Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/23/2007 9:39pm

supporting member
     Style: Snatch Wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Position Before Submission/Top Position Is Just Plain Better:

I had this epiphany after pulling guard as I liked to do in class, only this wasn't class, it was a fight, and the guy just beat the fucking **** out of me. He didn't have any training in grappling, and I'm sure I COULD pull guard on the same guy now and submit him with ease, but he learned just by fighting with me a bunch of times, by trial and error, how to posture properly in guard.

There was no greater reinforcement for the idea my instructors were trying to implant that position was important, top position was important, and takedowns were really important than a fist crashing into my face until it was bruised and bloody. I had to learn the hard way, but it was a good lesson to learn.

Oh, and just so you guys know, I still get kimuras and keylocks from the bottom of sidemount once in awhile, muahahahahaha!

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 6:56pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    Position Before Submission/Top Position Is Just Plain Better:

I had this epiphany after pulling guard as I liked to do in class, only this wasn't class, it was a fight, and the guy just beat the fucking **** out of me. He didn't have any training in grappling, and I'm sure I COULD pull guard on the same guy now and submit him with ease, but he learned just by fighting with me a bunch of times, by trial and error, how to posture properly in guard.

There was no greater reinforcement for the idea my instructors were trying to implant that position was important, top position was important, and takedowns were really important than a fist crashing into my face until it was bruised and bloody. I had to learn the hard way, but it was a good lesson to learn.

Oh, and just so you guys know, I still get kimuras and keylocks from the bottom of sidemount once in awhile, muahahahahaha!
    So you pulled guard and the guy just punched you the face, is that it? Did you just stand there with him on guard? Did you try to unbalance him and sweep him? Were you a noob? I would like to hear details if you dont mind!

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 8:21pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yes, I was a noob.

I tried variously to armbar, scissor sweep, elevator, take his back, stand back up, hit him back, turtle, etc, all of which ended in me getting punched in the face and planted on the mat. It was many moons/drugs ago and my memory of the event is a little fuzzy, but two things stand out for me:

-I tried everything I knew from the position

-It really, really sucked

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/24/2007 10:17pm

Style: BJJ(blue)

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I guess that's one of those situations that makes you wanna drop training alltogether, right? But for some it's the complete oposite, they wanna learn more so they can kick ass and payback with interest!

I have two friends on both situations...one got owned after two months of training and returned with a bang, braking **** everywhere...the other got owned after 3 months and never went back to training...it's the mindset I guess!

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/25/2007 2:44am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    It didn't make me want to stop, it was a reality check. I no longer had to WONDER why my instructors told me top position was important in MMA.

Posted On:
    11/25/2007 10:10am

Style: ti da shuai na

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'm sufficiently n00btastic that every BJJ class features obvious epiphanies. My most recent one, which revolutionized my bottom game immediately, came via a conversation with my coach about playing guard. He re-iterated a general principle of fighting that has served me well, but which I had not applied to guard: defending is losing. Ding! Light bulb over the head...
    “Most people do not do, but take refuge in theory and talk, thinking that they will become good in this way” -- Aristotle, Nicomachean Ethics, II.4

MADE OF STEEL!

Posted On:
    11/25/2007 12:50pm

supporting member
     Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    The epiphany I'm currently undergoing is "If I keep going for low-percentage submissions, I will tap people out less."
    It's a shame, really. Because gogoplatas and kneebars are just so much fun. Sadly, they tend to work a lot less than triangles and keylocks.

Injury Waiting To Happen

Posted On:
    11/25/2007 8:10pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    That's one thing I've come back to lately (in the last 3 months), keylocks. They just work. Who gives a **** about fanciness.

Posted On:
    11/26/2007 6:31pm

Style: Shootfighting

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cracky McSlugHoot
    Yes, I was a noob.

I tried variously to armbar, scissor sweep, elevator, take his back, stand back up, hit him back, turtle, etc, all of which ended in me getting punched in the face and planted on the mat. It was many moons/drugs ago and my memory of the event is a little fuzzy, but two things stand out for me:

-I tried everything I knew from the position

-It really, really sucked
    Funny how you mention all that and forget breaking posture.

Posted On:
    11/26/2007 7:02pm

Style: Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by rino86
    I blinding flash of white belt intuition I had about 4 months ago:

"I am physically weaker and lighter than most of my opponents and it is a bitch to submit them with joint locks... what can I attack more successfully... the neck is pretty weak... I should choke people...but how will I choke them? I would need some kind of noose or fabric to wrap around...OH MY GOD"

it seems so stupid but I never really did any gi chokes before that and now its what I'm always attacking.
    Pretty much the same.

"All these big guys are hard to armbar, and my keylock isn't much more effective against them. Wait, what are these carotid artery thingies doing hanging out all exposed-like against the side of the neck? Oh wow! When I put my arm against them, people tap, even the big ones!"

Another was when I realized I had actual chest/triceps strength. That was a little bit important in figuring out my style of grappling.

I don't know, I've been doing MAs and wrasslin' since I was a wane, I think a lot of the really obvious ones (placement of body weight, hip control, aggressive>passive) I picked up on a while ago.
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast