Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Posted On:
    11/14/2007 1:41pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: MMA/mainly no gi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Dungeon MMA in Kingston, ON

There's a new gym that appears to be opening here in Kingston, although at the moment the extent of it seems to be a facebook page and a basic intro page on a website. Nothing wrong with that, it's great to see expanding interest in the sport, and Kingston's a fairly big city.

However, the owner of this prospective gym, Ryan Fitzgerald is claiming a blackbelt in BJJ. In 6 years. And his last name is not Penn. There's only a handful of BBs in Canada, and a bunch of them are Brazilian at that, so it was quite a surprise to see a 27 year old make this claim.

He says that he's trained at Bisset Academy in Calgary, then Gracie Barra Calgary under Josh Russel ( who is a very legit BB), then Fredericton BJJ. If he is being less than truthful about his BB, dropping names like that is definitely not cool.

The gym is fairly pricey for the area, if his BB is in Japanes JJ. The other experience he is claiming is somewhat lacking for a head coach, given the proven record of other trainers in the area, and the competition record is amateur, and pretty much impossible to verify.

The black belt is the only thing that I have a problem with here. Anyone can open up a gym and charge whatever they want for it, buyer beware. Their effectiveness as an instructor cannot be faked, but the BB is more or less a professional designation in this sport. If he is legit, awesome, but I have my suspicions, as he hasn't responded to other inquiries about his experience.

So I leave it to you guys here to take a look into this, there's already skepticism on the facebook page, but bullshido seems to have a way of moving things along rapidly...

Facebook:
    http://www.facebook.com/wall.php?id=6192001947

http://dungeonmma.ca/

Posted On:
    11/14/2007 2:57pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    From the looks of their pictures....

Perhaps.

But still, not to be confused with the guys down in Cape Cod, they're also called Dungeon MMA.

And I might add, the real deal.

The Bottom Brick

Posted On:
    11/14/2007 6:47pm

Style: BJJ, Ju-Jitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Read his threads, sounds like he is a traditional JJ Black Belt.

When they open, I volunteer to stop by and ask to see certificates.
    "Sifu, I"m niether - I'm a fire dragon so don't **** with me!"

Posted On:
    11/14/2007 7:09pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    He specifically says BJJ (blackbelt), and hasn't answered repeatedly requests for clarification. I think you're correct, and he has a BB in JJJ.

But he has deleted a second post for clarification which was asked this afternoon.

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 12:19pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Update: He has said it was a mistake, and that he is really a blue. Why he chose to wait a week to clear it up, I do not know, but he is being honest about the BJJ now.

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 4:21pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    One more update, cause I know there's people in the area paying attention...

Spoke with Josh Russell from Gracie Barra Calgary, he doesn't know Ryan Fitzgerald, hasn't given him a blue, and quite frankly, doesn't want to be associated with him. At all.

Josh runs a great gym out there, and was very concerned about his name being used. So I repeat, Josh Russell does not know of him, and Gracie Barra Calgary is not connected in any way whatsoever to Dungeon MMA.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 4:28pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Keep up the good work. Sounds like this guy is padding his resume waaay too much.
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Registered Member

Posted On:
    6/27/2008 9:26pm

Style: MMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hey guys, just wanted to report in. Dungeon MMA turned out to be bullshit, but a couple of the guys they were getting to be trainers there opened up a pretty fuckin' great gym called Gladiator MMA. Mark Cleary's the MT instructor, and Rob Wynne leads the no-gi BJJ class. They also have 2 other UGC champs (not including Rob) and a pro fight team that's having tryouts soon.

Hope to see some of you guys there.

Light Heavyweight

Posted On:
    6/30/2008 11:59pm

supporting member
     Style: Short Fist Boxing

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Took a while to follow up, but glad to hear from you.
    I am always a bit more interested in these sorts of things when it is closer to my neck of the woods..mind you, Kingston is fucking long drive from here. I haven't been there since I was about 15.
    Did Dungeon close down?
    " If one wants to have a friend one must also want to wage war for him: and to wage war one must be capable of being an enemy." - Fr. Nietzsche 'On The Friend' Thus Spake Zarathustra

Posted On:
    5/12/2009 9:53pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Gladiator MMA is the best MMA gym in Kingston.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast