Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 1:25am

Style: No gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    using your head as a third arm.

my instructor repeated that all the time, but i always had trouble hitting my doubles.

one day i got a double, looked up and to my right and it was curtains for the other guy.

now my neck is pretty strong and my ears are getting ugly...

Welterweight

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 1:41am

supporting member
     Style: BJJ/Kickboxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I find that that applies for guard passing as well. Using the head as an arm and posting on the opponent's stomach frees up an arm which would otherwise be used to control their posture.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 11:48am

Style: No gi BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    so true, and also in the stand up phase, if you can use your head right you can keep yourself on angle and force your opponent to look away from you.

OFFICIAL Mayor of Cwcville

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 12:42pm

supporting member
     Style: Electricity, Speed

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Some days you're just off.

Training's been pretty lame as of late. I took an inconsistent month off due to, in order: illness, trip, injury, illness. Yet in spite of this Dickensian mountain of adversity, upon returning to class I was rolling for hours without even considering getting winded.

About a week later the gym closed for Christmas and New Years, forcing me to take a week off. When I returned, I was wretched. I became winded after half a round of guard passing. I tapped to a 250-pound amateur MMA fighter's side control. And Aaron Boyd doesn't tap to side control.

Everyone has on days and off days, but the pronounced variance between returning from a month off and returning from a week off really drove home how arbitrary cardio and mindset can be sometimes, regardless of how you feel coming into class.
    Captain's Log: Just a little update for all my TRUE and HONEST friends out there:

1) I am STRAIGHT! I am STRAIGHT! Get it through your thick skulls, numbskulls!

2) My name is not Ian Brandon Something.

3) Kacey is coming with me now. I have stolen her from the other Christian Weston Chandler.

REMINDER: I am still the one and only true creator of sonichu and rosechu electric hedgehog pokemon

I am a Ninja bitches!! Deal with it

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 12:46pm

Join us... or die
     Style: Improv comedy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Diet is often ignore when it comes to cardio. A week of eating and drinking the wrong things can take it out of you quickly.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    1/04/2008 10:57pm

Style: BJJ, Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Another thing that I've realized lately is position before submission. I know its INCREDIBLY obvious but it seems to explain alot of my short-comings.

I find myself rushing to pass guard, and barely even noticing side control, just attempting to go straight to mount for a rushed armbar. I think I really have to slow down and control the position and situation for a while before I rush to the next stage.

Also, different mindsets when wrestling with different people. If i spar with my coach, I go in there trying to survive, however if I grapple with someone who I consider to be worse than me, I don't try hard enough which gets me into alot of trouble. Really embarrasing trouble. Like being choked out by a kung fu boy.

:angry1:

I Ducked Out on a Gong Sau

Posted On:
    7/16/2008 8:40pm

Style: Gentleman Adventurer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Its like:

Keep your weight on your toes- this is supposed to be something that is ingrained into your psyche, but it just wasn't on mine. Hell, this is basically a tenet of aikido which I remember but of course ,y dojo never really stressed so I developed the shittiest habbit: I was flatfooted. Hence none of my hip throws in judo ever worked, to such an extent that the only throw I could half get were back throws. Fast forward one year to like a week ago, and my coaches and partners were like why do you move so stiff? And I said, I don't know man I suck. But then I realized I don't suck. I'm just doing something wrong.

So then I went back to basics and someone showed me that my weight was supposed to be on my toes, not my heels. Now I'm throwing guys twice my size and its feeling fun.

Also: aggresiveness - I am coming to rolling with the mindset of mutual benefit. By mutual benefit it doesn't mean "go easy on your partners so he can learn". It means "roll to win so you two can improve from mutual sucesses and mistakes, but keep your partners safety in utmost consideration".

Now every throw is "this is my grip, not yours" and "I'm having my way your not having yours.' Newaza is "this is called spider guard, suck it" and "when I sweep you, your getting airtime man"

That did wonders for my game in general and now I get "that guy is getting pretty good" instead of being a matflower.

I Ducked Out on a Gong Sau

Posted On:
    7/16/2008 8:43pm

Style: Gentleman Adventurer

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Right before sparring: "BIG MAN BIG MAN! LETS HUMP **** UP!"

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/18/2008 1:59am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ/Judo - Crappler!

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    MY epiphany has been position before submission. i used to like playing guard, and i was pretty good at getting people in trouble with my flexible lizard legs. But then everyone started to adapt, so i worked on sweeps and taking the back.

Now i like to be in the guard and trying to pass, and as a result my side control has just gotten 100times better and more secure. I am now working on north south, and my subs from there.

Another thing is my grips. I cant seem to get them right! if anyone has a video or a site they can recommend me for grips i would truly appreciate it!

Featherweight

Posted On:
    7/19/2008 12:57pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've only been doing BJJ for a few months but:

Let my opponent do the work.

In my first few classes I went all out. I'm quite confident in my physical abilities, and so I threw all my energy and size into grappling with a guy my own experience level, although he was bigger than me. And wow, thats pretty darn tiring. And whats even more tiring? When someone is in side control and is resting all their weight on my chest. Then not only am I tired, but I can't recover because I can't even breathe properly. Now I'm all about it, always laying my weight on my opponent as much as possible. If I'm tired, I can get into a position where I can expend little energy to keep my opponent still. Allowing me to rest, while he has to expend a lot of energy to improve his position.

I've really noticed this helps when wrestling with my friends. I'm not yet good enough to sub them, but they become totally exhausted after a few minutes against me, while I am hardly breathing hard.
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast