Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    8/21/2008 6:38am

Style: MMA, Yoga

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A striking one (sorry guys):

I finally realised last week that you don't have to start the combos you know from the first punch. As in, you are out of range and think 'i'll try a jab, straight, lead hook, rear kick, switch knee combo'. If you see an opening for a lead hook you can flow through the rest of that combo or any of the others with a lead hook in them. Really simple thing but it is already changing the way i spar.

I also find it interesting that i think i have a hell of a lot of errors to fix now than i thought i had 2-3 months back. I thought i had 5 main things to fix back then, now my list is at 50+, kind of depressing to know how little i actually know.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    8/21/2008 10:41am

Style: Wrestling, BJJ, Kickboxin

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A point on striking that was never explained to me in over two years of kick boxing:
    Never circle towards his rear hand. Id been doing this and wondering why I kept walking into peoples crosses. My fighting reached a whole new level the day I worked that out.

And for grappling:
    This was aaaaaggggeesss ago, but a rough guide that I would use when I hadn't been in a particular situation: If your attacking, keep things tight. If your defending, you wanna create space.

Posted On:
    8/21/2008 11:35am

Join us... or die
     Style: 剛 and 柔

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Godhand
    And for grappling:
    This was aaaaaggggeesss ago, but a rough guide that I would use when I hadn't been in a particular situation: If your attacking, keep things tight. If your defending, you wanna create space.
    My throws, holds, transitions and subs got an order of magnitude better when one of my instructors told me, "Judo is about eliminating the space between you and your opponent." I had that epiphany too! :qgreenjum

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/17/2009 3:53pm

Style: BJJ, JJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been a lazy **** and have only been training once a week for the past 3 weeks after a break. In these three sessions I have had 2 obvious epiphanies, only to forget them each time, giving me a third epiphany:

1) Randori is not a dick measuring contest, it does not kill you if you let someone throw you even if you think you are better than they are.
    2) If you are going against someone worse than you at something, say newaza; you play your weak game. If for example you are a 17 year old with 2 years of on and off BJJ under his belt and a fetish for youtube instructionals on guard and you are playing against just turned 16 year olds with 5 years of top game and practically no guard whatsoever, play your top game instead of spider guard.
    3) Write obvious epiphanies and notes down after training, then read them before you next train, and repeat them out loud so you don't forget. Again.

EDIT: also, this thread should be stickied.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/23/2009 3:04pm

Style: Baboo Baby

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just had one hit me this Saturday. If you're injured and training, and everyone in training knows you have an injury and leaves it alone, you'll stop getting practice defending it.

Yeah, my neck was screwed, I told everyone before rolling, so nobody went after my neck. I had a tournament. First match, I got kimuraed, I was defending the kimura fine and then he got his elbow into my neck and my neck was hurting more than my arm (rather makes sense this would work, as the entangled americana from scarf hold gets tightened by pulling on the neck). Second match was a standing guillotine. I heard my neck pop four times and tapped even though I didn't feel any pain yet.

No more competitions for me unless I'm in top shape.

Lightweight

Posted On:
    9/10/2009 7:56am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Not just a BJJ-limited epiphany but:

Don't waste time thinking "Oh ****, he {passed my guard, sprawled on my shot, escaped my armbar, etc}, ****!", just escape.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    9/10/2009 2:53pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ, Judo noob

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Here are a some I have had:

If an opponent is locking one part of your body, this means there is another part that is free to move. Learn to use this to your advantage.

It is better to control your opponent with your hips than with your grips.

Everyone has something to offer. Work with higher belts to improve your defense, lower belts to improve your offense.

Exasperated.

Posted On:
    9/10/2009 4:57pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by J-Lau View Post
    Always mash the head... in every position... at anytime... for any technique.
    Funny this popped back on my subscription list. I found out recently that I mash and grind people's heads a lot. One guy asked me to show him how I did "it" even to people in my guard. I asked what "it" was. He said "be mean", this led to an Abbot and Costello exchange since I had no idea what he meant.

Stillness is death

Posted On:
    9/11/2009 9:24am

Business Class Supporting Member
     NY Combat Sambo Style: combat sambo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by gzk View Post
    Not just a BJJ-limited epiphany but:

Don't waste time thinking "Oh ****, he {passed my guard, sprawled on my shot, escaped my armbar, etc}, ****!", just escape.
    I would take this even further. I challenge my guys to always think of themselves as on the offensive, even if they are in what some may consider a bad or losing situation. It is a mental game. If people think, as you mentioned, "oh ****, he passed my guard" or "damn, he threw my ass", etc, they will already consider themselves on the short and of the stick...losing.

My last trip to Russia, really drove this home. My coach insisted on the fact that in your mind, you are always attacking, pressing forward...from top, bottom, whatever...regardless. It is a mental thing. Always seeing yourself as the aggressor and attacker, not as a defender or perosn who is losing.

For example, I have gotten in the habbit of calling the half guard position "half mount" when I am on top. In my mind it simply sounds better, more dominant.
    One of the best Bullshido investigations ever written: http://www.bullshido.org/David_Kujawski_Investigation

"disgruntled ex student who couldn't hack training with Dave and his material and opted out (could be called pussied out) of training to go to Sambo" - Mor Sao

Posted On:
    9/11/2009 10:43am

Style: BJJ/MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    this sounds ridiculous.

but always maintain attachment with both arms AND legs. if you have hooks, get a wrist or an under/over, if you have an under/over, make sure your knee is in the hip.

so on and so forth.

using the whole body at all times basically.
Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 891011 LastLast