference for barbell rows. At least for me, the position of my hands is in such a way that they are placed on the straight par of the EZ bar, making it the same as a regular barbell.

They are good to accomodate somone who is not strong enough to use a larger, 35-45lbs barbell, but that's about it.

EZ bars are fine and dandy when you have an injury, but, now that I look back, I think it's a mistake to start training biceps and triceps with those (or at least, to train exclusively with them). The wavy things mask inflexibility problems with the wrists. So, pple use them to get around that instead of improving their wrist flexibility.

When people first use the straight bar and they feel pain in their wrists, they think they are injuring themselves or that have an injury. Then they switch to the EZ bars and increase the load, further aggravating the inflexibility. What they need to do is use the straight bar and use a smaller load and work on their wrist flexibility.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast