Sponsored Links Spacer Image

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    11/14/2007 12:28am

Style: bjj/(not enough)MT

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!

Unit2 Fitness - Atlanta, GA

Unit2 is Roberto "The Spider" Traven's recently opened martial arts/fitness gym in Midtown Atlanta. It has a local fight team composed of amateurs and professionals that fights regularly at various Atlanta MMA events such as those put on at Wild Bills and Cowboys Atlanta. Many of the grappling students also compete in tourneys such as Cassa Grossa and NAGA and recently Traven's team took home the Gold in Gi and the Silver in No-Gi there this past November.

Facility:
    The 11000 sq ft facility boasts a full size weight room, locker rooms, and a muay thai bag/kickboxing area. Grappling and MMA classes take place in a separate room with enough space for 10-12 concurrent sparring sessions, although Traven usually keeps it at 4-5 so that he can watch and coach. Three different classes can be scheduled at the same time but all have plenty of space in their own room/area.

I only gave a 7 for equipment because there are only 1-2 of any given bench/machine and most of it's not brand new. However, I've never had to wait to use anything except the water fountain and the weight room includes everything I've ever needed from a gym such as dumbbells, olympic lift-type bars/equipment, medicine balls, tractor tires, the sledge, pulley machines, kettle bells(!), etc. My only other gripe is that there's no ring or cage, but they tell me that they plan on putting in a 20ft MMA cage early next year.

Grappling:
    Both the beginner and regular BJJ classes are taught by the 5th-degree black belt Traven. There are a total of 4 Gi classes M-Th, morning and night, and 2 No-Gi classes on Friday as well as a class on Saturday. Classes consist of 1/4 warm-ups, 1/4 techniques with a compliant partner and the rest of the class full-go rolling. Traven has eyes like a hawk and will constantly be coaching everyone while sparring, with either tips or admonishments. As for the class belt breakdown: there are quite a few white belts and a few blues in the beginner class with the usual smattering of blues, purples, browns, and blacks in the regular class. From what I've seen so far, the classes average about 10-15 students on a busy day and Traven is always open if you want to ask him a question about something.

This is the class I normally attend and I haven't had any complaints, other than the fact that the other students can hand me my backsides pretty regularly.

Muay Thai/Boxing:
    Camron Wiltshire teaches the muay thai classes runs a pretty tight ship from what I've seen. Once a student can demonstrate the ability to take/throw a punch they begin full contact sparring with the usual equipment (head gear, gloves, shin guards) although the fight team will sometimes spar with just MMA or boxing gloves. Once I have more time with this class I'll add to this review.

Capoeira:
    I haven't taken this class but it appears pretty popular, with anywhere from 4-15 people taking it on a given night. Cap's not really my bag but the good number of girls that take it could be a big draw.

Kickboxing (cardio):
    This is your typical fitness class where students do bag work/techniques until they drop. A member of the fight team usually instructs it so the techniques are sound and everyone' I've seen is spent after the class.

Atmosphere:
    It's not quite a bizarro hippy ass-beating love fest but it's close. The instructors and students I've been around are calm, fun to be around, supportive... up until you train with them at which time they kick your ass, pick you up, shake your hand and then ask if you want more.

Pricing:
    There are a few types of membership. They vary on how you want to pay (month-to-month, 12 month contract, etc) and on whether you want the cheaper fitness-only version or if you want the martial arts classes.

Basically, $89/month gets you BJJ, muay thai, boxing, and capoeira if you're the bionic martial artist and can take the punishment of them all. You also get to use the weight room and bags during normal gym hours.

A cheaper plan includes just the kickboxing classes and the facility access, but none of us care about that.

*Check out the website as it has pics, bios, schedules (you know the drill)
    Last edited by partyboy; 11/14/2007 12:31am at .

Posted On:
    11/14/2007 1:29am

supporting memberstaff
     Style: Grappling

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quickly scanned the review, looks good.
    Does Roberto Traven hold any interest in competing in MMA again?
    Surfing Facebook at work? Spread the good word by adding us on Facebook today! https://www.facebook.com/Bullshido

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    11/14/2007 4:10pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by PizDoff
    Quickly scanned the review, looks good.
    Does Roberto Traven hold any interest in competing in MMA again?
    I'll have to ask him sometime when I get the chance. He's 39 now and hasn't had an MMA match in 2 years but I could definitely see him still being able to knock some heads.

^ the answer to life

Posted On:
    12/14/2008 7:07pm

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    just an update on the gym:

after doing some rearranging we now have both a ring and a full size cage
    In summation your argument denotes a lack of intellectual honesty on your part. It is my contention that this matter would best be solved with fisticuffs. I believe I will be victorious in this regard.

Posted On:
    12/20/2008 8:27am

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: BJJ

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Definitely one of the best gyms I've ever been too. Traven is one of the top instructors on the east coast.

Posted On:
    3/09/2009 2:10pm

Bullshido Newbie

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I am a member of Unit 2 and have been for about 1.5 years. I train in BJJ and Muay Thai boxing.

Fitness Equipment: They have a full weight room (ie free weights, machines, etc.) They also have plyometric boxes, medicine balls, tires for flipping and hitting with sledge and that kind of stuff. The gym has a small cardio equipment area (maybe 9 machines or so). I have never had to wait for any machine/equipment. I say this becuase they only have 1 or 2 of of each thing.

Martial Arts Equipment: In the Muay Thai area there are heavy bags (they have 2 bag areas, one for fitness classes and one for Muay Thai only). There is a full size boxing ring. Not one of those lame 16" things you normally see in gyms but a full competition ring. They have Thai pads, kick sheilds, etc. In the BJJ area they have tatame mats, wall pads, wrestling mats, and a full 20' cage. In the fitness area there are a bunch of Thai bags.

Fitness Classes: The cardio classes look pretty intense. They are taught by the guys on the fight team. They seem to teach basic Muay Thai style combinations in the class. Some of the Muay Thai students use the classes for conditioning and say they are good.

Martial Arts Classes: The Muay Thai classes are taught by Hugh and Travis. Both Hugh and Travis trained in Thailand. There are beginner classes and advanced classes. The beg. classes focus on techniques and have limited contact. The advanced classes work clinch and sparring. Most of the advanced students do both classes. The BJJ program is headed up by Roberto Traven. Traven is a world BJJ champion, Pan Am champion, Abu Dhaibi champion, and UFC veteran. He has a 5th degree black belt in BJJ. There are beginner classes (white belt/newer blue belts) and regular classes (blue belt and up). Traven is pretty traditional with belts and rank and it takes about a decade to get a black belt from him. There are no "camo" belts, MMA belts, or no-gi belts. Basically, just belts for performance in the gi.

Fight Team/Training: The whos-who of GA MMA shows up at Unit 2 to train MMA. Its not uncommon to see Jucao, Brian Stan, Brian Bowles, Rory Singer, the Assuncao brothers, and pretty much every other legit GA MMA fighter I have ever heard of at Unit 2. It seems like most of other MMA/BJJ schools instructors train at Unit 2.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    3/27/2009 3:01pm

Style: bum rush karate

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    I've been training BJJ about 6 months at Unit2. A great group of guys running the place and a great group of guys training. A lot of sweating. Minimal BS.

My only complaint is that the weightlifting area is a bit cramped but everything you could want is there and usually available for use.