Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Featherweight

Posted On:
    8/10/2010 2:24pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Muay Thai

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've had a few epiphanies that really helped me out with my BJJ game. First and biggest being:

1) IT'S OK TO CAUSE YOUR OPPONENT TO HAVE PHYSICAL DISCOMFORT. Maybe I'm just a bleeding heart, or maybe I'm in that "Do unto others" mentality, but then I realized that everyone at the gym is there of their own choice fully expecting to receive bruises and minor injuries. It was really compacted when I was rolling with a marine guy named Nate. He was discussing with me momentarily distracting your opponent with pain as putting your elbow on his stomach and pressing down when you were caught in guard. He said "It ain't gunna do anything submission-wise, but it's annoying as ****, and it forces you to deal with the problem at hand, so that you can take advantage of that opening " Then it all clicked.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/11/2010 2:56am

Style: BJJ, TKD, Lifting+Cardio

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It's not the technique that sucks. It's me. Gotta shut up and drill.

(obvious exceptions are obvious)

Lightweight

Posted On:
    1/01/2011 8:37pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    "Position before submission" doesn't only mean "control the position before attempting the submission", it means controlling the position until the moment of submission, including the set-up and execution of the hold, eg: shutting down the armbar escapes before fully committing to the armbar and losing the mount.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/02/2011 8:04am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Striking/Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    You don't have to be a 'southpaw' or a 'jiujitsuka' or an 'infighter', you can combine them with an orthodox stance, unconventional graplling and outboxing respectively. It's not a video game, you're not stuck with a single specialization.

Using Donkey Guard to Sniffz Your Feetz

Posted On:
    1/03/2011 12:45am

Style: Kick Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Um.... when figured out I wasn't in all that much trouble to begin with. As in not panicing when a guy passes my guard. Not panicing when a guy has side mount on my. Not panicing when a guy mounts me.

When I figured out drilling sweep chains actually pays off.

Numero uno is when I figured out tha the gym isn't the place to play macho. My career is over because I didn't tap to a kneebar.

Oh, and hips basically set it all up.
    Amateur MMA record: 8-3-1
    Pro MMA record: 3-1

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/07/2011 4:09am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Sometimes when I'm in the juji gatame endgame, with my opponent stalling it out, it can be useful to cross my legs for certain purposes... but wait this relieves the pressure on my victim's head.... wait what if I make sure the leg over the head is the bottom leg... then I keep up the pressure on his head!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/08/2011 10:30pm

Style: Internet Warrior, BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I have a good left tai otoshi but can't do it from an 'orthodox' grip.

then it hit me: your weight needs to be on the non tripping foot.. holy crap. when i do it left i pivot on my non-tripping foot, and so i keep the weight on it as i pivot. but when i do it right, my pivot foot is usually the tripping foot, so that means i have to transfer the weight to the other leg after i pivot and plant!

Titanium laced beauty

Posted On:
    1/24/2011 12:45am

supporting memberforum leaderstaff
     Style: BJJ, wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    1/29/2011 6:26am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm finding that teaching/demonstrating a position or technique to others often makes me look at it in a new way. The process of articulating it seems to reveal more detail and tighten my technique.

I don't think that this applies in the early days, but once you've been training a while I think a lot of people would get a benefit from this.

Posted On:
    1/29/2011 11:09am

Join us... or die
     Style: Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by v1y View Post
    I have a good left tai otoshi but can't do it from an 'orthodox' grip.

then it hit me: your weight needs to be on the non tripping foot.. holy crap. when i do it left i pivot on my non-tripping foot, and so i keep the weight on it as i pivot. but when i do it right, my pivot foot is usually the tripping foot, so that means i have to transfer the weight to the other leg after i pivot and plant!
    If by non tripping foot you mean the leg that's not outstretched, you shouldn't trip in Tai otoshi anyway as its a tewaza. Then I'm afraid your epiphany though it maybe a revelation is an incorrect one.

At an absolute minimum your weight should be evenly distributed between your two legs:

And ideally the majority of your weight should be on the outstretched leg:

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 1011 LastLast