Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2007 8:54pm

Style: mozambique drill

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I'll pull out my textbooks and check tonight.

Guess which finger is the fickle one...

Posted On:
    11/14/2007 9:04pm

supporting member
     Style: Karate/ Arnis

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    While I agree that the grain structure of the wood can create a great deal of difference in the force needed to break it, I don't see what the point of the exercise is.

I have broken 1" boards that are kiln dried and cut from similar grain structures to provide consistancy. One simply picks the thickness dimension appropriate to their ability.

My question is;

What is the force necessary to break the average humans bones (face/limb)?

How does that force compare to the force necessary to break a given thickness of board?

Trying to prove that the grain structure of wood used for breaking is less than the same thickness of construction lumber is a red herring. The type and method of processing wood used for breaking is to provide consistancy, not to make it easier.

If you're looking for a structurally more stable material, try steel.
    If you can't laugh at yourself,
    Others will be happy to do it for you. :evil6:

The 2 most abundant elements in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity.

AKAKTK

Posted On:
    11/14/2007 10:01pm

Style: Liu Seong Gung Fu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    sounds like really fancy way to say cinders break because they are brittle.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2007 10:12pm

Style: Proudly Shaolin Do.

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    What I'd like to know is what you could use to simulate breaking (or a lack thereof) a human femur, because if I can break it, everything else is cake

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2007 11:28pm

Style: Hiatus for Gen. Fitness

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I used to hear these explanations all the time and, invariably, the people giving the explanation miss the point entirely. Telling me that there is much harder concrete out there to break (with the implication that what I do is thus some sort of sham or parlor trick or is easy) is the same as telling a power lifter that there are heavier weights out there to lift. Let me explain:

Competition generally allows for all levels of expertise. Thus, if we decide to use ironwood for board breaking, only people who can break through an inch of ironwood can compete. Furthermore, the gap between the people who could break two boards and the people who can break one board is doesn't give us any room in between. If, hypothetically, no one breaks 3 boards, then we are left without a method to judge a winner. Now, as an example, if we allow that four boards of whatever is being used requires the same amount of force to break one of our generic ironwood boards, we have a much more precise method of evaluating competition. Two-ironwood-board breakers may now break anywhere from 8-11 boards and, with that, we can see the difference in power between them.

Additionally, competition is meant both to compete and entertain. The competition requirement is met regardless of what material is used, the entertainment requirement is not met if the display looks less-than-amazing. It is far preferable to have a crowd awed at breaking a dozen slabs of concrete that to have one engineer marvel at a person breaking a high-durability concrete brick.

The metacarpals are about 40-50 times less likely to break than concrete (and while I have no clue how easy it is to break the elbow, I find the elbow a much better breaking surface,) thanks to the flexibility of the bones. The hardest part about powerbreaking is mental, you have to know that you can break whatever it is that you are setting up to break. It should come as a surprise to no one that pretty much anyone can do this with a little training and the right mindset: we see examples of the extreme things that the human body can do every time we watch a sporting event. Breaking isn't cheapened by the fact that the body is made to be able to do it, because the body has the potential to do a lot of things that a vast majority of people never even dream of doing.

Flyweight

Posted On:
    11/14/2007 11:38pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I just couldn't help myself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd4C8_FMdjA
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Posted On:
    11/14/2007 11:43pm

Style: Muay Thai n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    How do board break?

Heavyweight

Posted On:
    11/14/2007 11:54pm

supporting member
     Style: white boy jiujitsu

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Heh, some of you guys need to hang out with engineers more. We do these kinds of problems for fun, which is sad in itself. It's just fun to flex those muscles periodically. A few of my classmates and I would calculate the effect of spoilers on riced out cars just for the hell of it on roadtrips, as in the actual pounds of downforce produced, just because we were bored. (It's negligible at any reasonable speeds those cars drive at) It's just for fun.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 1:31am

Style: mozambique drill

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    And most of the time the spoilers are on front-drive cars where the downforce is on the wrong end and reduces traction.

Can't find my introductory materials textbook (probably lent it out to somebody) so I can't get the exact definition.
    Last edited by attakmint; 11/15/2007 4:54am at .

pro nonsense self defense

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 2:58am

supporting member
     Style: FMA, dumbek, Indian clubs

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Kiai!

...I'm just mad because all I know is anthropology.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast