Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast
Sponsored Links Spacer Image

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2007 12:49am

Style: PLUR

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    A few months at this pace, before that it was 3-4 hours of TKD per week. I've been training constantly for the last 10 years after a break for college/career starting/marriage etc. I'm in the process of rebuilding myself.
    Damn dude, I'd feel lethargic too if I trained like that for a few months. Unless you are training for a fight, I would cut that routine in half. Just double the intensity. And take an extra day off a week.

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/14/2007 2:49am

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Yeah, I took Saturday and Sunday off, felt great to recoup.
    I'm actually looking at 4 months or so before my first fight, sometimes I tend to go agro though when it comes to physical training. I think at times I forget I'm not 18 still heh.
    Thing is, I'm absolutely loving training, for the first time in 20 years it's new stuff and exciting. But yeah, I'll see about dialing it back a bit overall and see if that doesn't help. Spread it out more etc.

This episode I think was a combination of the aspirin thinning the blood, along with glutamine pre-workout (more blood), kind of a 'all at once' thing so I was left on empty. We'll see, but I'll tone things back a bit and work more on off days in spurts to even things out.

Thanks for the input all, I'll chock up the aspirin/ibu combo to sheer stupidity and not go that route again.

Porcupine/Hollywood, FL & Parmistan via Elbonia

Posted On:
    11/14/2007 11:08am

supporting member
     Style: creonte on hiatus

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uri Shatil
    You know what I do? DO NOT LISTEN TO ME WITHOUT DOING RESEARCH OF YOUR OWN FIRST, I AM QUITE POSSIBLY WRONG

IBUProfen and Tylenol, both painkillers, can be taken together with very little risk. For the most part, they don't interfere with one another at all. Again, this is all to the best of my knowledge, but it could be something to look into and consider.
    For the most part, yes, but if you are sensitive or allergic to ibuprofen, you should not take aspirin. It's in the labels. And being sensitive to ibuprofen doesn't mean you'll get the symptoms right away. Most people take ibuprofen once or twice in a day and that's it. Which is why some people sensitive to ibuprofen may not know that they are (since they never reach the intake required for them to show any symptoms.)

So, unless you know for certain that you are not sensitive to ibuprofen (which you'll know only if you have been diagnosed by a doctor and/or only if you have taken ibuprofen regularly and consistently for days without showing any symptoms ever), don't mix aspirin and ibuprofen.

Or at the very least, take them with plenty of hours apart. Why fucking around by mixing aspirins and ibuprofens. If you are in such pain that you feel you need to swallow that pill concotion, you'd be better off going to a doc to get a prescription for a more potent NSAID or opiate under his supervision (rather than mixing stuff and playing russian roulette.)

I know what you mean dude. I've done similar crap, and I've learned the painful hard way that doing so is a ticket to the Darwin Awards Club.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

t-nation - Dissecting the deadlift. Anatomy and Muscle Balancing Videos.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Flyweight

Posted On:
    11/14/2007 12:12pm

supporting member
     Style: BJJ, MT, MMA, CQB

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    As someone mentioned above, if you're going to mix painkillers then Acetaminophen (Tylenol) and Ibuprofen (Advil) should be okay just don't go crazy on the dosage.

Of course, I'm just a guy on the internets, you should confirm with a doctor.
    :Determined:
    HTFU and join Bullshido on Fitocracy!
    http://ftcy.co/tBAxyj

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/15/2007 12:01am

Style: Wrestling, BJJ n00b

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Teh El Macho
    For the most part, yes, but if you are sensitive or allergic to ibuprofen, you should not take aspirin. It's in the labels. And being sensitive to ibuprofen doesn't mean you'll get the symptoms right away. Most people take ibuprofen once or twice in a day and that's it. Which is why some people sensitive to ibuprofen may not know that they are (since they never reach the intake required for them to show any symptoms.)

So, unless you know for certain that you are not sensitive to ibuprofen (which you'll know only if you have been diagnosed by a doctor and/or only if you have taken ibuprofen regularly and consistently for days without showing any symptoms ever), don't mix aspirin and ibuprofen.

Or at the very least, take them with plenty of hours apart. Why fucking around by mixing aspirins and ibuprofens. If you are in such pain that you feel you need to swallow that pill concotion, you'd be better off going to a doc to get a prescription for a more potent NSAID or opiate under his supervision (rather than mixing stuff and playing russian roulette.)

I know what you mean dude. I've done similar crap, and I've learned the painful hard way that doing so is a ticket to the Darwin Awards Club.
    I don't quite think you caught my meaning. The chemical marketed as Asprin is different than the chemical marketed as Tylenol; that's the point I was trying to make. I don't know if asprin reacts to IBU (well, I do after reading this thread), but I am fairly certain that Tylenol does not reacts to IBU at all.

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 6:48am

Style: MMA, JKD philosophy

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Hmmm, years ago I quit taking aspirin because it would give me wicked stomach pain. I took tylenol for pain for years with no problems, but when I started getting into grappling I started taking Ibuprofen to reduce the swelling in my beat up joints.

I was used to taking 3 tylenol (I forget how many mg's) because I'm well over 200 lbs, so the first time I took ibuprofen I took two and it didn't help, a half hour later I took 2 more. I was still miserable a half hour after that, so I took two more. They were so tiny, I was figuring I had to take as much as I did Tylenol. Since they weren't working I then took two Tylenol.

I don't know if the headache and joint pains was a flu starting, but I ended up on the shitter all weekend with diarrhea and I had to keep a wastebasket in my lap to puke in. Going at both ends simultaneously is scary.

Anybody want to hear about the time I got E.coli from Wendy's? Or the time I got E. coli from eating old cheezits from under a couch on a dare?

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 10:02am

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Quote Originally Posted by Uri Shatil
    I don't quite think you caught my meaning. The chemical marketed as Asprin is different than the chemical marketed as Tylenol; that's the point I was trying to make. I don't know if asprin reacts to IBU (well, I do after reading this thread), but I am fairly certain that Tylenol does not reacts to IBU at all.
    Oh. I did miss that part. In fact, you are teh correct. Tylenol can be used with lower dosages of NSAIDs. Whatever side effects tylenol may have, they aren't (or don't seem to be) related to IBU intake.
    Read this for flexibility and injury prevention, this, this and this for supplementation, this on grip conditioning, and this on staph. New: On strenght standards, relationships and structural balance. Shoulder problems? Read this.

My crapuous vlog and my blog of training, stuff and crap. NEW: Me, Mrs. Macho and our newborn baby.

New To Weight Training? Get the StrongLifts 5x5 program and Rippetoe's "Starting Strength, 2nd Ed". Wanna build muscle/gain weight? Check this article. My review on Tactical Nutrition here.

The street argument is retarded. BJJ is so much overkill for the street that its ridiculous. Unless you're the idiot that picks a fight with the high school wrestling team, barring knife or gun play, the opponent shouldn't make it past double leg + ground and pound - Osiris

Registered Member

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 11:40am

Style: MMA, BJJ, CMD, TKD, FMA

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    update: had the knee drained and cortisoned, the swelling is about all gone now.
    It's an arthritic response, but over the last 20+ years they still haven't nailed down 'what' it is. The Rheumatologist suggested Hydroxychloroquine, it should keep them from doing the flareup so I'll give them a shot for the initial 6 months, if it works stick with. (Great price through Costco too) Otherwise it's drain when they blow up. Either way, no more asprin/ibu combos for me heh.

Thanks for all of the input btw, it did educate me on Aspirin poisoning and gave me a quick right cross on why not to mix.

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 12:45pm

supporting member

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    Wow, the cause and fix was completely unexpected. Good to hear you got it treated, and good luck with the new med. Keep us posted man.

Featherweight

Posted On:
    11/16/2007 1:07pm

Bullshido Newbie
     Style: Bagua

--
    Hell yeah! Hell no!
    For me I knew the instant I took ibuprofen that I was allergic to it. I started iching every where. I had a similiar problem knee injury.

Your avatar Teh El Macho, is real picture dang that is just twisted.

Aside from that nice to hear somone get there knee fixed, I never did it had to naturally go down. Hurt like....
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 12 34 LastLast