Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2007 2:32am

Style: BJJ - SBGi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Positional suckiness?

So I have been having this issue, and it was highlighted even more so tonight. We were working on some basic guard passes and some defences when I noticed it. Each time that I would sit back in a good base, I would leave my head down or pointing towards the other guy. Each time he would be able to either goose neck me or pull me down by the lapel easily. I know that you are supposed to keep your head back or up, but how do you guys drill that into your heads? Is it just a passing stupidity that will one day remidy itself?

I never really understood the importance of body posture even in sitting in a combat base for an example.

Woke up in the mortuary

Posted On:
    11/14/2007 2:43am

Style: Judo, Sub wrestling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Don't look at your opponent when in his guard. (it's not gay if you don't make eye contact) Look up and away, maybe 15% above parallel with your opponent or a bit less. This will naturally make your neck have strong posture. Feel everything, don't look at anything.

Posted On:
    11/14/2007 5:52am

Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    If you're wearing a gi, always make sure the back of your neck touches the gi collar at the back, and look down at your opponent with your eyes not your head.

Pingo

Posted On:
    11/14/2007 8:10am

Style: BJJ & Judo

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Posture is everything. I always make sure that my chin is up and I'm looking a little higher than straight forward and that my back is straight (lumbar arch intact).

Also, keeping the posture triangle (hands, shoulders, hips) is really important in preventing your opponent from breaking your posture.

Anyhow, operant conditioning says that you'll learn to keep your head up soon enough. Just keep reminding yourself all the time, and eventually it'll become more and more natural.
    Last edited by ViciousFlamingo; 11/14/2007 8:16am at .

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2007 1:40pm

Style: BJJ - SBGi

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    thanks guys... I'll put it to practice